Tonsillitis defined as the inflammation of tonsils, which are lymph nodes located on both sides at the back of the throat. It is seen more commonly in children rather than adults.
It is caused as a result of viral infections and at certain times, it occurs due to bacterial (streptococcus) infections causing enlargement of tonsils. The doctor can vary the condition in mild, moderate and severe cases. This can be acute or chronic
Sore throat, swollen glands on the tonsils, headache, difficulty in swallowing, bad breath, runny nose, fever, pain and tenderness in the throat, loss of appetite, nausea, unable to speak properly, yellowish or whitish coating over tonsils tissues, earache, throbbing blisters on the throat, sneezing and coughing are some common symptoms of tonsillitis.
This is a highly contagious disease that can spread easily and quickly from one to another. The virus or bacteria causing this infection can be transmitted through droplets in the air either from sneezing or coughing or social contact.
So, one should rinse their hands before and after consuming food and maintain some physical hygiene to get rid of this problem. The usage of antibiotics will work only if the tonsillitis is caused by bacteria and also there is no guarantee that antibiotics will work.
However, there are many medicines and OTC treatments available for treating tonsillitis but the usage of natural home remedies will definitely help you to get rid of the problem in a safe and cost-effective way.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Tonsillitis:
Here are some natural remedies that help you to manage the symptoms and fight the infection to get rid of the problem.
Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Lemon)
The antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties of lemon will help to clear the infection along with the inflammation or swelling caused by tonsillitis. The acidic nature and vitamin C content of the lemon will help to improve the body’s resistance to infections.
Here are few ways of using lemon for treating tonsillitis.
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon freshly into a cup and then add 1 teaspoon of honey and a pinch of salt to it. Stir well and drink it slowly for twice daily till you get rid of the problem.
- Simply sprinkle a little salt and pepper on a slice of lemon and start sucking it. This will help to force the phlegm out of the throat. Continue doing this process for 2 – 3 times daily for few days to get relief from tonsillitis.
Remedy – 2: (Basil)
Being antiviral and anti-inflammatory agent, basil acts as the best remedy for treating tonsillitis. It kills the bacteria or virus causing swelling and infection in the lymph nodes with its healing and soothing properties.
- Take 10 – 12 basil leaves in a pan filled with 1 ½ cups of water.
- Boil it for about 10 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Strain it and add the juice extracted freshly from 1 lemon and 1 teaspoon of honey to it.
- Stir well and drink this basil tea for 2 – 3 times daily for about 3 – 4 days to get relief from tonsillitis.
Note: Or crush few basil leaves and add them to 1 cup of warm milk. Stir well by adding some honey to it. Drink this basil milk for at least once daily till the infection and inflammation cleared on the tonsils.
Remedy – 3: (Turmeric)
The curcumin content in turmeric exhibits antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help you to fight against the tonsillitis infection along with relieving your irritating symptoms.
Here are few ways of using turmeric for tonsillitis.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to 1 glass of salt water (or hot water) and use it to gargle the mix for several times daily. Prefer to perform this action at night before going to bed. Regular follow up of this gargling process will help to get rid of the soreness and inflammation.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and a pinch of black pepper powder in 1 glass of warm milk. Stir well and drink this turmeric milk at night before going to bed to speed up the healing process. Daily intake of this milk for about 3 – 4 days will definitely help you to get rid of the problem.
- Or simply mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 glass of warm milk (coconut or almond milk) and drink this milk. Perform this action for twice daily to cure the pain and swelling associated with tonsillitis.
Remedy – 4: (Honey)
Honey is an age-old remedy that effectively used to treat a sore throat and to clear throat infections caused by bacteria or virus, including tonsillitis. It exhibits antimicrobial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that speed up the healing process.
Here are few ways of using honey for tonsillitis.
- Add 4 teaspoons of raw honey, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and some fresh lemon juice in 1 glass of warm water. Stir well and drink it to reduce tonsillitis pain. For best results, drink this warm honey water for 2 – 3 times daily.
- Ginger has the antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory property that soothes your throat tonsillitis. Mix 1 teaspoon of raw honey and some ginger juice in 1 cup of warm water. Stir well and use it to gargle (or) drink ginger tea by adding honey to get the soothing effect.
- Cinnamon inhibits the growth of bacteria and other micro-organisms to reduce swelling and pain occurred in tonsils. Mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 2 teaspoons of honey in 1 glass of hot water. Sip it slowly and continue the intake of this drink for 2 – 3 times daily for a week.
- Take few garlic cloves and crush them to make a fine paste. Warm them slightly in the microwave and add enough honey to it. Stir and apply it externally by using a cotton ball on the inflamed tonsil area.
Remedy – 5: (Slippery Elm)
The mucilage is a gel-like substance in slippery elm that helps to ease soreness, pain, and inflammation. if taken internally then it soothes and heals inflamed tissues and mucus membranes of the throat by clearing the bacteria or virus causing tonsillitis.
Here are few ways of using slippery elm in getting rid of tonsillitis.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of the inner bark of slippery elm in 2 cups of boiling water. Stir well and let it steep for 5 – 7 minutes. Strain the mix and drink it warm water slowly to get rid of the problem. The intake of this mix for twice daily will help to clear the problem.
