Having long and strong nails will definitely add beauty to your hands. Do you know that the healthy nail growth will reflect the state of your overall health? Surprising isn’t it. But it’s true.
Nails are made of keratin protein and we are aware that fingernails will grow faster than toenails. There are many reasons that slow down the nail growth like aging, nutritional deficiencies, improper nail care, hormonal changes, chemotherapy, certain health problems, and medications, etc.
This slow and poor growth of nails can also result in brittle nails, splitting, breakage and other nail problems. A simple nail care and a healthy diet along with some home remedies will help you to maintain a healthy nail growth.
Home Remedies for Nail Growth:
Here are some natural ways of growing your nails strong and healthy at home. Have a look at these remedies and follow them regularly.
Remedy – 1: (Olive Oil)
Olive oil penetrates deep into the skin and thus nourishes your nails. It is enriched with vitamin E that helps to improve the blood circulation, repairs damaged nails and thus promote strong and healthy nail growth.
- Slightly warm some olive oil and apply it to your nails and cuticles at night before bedtime.
- Massage it gently for 5 minutes till the skin absorbs the oil.
- After that, wear cotton gloves overnight and leave it for overnight.
- Repeat the same process once daily till you get complete relief from the problem.
- Or simply soak your nails in warm olive oil for about 15 – 20 minutes daily to promote nail growth.
- Also, use vitamin E oil massage (or) a mix of essential oil in vitamin E oil massage on your nails for their growth.
Remedy – 2: (Lemon)
Lemon has rich content of vitamin C that promotes the production of the collagen and thus keep your nails grow strong and healthy.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice in 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Stir well and heat it slightly for few seconds.
- Now soak your nails in this mix for 10 minutes and dry it.
- Continue the same for once daily till you get desired results.
- Or rub your nails with a slice of lemon for 3 – 5 minutes and then rinse off with warm water. Dry it and apply a moisturizer. Avoid rubbing lemon on the nails if you have any cuts or hangnails.
- Also, folic acid in orange is needed for nail growth. Daily soak your nails in fresh orange juice for 10 – 15 minutes and rinse with warm water. Dry it and apply a moisturizer.
Remedy – 3: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil contains essential fatty acids and other nutrients that help to moisturize your nails. It also keeps your nails free from infections with its antimicrobial properties.
- Mix 1/4 cup each of virgin coconut oil and raw honey and 4 drops of rosemary essential oil in a bowl.
- Warm it for 20 seconds in the microwave and then soak your nails in this mix for 15 minutes.
- Continue this process for 1 – 2 times a week to strengthen your cuticles and cure nail fungus and hangnails.
Note: Or have some nail massage with warm coconut oil at night before bedtime on daily basis.
Remedy – 4: (Horsetail)
Horsetail is a herbal remedy used for treating nail problems with its rich content of silica, calcium and other useful minerals that help for healthy nail growth.
- Mix 3/4 teaspoon of dried horsetail stems in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Cover it and let it steep for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Strain and soak your nails in this cool mix for 20 minutes.
- Repeat it regularly for at least 3 – 4 times a week.
- Or drink 1 cup of horsetail tea daily for healthy and strong nails.
- Also, stinging nettle contains silica and other minerals that help for nail growth. Mix 2 – 3 teaspoons of dried stinging nettle leaves in 1 cup of hot water. Cover and steep for 10 minutes and strain it. Drink 1 cup of this tea once daily.
Remedy – 5: (Flaxseed Oil)
Omega – 3 fatty acids and other micronutrients (like zinc, potassium, protein, magnesium, B vitamins & lecithin) in flaxseed oil help to promote overall healthy nail growth. It also prevents cracking, brittleness, and drying of the nails.
- Apply some flaxseed oil on the nails and massage it gently for few minutes.
- Then wear gloves for few hours to overnight to retain the moisture.
- Continue the same process for once or twice daily.
Remedy – 6: (Tomatoes)
The high amount of biotin in tomatoes aids for nail growth and makes your nails thick and shiny. It also has vitamins A & C that are required for the healthy nails.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil in 1/2 cup of tomato juice in a bowl.
- Soak your nails in this mix for about 10 minutes.
- Continue it once daily till get desired results.
Remedy – 7: (Protein)
Nails are made up of keratin protein. So, include more of protein in your daily diet like lean poultry, beef, pork, fish, eggs, spinach, seeds, legumes, nuts, green vegetables, etc.
- Also, drink protein shakes (or) mix some protein powder in 1 glass of milk to get essential protein content.
- Take any protein supplements after consulting your doctor to get enough protein for healthy nail growth.
Tips and Precautions:
- Biotin (vitamin H) improves the keratin levels and thus encourages the nail growth. Include biotin-rich foods like whole grains, salmon, nuts, cucumber, strawberries, oats, lentils, eggs, etc. in your diet.
- Avoid exposing of your nails to harsh chemicals and also wear gloves while cleaning or working to protect the nails from damage.
- Always keep your nails and cuticles clean and dry to prevent any nail infections. If you’re suffering from any nail infection, treat it immediately.
- Avoid the habit of biting your nails or picking at hangnails or scratching your nails, as it makes your nails weak and brittle.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy diet to grow your nails strong and shiny.
- Trim and file your nails regularly which promote a healthy nail growth. Also, go for manicures that stimulate faster nail growth.
- Exposure your nails to sunlight for grabbing vitamin D and exercise daily to increase blood circulation to the nail areas for faster growth.
- It’s best to apply petroleum jelly or any natural moisturizer to your nails at night before bedtime to keep it well moisturized.
- Never use nail polish that has toluene, formaldehyde or sulfonamide and also avoid continuous usage of nail polishes, as they may cause some nail fungus or infections.
- Regularly have some hand massage, including nails for proper blood circulation and thereby relieves your strained fingers.
Try these natural home remedies for nail growth. Do you know any other remedies for nail growth? Then share it with us in the below comments box.