An Earache will make you not to concentrate on any work till you get relief from the pain. It is an inflammation of the middle or outer ear that generally caused due to ear infection, increase the pressure in the ear due to blockage of Eustachian tube or buildup of fluids in the middle ear.
Other reasons that include cold weather, an increase or decrease in the air pressure (while traveling in flights), ear wax, allergies, physical damage to the inside part of the ear, exposure to loud sounds, blockage in the nasal passage, etc.
Having pain in the ear, fever, feeling sick, buzzing sounds in the ear, swelling and itching, ear blockage, etc. are some symptoms seen in people suffering from an earache. If left untreated, then it causes slight hearing loss.
Children are more prone to an earache rather than adults. An earache might attack at any time, so here we are going to know how to treat your earache with simple natural remedies that are available in the home.
Home Remedies for Earache:
Here are the best remedies that effectively treat your earache and its symptoms. All you need is to follow them regularly without any interruption.
Remedy – 1: (Olive Oil)
Olive oil clears ear wax and thus eases irritation, pain or discomfort caused in the middle ear. It opens up the Eustachian tubes to relieve the pressure and drain out the fluid buildup to get rid of an earache.
- Slightly warm a little extra virgin olive oil and pour 3 – 5 drops of this lukewarm oil into the affected ear canal using an ear dropper.
- Also, dip a cotton bud in this warm oil and firmly place it in the ear for few minutes.
- Repeat the same for 2 – 3 times daily till you get rid of your earache.
- Or use mustard oil or coconut oil instead of olive oil in this process.
- Alternatively, mix 10 drops each of tea tree oil and lavender oil in 1/4 cup of olive oil. Stir well and apply it gently on all around the ear as an essential oil earache rub to reduce your pain.
Remedy – 2: (Garlic)
The analgesic, antimicrobial and antibiotic properties of garlic cure ear infection and thereby earache. It also drains out the fluids that trapped behind the eardrum to get rid of an earache.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of sesame oil (or mustard oil or olive oil or mullein flower oil) in a pan.
- Heat it and add 1 teaspoon of minced garlic (or few garlic cloves) in it.
- Stir it till it the garlic pieces turn brown in color.
- Then turn off the heat and let the oil cool down.
- Filter the oil and put 2 – 4 drops of this garlic infused oil into the aching ear.
- Do the same process 2 – 4 times daily until you get complete relief from your earache.
- Or extract garlic juice from few garlic cloves and pour it into the hurting ear to get relief.
- Also, include garlic in your daily diet till you cleared the pain in the ear.
Remedy – 3: (Basil)
Basil has analgesic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which help you to get rid of an earache. It has beta – carotene, eugenol and vitamin C which boost your immune system and prevents blockage of the middle ear that in turn clears your earache.
- Crush a handful of fresh basil leaves and extract its juice.
- Pour 3 – 5 drops of this basil juice inside the aching ear.
- Continue doing the same process 1 – 2 times daily till you get relief from an earache.
Remedy – 4: (Onion)
The antiseptic, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties of onion will help you in getting rid of your earache.
- Grate an onion and extract its juice freshly.
- Pour 2 – 3 drops of this onion juice into the aching ear.
- Leave it on like that and reapply it for 2 – 3 times daily.
Note: Or cut an onion and crush it. Wrap it in a clean cloth and hold it over the aching ear for 5 – 10 minutes. Repeat it few times daily.
Remedy – 5: (Peppermint)
Peppermint has antibacterial and soothing properties that relieve you from ear infection and earache and the discomfort caused by it.
- Extract fresh peppermint juice from a handful of peppermint leaves.
- Pour few drops inside the affected ear and repeat it 2 – 3 times daily.
- Also, apply few drops of peppermint oil externally all around the affected ear (or) dilute peppermint oil in any natural oil and pour the oil mix inside the ear.
- Or use lavender oil (or) tea tree oil instead of peppermint essential oil for treating earaches.
Remedy – 6: (Ginger)
Ginger contains gingerols and shagoals that exhibit antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which help to get rid of ear pain. It acts as a natural pain reliever.
- Extract ginger juice from fresh ginger root.
- Pour its juice into the ears using a dropper.
- Leave it on like that and reapply it for few times daily till you get relief from ear pain.
Note: Or stir 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Wait for 7 minutes to infuse properly and pour few drops of this ginger oil in the affected ear.
Remedy – 7: (Bishop’s Weed or Carom Seeds)
Bishop’s weed has antiseptic, antimicrobial and analgesic properties that relieve you from the ear pain and swelling.
- Add 1 teaspoon of carom seeds in 3 teaspoons of sesame oil.
- Stir well and warm it slightly for a minute or two.
- Then put 2 – 3 drops of this oil mix into the aching ear.
- Repeat it once or twice daily (depending on your severity) till you get rid of an aching ear.
Note: Or heat 2 teaspoons of mustard oil in a pan by adding 1/2 teaspoon of carom seeds and some garlic flakes in it. Stir well and heat till the garlic turns to red. Filter it and pour few drops inside the aching ear as ear drops to treat ear pain.
- Applying a moist heat around the infected ear will act as a pain reliever. Wrap a hot water bottle in a towel and place it over the aching ear for few minutes. Also, use any hot compress over the aching ear to get rid of the pain.
- Also, cold compress over the aching ear will help you in relieving from ear pain.
- Indian lilac has an analgesic property which treats your earache. Pour 2 – 3 drops of fresh neem juice or place a cotton ball dipped in neem oil over the affected ear.
- Dry your ears with the help of a blow dryer, as this warm air dries out the moisture and drains out the fluids in the ear. Don’t use a hair dryer for more than 5 minutes.
- Distract yourself from the pain and enjoy your reading your favorite book or watching a movie or simply find something to focus on. This will calm down your pain.
- Steam inhalation will reduce the nasal swelling and thereby earaches. Include herbs like elderberry flowers, German chamomile, lemon balm, etc. (or) essential oils like eucalyptus or lavender oil and inhale the steam.
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has pain relieving property along with clearing your ear. Just pour few drops of organic ACV on the aching ear to get rid of the problem.
- Hydrogen peroxide not only clears ear wax but also treats ear infection and earache. Soak a cotton ball in peroxide and squeeze few drops in the affected ear and clean it after few minutes to get rid of the aching in your ear.
- Include foods that are rich in vitamin C to enhance the immune system and to get relief from pain and infection.
Dos and Don’ts:
- Drink plenty of water and hot herbal teas to get warmth from inside and thus it promotes healing and relaxation.
- Babies who are breastfed are less prone to this ear problem than those who are formula-fed. So, breastfeed your infants for at least of 9 – 10 months.
- Always keep your ears dry and clean to get rid of any ear problems.
- Avoid the intake of food that cause allergens like dairy products, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, gluten, eggs or other foods to get rid of the problem.
- Sleep in an upright position to avoid the buildup of pressure in your ear canal. Also, chew some sugar-free chewing gum or yawn or stretching the ear muscles (like sucking or swallowing) to relieve the pressure in the ear and prevent pain.
- Use ear plugs while swimming to avoid the water flow into the ears and clean your ear to remove earwax and dust that stuck in your ears.
- Quit smoking (both active and passive), as people who are smokers are more prone to get the ear problems when compared with other who don’t.
- Take proper steps like washing your hands regularly before eating, exercise regularly, consume a healthy well-balanced food, etc. to strengthen your immunity and prevent cold virus from getting into the body.
- Consult your doctor if you’re suffering from extreme or chronic earache (or) if the pain persists for several days to get proper diagnose and treatment accordingly.
- Try some Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID’s) like ibuprofen for getting rid of pain or consult your doctor for over the counter pain relievers.
- Avoid using the eardrops (or oil drip) in the ear, especially if you suspect that you have a ruptured ear drum or having any form of blood discharge or pus coming out of the ear.
Hope you’ll give a trial to these remedies and tips for treating your earache. Do you know any other methods for treating earache? Then share your experience with us.