Do you suffer from fever with a sore throat and loss of appetite? Then it can be a strep throat.
Strep throat (streptococcal pharyngitis) is a throat infection that caused due to a class of bacteria called group A streptococcus. It can affect the tonsils, larynx, and pharynx.
White patches on the throat, fever, stomach ache, sore throat, red and swollen tonsils, loss of appetite, difficulty in swallowing, swollen lymph nodes, fatigue and vomiting are some the symptoms of strep throat.
Children below 15 years are more prone to strep throat than adults. It is a highly contagious disease that affects most commonly in the winter months. So, it should be treated quickly or else, it results in many health complications.
The usage of antibiotics or over the counter medications will treat strep throat but might result in some side effects. Don’t worry about this health issue; the mother nature has given so many remedies for treating this health problem.
Home Remedies for Strep Throat:
Here are the best natural remedies that speed up the recovery process by alleviating the pain and discomfort caused by strep throat.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that fight against the bacteria causing infection. it has essential nutrients, acids, and enzymes that strengthen your immune system to prevent this problem.
- Add 2 – 3 teaspoons of raw ACV in 1 cup of warm water and stir well.
- Use this water to gargle for few minutes.
- Continue gargling for several times in a day on the regular basis till you get rid of this bacterial infection.
Note: Or mix 1 tablespoon of organic ACV and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 1 glass of warm water. stir well and drink it twice daily till you feel better from the infection.
Method – 2: (Garlic)
Garlic has rich content of sulfur that filters your blood to remove the infection. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that clear bacteria and relieves your pain and discomfort.
It has a good source of vitamins (B6 & C), minerals (selenium & manganese) that support your immune system for overall health and well-being.
- Pour 1 cup of water in a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of grated garlic, a pinch of cayenne pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon in this water.
- Stir well and boil it for another 3 – 4 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and drink it warm for twice daily till you recovered from this bacterial infection.
- Also, chew few garlic slices for several times daily.
- Or replace garlic with an onion. Chew onion slices or gargle the mix prepared by adding 3 – 4 tablespoons of onion juice to 1 glass of hot water for several times a day.
Method – 3: (Cayenne Pepper)
Capsaicin in cayenne pepper will help to flush out the toxins and other agents causing infection in your body. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that combat the bacterial growth and reduces your pain and inflammation.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and 3 grated garlic cloves in 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Stir well and consume 1/2 teaspoon of this mix for every hour till you get relief.
- Don’t drink water immediately after consuming this mix.
- Or mix 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice in 1 glass of warm water. Use this solution to gargle for few times daily till you notice some improvement in your health.
- Also, mix 1 teaspoon each of salt, clove powder, and cayenne pepper. Then mix 1/4 teaspoon of this mix in 2 tablespoons of warm water and use it to gargle for every 3 – 4 waking hours.
Method – 4: (Sage)
The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties in sage will combat the growth of bacteria and relieves you from the pain and irritation caused by strep throat.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of dried sage to 1 cup of hot water.
- Cover it and let it steep for 10 minutes and strain the mix.
- Drink 2 cups of this sage tea daily to get a quick relief from the strep throat.
- Or mix a juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1 teaspoon of salt in 1/2 cup of hot sage tea. Stir well and use it to gargle 3 – 4 times a day for 2 – 3 days.
- Pregnant or nursing mother should avoid using sage without consulting their doctor.
Method – 5: (Cinnamon)
Cinnamon exhibits antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that give relief from the strep throat and its symptoms. It also boosts up your immune system to enhance your health and combat the bacterial action.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder to 1 cup of hot water.
- Stir well and keep this mix aside for 10 minutes.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of honey in this mix and drink it for 3 – 4 times daily till you get recovered from your strep throat problem.
Tips and Precautions:
- Warm salt water gargle will reduce the pain and other discomforts caused by strep throat. Salt will kill the bacteria and warm water soothes your throat. So, mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water. Use this water to gargle for few seconds and spit it out. Repeat it at regular intervals.
- Vitamin C in the lemon will prevent bacteria and honey heals you sore and irritated throat. So, mix 1 tablespoon each of fresh lemon juice and honey in 1 cup of lukewarm water and sip it slowly.
- Always remember to spit out the gargle mix to prevent the bacteria from your throat.
- Drinking herbal tea like chamomile tea for 2 – 3 times daily will help you to get relief from strep throat.
- Intake of any natural oil will soothe your irritated throat by coating with its healing properties. Consume 1 teaspoon of natural oil or sunflower oil slowly but avoid drinking water immediately after drinking.
- Get plenty of rest which in turn provides essential strength and energy to the body to fight against this bacterial infection. Also, run a humidifier to add moisture to the air which in turn eases your discomforts.
- Drink more of water and other healthy fluids to prevent dehydration. Also, consume some soothing foods like soups, cooked cereal, mashed potato, yogurt, cucumber, broths and soft fruits along with ice creams or popsicles to soothe your throat.
- Always stay away from irritants like cigarette smoking, alcohol consumption, fumes from cleaning products or paint, etc. to get quick relief from strep throat.
- Have some healing baths by mixing 1 cup of Epsom salt (or baking soda) in your bathtub filled with warm water for about 20 minutes. This bath will alkalize your body and provides relief from pain and irritation.
- Consult your doctor immediately if you don’t get any relief from the pain, fever and irritation for proper diagnose and treatment.
Hope you’ll try these natural remedies and tips. Let us know which one works well in treating your strep throat problem by sharing your experience in the comments section.