- Mix 3 teaspoons of the powdered bark of slippery elm, 2 teaspoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder in 4 teaspoons of warm water. Stir well and take 1 teaspoon of this mix daily at regular intervals till you get complete relief from the problem.
Remedy – 6: (Mint)
Mint is another powerful antimicrobial agent that kills the bacteria and virus causing tonsillitis. The menthol content in the mint will help to soothe the irritated mucous membranes and give relief from its symptoms.
- Take a handful of mint leaves and boil it in a pan filled with 1 glass of water.
- Let it boil for few minutes until the water has reduced to half of the quantity.
- Turn off the water and strain the mix.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of honey to it and stir well.
- Drink this warm mint tea slowly to get a soothing effect.
- Repeat the intake of this tea for 2 – 3 times daily until you get rid of the problem.
Note: Also, gargle by using a mint flavored mouthwash for several times daily until you get rid of tonsillitis.
Remedy – 7: (Fenugreek)
The antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties of fenugreek properties will help to kill the bacteria causing tonsillitis and also gives you instant relief from the pain and inflammation.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in 2 – 3 cups of water and boil it.
- Simmer for 30 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Strain and let it cool for few minutes.
- Finally, use this mix to gargle for at least 30 seconds and spit it out.
- Continue this process for twice daily until you get complete relief from tonsillitis.
Remedy – 8: (Figs)
The high mucilage content in figs is effective in reducing the pain and soreness caused by tonsillitis. Regular follow up will help to alleviate the symptoms of tonsillitis.
Here are few ways of using figs for treating tonsillitis.
- Take 3 dried figs and boil it for few minutes. Mash them properly and consume it with 1 tablespoon of honey. Eat them for 2 – 3 times daily to treat tonsillitis effectively.
- Boil and mash some fresh figs in that boiling water to make a paste. Then apply this paste on the outer side of the throat where you’re suffering from this infection. Let it dry naturally for few minutes and rinse off with warm water. Do it once daily until you relieve the pain from tonsillitis.
Do you know strep throat (streptococcus bacteria) is one form of tonsillitis? So, go through these Natural Ways to get rid of strep throat, if caused by bacterial infection.
Tips and Precautions:
- Prevention is always better than cure. So, prevent the inflammation from occurring in the first place or getting worse by simply enhancing your immune system through a healthy diet.
- Warm salt water gargle will help to soothe and kill the virus or bacteria causing tonsillitis along with the pain and inflammation. Mix 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water and stir. Use it to gargle for few seconds. Don’t swallow it and spit out the water after gargle. Repeat it regularly.
- Reduce your stress levels and avoid anything that puts extra stress on your body, as they worsen your problem.
- Always choose tonsillectomy as a last resort treatment option why because it is very painful and risky, as it removes lymphatic tissue (a protective agent).
- Get plenty of rest, which helps to speed up the healing process. So, go for a sound sleep of at least 7 hours at night and take a break from the gym or any exercise routine to reduce the stress and strain to your body.
- Run a humidifier (or vaporizer) to moisten the indoor air and to discomfort and pain in the throat. Remember that the cleaner the air which you breathe, the less swollen your air passages and heals you from infection.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids like fresh fruit or vegetable juices, herbal teas (chamomile tea or sage tea), hot fluids (chicken soups or hot soups or broths), ice creams or flavored popsicles, etc. will help to soothe the throat and clear the infection in the tonsils.
- Keep your home and surroundings clean and dirt free to prevent the spread of this infection and also make sure to cover your mouth while coughing or sneezing to prevent its spread.
- Avoid any close contact with the person those who are suffering from this tonsillitis, as it can easily spread from one to another. Also, avoid sharing your personal things like towels, glasses, utensils, handkerchief, etc. with the infected person.
- You can also use other natural remedies like consuming bitter gourd, placing ice cold compress on the affected area, gargling with onion juice, vodka gargling, apple cider vinegar gargle, drinking the juice prepared with carrot, cucumber, and beetroot, etc. will help to get relief from
- Quit smoking and lessen the intake of caffeinated or carbonated beverages like tea or coffee which may aggravate your symptoms of tonsillitis.
- Refrain from sour or spicy foods until you get relief from the inflammation of tonsil tissue. Always prefer to consume soft and smooth food like applesauce, mashed potato soup or yogurt instead of crunchy or crispy food. Consume foods which contain antibacterial and anti-inflammatory property to soothe your irritated throat.
- Avoid using antiseptic mouthwashes, decongestants, anti-histamines, etc. why because they won’t fight the causes of tonsillitis and also wind up adding some more pain.
- Most experts suggest some diet plans such as foods contains nutrients and antioxidants (like green leafy vegetables, berries, omega – 3 foods, nuts & seeds, herbs & spices, unrefined oils, cruciferous veggies, etc.) and avoid the intake of foods (dairy or gluten products, low-quality animal products, refined vegetable oils, processed foods, high sugar containing snacks, crops heavily sprayed with pesticides, etc.
Tonsillitis is not a serious problem but causes some discomforts and irritation and finally make you unable to speak. If you didn’t get any relief from tonsillitis and its symptoms after 3 – 4 days then make sure to consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
Did you find this article helpful? Do you know any other successful remedies for tonsillitis? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply