Runny nose (or rhinorrhea), as the name itself saying, that there is a continuous discharge of a fluid from your nostrils. It is a common respiratory problem that occurs as a part of body’s mechanism to flush out the cold or flu viruses, allergens, and irritants in the form of increased mucus production.
It is caused due to cold, sinus infection, allergies or a sudden change in the weather. It has to be treated on time or else, it results in earaches, headaches, coughing and other health problems.
Usage of over the counter medicines may treat the problem but causes some side effects like drowsiness. So, go through the best home remedies to get relief from the problem naturally without any side effects.
Home Remedies for Runny Nose:
Here are some natural remedies that give relief from this uncomfortable condition by expelling the fluid comfortably.
Remedy – 1: (Salt Water Rinse)
Salt water helps to thin the mucus and expels it easily to clear all the irritants out of the nasal passage. This salt water rinse is safe to use for children also.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 2 cups of distilled warm water.
- Pour few drops of this mix into one nostril by using a dropper.
- Make sure to tilt your head back while doing this process.
- Gently inhale the solution to reach into the nasal passages and blow your nose to clear excess mucus along with this solution.
- Repeat the same with the other nostril to get relief.
- Continue it for a couple of times daily till you get rid of the problem completely.
Note: Or go through nasal rinse using neti pot filled with this saline solution.
Remedy – 2: (Ginger)
Ginger is a well-known remedy for treating respiratory problems with its antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties. It thins the mucus and clears it to get rid of a runny nose.
- Cut 1 – 2 inch piece of fresh ginger into slices and pour them in 1 cup of hot water.
- Steep it for about 10 minutes and strain it.
- Add a little honey and drink it to get rid of cold, cough, runny nose and other respiratory problems.
- Or simply chew few slices of fresh ginger root either directly or by sprinkling some salt or honey on it.
- Pour few ginger pieces in a hot water bowl before inhaling the steam.
Remedy – 3: (Steam Inhalation)
Steam loosen up the mucus and clears out the excess mucus causing runny nose, sneezing, and irritation. For additional benefits, add some herbs (mint, ginger or basil) or essential oils (camphor, pine, thymol or eucalyptus oil) to the hot water for steaming.
- Pour hot water over a large bowl and hold the face over this bowl of hot water.
- Be sure to cover your head with a towel to prevent the steam.
- Then breathe in the steam for few minutes and blow your nose.
- Continue this steam inhalation for twice daily (once in the morning and once at night before bedtime) till you get rid of the problem.
Note: Also, add few drops of eucalyptus oil to this hot water before breathing (or) take a hot bath or shower.
Remedy – 4: (Mustard Oil)
Mustard oil has antiviral, antihistamine and antimicrobial properties that fight against the microbes and drains out the mucus to treat the infection.
- Warm a small amount of mustard oil and pour 1 – 2 drops of this warm oil in each nostril with the help of a dropper.
- Tilt the head for a couple of minutes to make the oil reach the sinus cavities and nasal passages.
- After that, blow the nose to clear out dirt, virus, and allergens along with mucus.
- Continue the same for 2 – 3 times daily.
- Or pour 1 tablespoon of caraway seeds, 2 – 3 tablespoons of mustard oil in a pot of boiling water. Stir well and breathe the steam to clear the respiratory system and runny nose.
- Also, include mustard oil in your daily cooking.
Remedy – 5: (Turmeric)
Curcumin in turmeric possesses antimicrobial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that make turmeric as the best remedy for treating the respiratory problem.
- Add 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of grated ginger, 1 – 2 teaspoons of raw honey and a pinch of clove powder in 1 – 2 cups of water.
- Stir well and simmer for about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Strain it and drink it 1 – 2 times daily to get rid of a runny nose.
- Or mix 2 turmeric powder and 5 – 6 black pepper powder in 2 cups of milk. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Let the milk cool down and drink it by adding 2 – 3 teaspoons of honey.
- Or soak 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric in 1 cup of linseed oil. Heat it till the mix starts smoking and then inhale the smoke slowly through 1 nostril and then the other to get relief.
Remedy – 6: (Garlic)
- Boil 3 – 4 cloves of chopped garlic in 1 cup of water for few minutes.
- Strain the mix and drink it by adding some sugar to it.
- Intake of this mix for twice daily will help to get relief from the problem.
Note: Or simply chew a garlic clove for 3 – 4 times daily to clear the infection (or) take its supplement after consulting your doctor.
Remedy – 7: (Horseradish)
Mucolytic properties in horseradish help to drain off the nose and sinuses. It has antimicrobial properties that prevent the infection and gives relief from the infection.
- Grate a small piece of horseradish and hold 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of this grated horseradish into your mouth.
- Hold it on for few seconds till it becomes flavorless.
- After that, swallow it to clear mucus from the nose and throat.
- Repeat it to get rid of your runny nose.
Note: Or mix 1/4 cup of chopped onions and 1/8 cup of grated horseradish in 1 cup of water. Simmer it for 5 minutes and strain it. Sip this warm tea 2 – 3 times daily to relieve the problem.
Tips and Precautions:
- Chewing 3 – 4 fresh basil leaves once in the morning on an empty stomach and at night before bedtime will give relief from a runny nose and enhance proper sleep.
- Also, consume a mix prepared by stirring a pinch of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice in 2 tablespoons of honey (or) simply consume honey (or) honey-lemon water.
- Drink plenty of water, healthy fruits or vegetable juices, clear soups, herbal teas (like sage tea or stinging nettle), etc. to stay hydrated and to flush out the toxins from the body.
- Avoid the intake of wheat foods, saturated fats, dairy products, dried fruits, tomatoes, processed meat, spinach, breast, etc. from your diet till you get cleared from this infection.
- Include more of vitamin C and antioxidant rich foods to strengthen your immunity and to clear the mucus along with the infection.
- Relax well which helps to body to gain more energy and fight against the problem and its damage to the body.
- Always stay away from the nasal irritants like pollens, pets, certain foods, dust mites, latex, etc. and also consult your doctor if you’re suffering from a runny nose along with sinus pain or fever for proper diagnose and treatment.
Try these natural remedies for treating a runny nose. Do you know any other effective methods? Then share it with us in the below comments box.