A headache is a most common health problem faced by everyone in this busy world. It is an indication that our body is lacking something, which can be a breathe, water to stay hydrated, improper posture, food sensitivity or nutrient or vitamin deficiency.
There are 3 types of headaches in general – a tension headache (gets discomfort in head and neck due to muscle tightness), migraine headache (an intense headache with nausea and sensitivity to light and sound) and cluster headache (pain is limited to one side of the head).
Physiological changes in the head, genetics, stress, overuse of painkillers, dehydration, nutritional deficiency, constriction of blood vessels, allergies, abnormal neuron activity, smoking, alcohol intake, over or lack of sleep, eye or neck strain, etc. are some causes of headaches.
Instead of simply popping a pill (over the counter or prescription pain – relievers), you can just try some natural remedies to get rid of a headache that is safe and heals the problem naturally.
Home Remedies for Headache:
Here are the best and effective natural remedies, which include herbs, diet changes, posture corrections and more that help you to overcome this headache in a natural and healthy way.
Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Ginger)
Ginger has an anti-inflammatory property that reduces the pain and inflammation of the blood vessels and thereby provides soothing relief from a headache.
Here are some ways of using ginger for treating your headache.
- Mix equal quantities of fresh ginger juice and lemon juice in a bowl. Stir well and consume it once or twice daily.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of dry ginger powder to 2 tablespoons of water till it forms a fine paste. Apply this paste on the forehead and massage gently for few minutes to get relief from your headache.
- Boil ginger powder or raw ginger pieces in water and inhale the vapor to treat your headache.
- Drink ginger tea prepared by steeping few slices of ginger root in 1 cup of boiled water for few minutes and add some honey and lemon juice to it.
- Chew 1 – 2 pieces of ginger slices (or) crystallized ginger candy (or) include ginger in your daily diet.
Remedy – 2: (Cold or Hot Compress)
Cold or ice compress will exhibit a numbing effect on the pain and reduces inflammation causing a headache. It also constricts the blood vessels and relieves you from the pain and pressure causing this throbbing ache.
If you’re suffering from tension or anxiety or cold weather, then applying hot compress will help you to get rid of a headache. If you want, you can try alternating hot or cold compress till you get rid of the problem.
- Prepare a cold compress by placing few ice cubes in a cloth (or) dip a cloth in ice cold water (or) an ice pack (or) a bag of frozen vegetables on the head area where you’re getting throbbing pain for few minutes to get rid of the problem.
- Prepare a hot compress by soaking a washcloth in hot water and wring it to remove excess water. Apply the cloth in such a way to cover your forehead and eyes. Leave it for few minutes and reapply it, if needed to get rid of your headache.
Remedy – 3: (Peppermint Oil)
Peppermint is an herbal remedy that has soothing, calming and numbing properties which reduce a headache and the discomfort caused by it. It has menthol that helps to open or close the vessels to promote proper blood circulation and thereby heals a headache quickly.
Here are few ways of using peppermint oil for treating headaches.
- Apply some peppermint oil directly on the forehead, temples, and back of the neck. Massage gently for few minutes and take rest for few minutes to clear headaches.
- Crush a handful of peppermint leaves and extract its juice. Apply this juice (or crushed peppermint leaves) on the forehead and temples to get rid of tension headaches.
- Mix 3 – 5 drops of peppermint oil in 1 tablespoon of carrier oil (coconut or almond or olive oil or water). Stir and use it to massage on your forehead and temples for few minutes.
- Add few drops of peppermint essential oil to a large bowl of hot water. Cover your head till the bowl with a towel and inhale the steam for few minutes.
- Also, extract the juice of handful of crushed mint leaves (or coriander leaves) and apply it on the forehead and temples to treat your headache (or) place mint teas as a compress on the forehead to relieve the discomforts of headache.
Note: Also, use lavender oil for treating your tension and migraine headaches. Pour few drops of oil on a tissue or handkerchief and inhale it (or) inhale the steam by pouring few drops of oil in boiling water (or) mix 3 – 4 drops of this oil with 1 teaspoon of carrier oil and massage it on your forehead to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 4: (Basil)
Basil acts as a muscle relaxant and exhibits calming and analgesic effects to get rid of throbbing headache. It works best for a headache that caused due to tension and tight muscles.
Here are some best ways of using basil for preventing headache.
- Place 3 – 5 fresh basil leaves in 1 cup of boiling water. Simmer for few minutes and then drink this basil tea by adding some honey to it.
- Pour few basil leaves or few drops of basil oil in a pot of boiling water. Then lean over the pot to inhale the steam but be sure to cover your head with a towel to prevent the escape of steam.
- Simply chew few fresh basil leaves (or) massage your forehead and temples with basil oil alone or by diluting it with any carrier oil to get rid of a headache.
Remedy – 5: (Cayenne Pepper)
Cayenne pepper stimulates proper blood circulation to prevent a headache. It also contains an ingredient called capsaicin, which helps to inhibit substance P (pain perception) and thereby clears your headache.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in 4 ounces of warm water.
- Stir well by using a cotton swab.
- Apply this swab gently to the inside of each nostril.
- You will feel a heat along with burning sensation to get rid of a headache.
Remedy – 6: (Rosemary)
Rosemary oil has rosmarinic acid that exhibits soothing and anti-inflammatory properties to treat your headache.
- Boil 1 teaspoon each of crushed rosemary leaves and crushed sage leaves in 1 cup of water.
- Turn off and cover it and steep it for 10 minutes.
- Allow the tea to cool to room temperature and drink this rosemary tea.
- Continue drinking this herbal tea for 2 – 3 times daily.
- Or massage the forehead and temples with few drops of rosemary oil mixed in 1 tablespoon of carrier oil.
- Make sure that rosemary oil is not suitable for people who are suffering from high blood pressure or epilepsy.
Remedy – 7: (Feverfew)
Feverfew herb is used to treat a migraine and tension headaches by relaxing the tension or constrict blood vessels and eases the painful pressure. It effectively reduces inflammation and overall pain to get rid of a headache.
- Mix 1 ounce of fresh or dried feverfew flowers in 1 pint of boiling water.
- Stir well and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain it and drink 1/2 cup of this tea for twice daily till you can relief from a headache.
Note: Or use butterbur to reduce the pain or inflammation on the affected area.
Tips and Precautions:
- Lack of water is one major cause for getting headaches. So, it’s recommended to drink 9 – 10 glasses of water throughout the day to keep your body stay hydrated and prevent the chance of getting headaches. Also, include water-rich fruits and vegetables.
- Munch on some almonds (contain salicin, acts as a pain reliever) to get rid of everyday tension – type headaches.
- Include magnesium (block the pain – transmitting chemicals in the brain), B vitamins (helps in the formation of neurotransmitters), fiber-rich foods, gluten – free diet, fish oil, etc. in your diet.
- Go for apple cider vinegar compress by pouring 1/4 cup of ACV in 3 cups of boiling water and inhale the steam. Be sure to drink 1 glass of cool water after this process.
- Do some stretches, relax and breathe freely by doing yoga and meditation, exercise regularly, enjoy the outdoors, turn your activity to any fun or relaxing for few minutes, enjoy a cup of herbal tea or coffee, etc. to get rid of headaches.
- Improve your posture by trying an ergonomic chair which provides a proper balance and strength to maintain posture.
- It’s best to keep a food diary to know what causes you a headache and remove them from your diet list.
- Try acupuncture and acupressure by consulting your doctor to get rid of the problem.
- Reduce oily or processed foods, salt, MSG and chocolates from your diet while suffering from a headache.
- Detox bath will help to reduce a tension headache by flushing out the toxins from the skin. You can use baking soda, essential oils, and apple cider vinegar in your bathtub and use it to get rid of your headache.
- If you didn’t get any relief from a headache, then consult your doctor immediately for proper diagnose and treatment.
Try these natural headache remedies to get rid of your problem. Do you know any other successful remedies for headache? Then share it with us in the below comments box.