Nail fungus is a fungal infection generally forming beneath the nail, more commonly on the toe nails. It should be treated immediately otherwise it will spread to other parts of the body or lead to loss of the nail.
- Extreme pain
- Thickening or crumbling of nail
- Dull with no luster or shine
- Yellow nail colour.
Main causes for nail fungus is low immunity system, continuous exposure to moist environment, mold or yeast, poor hygiene, diabetes, etc.
Home Remedies for Nail Fungus:
These natural home remedies can help to cure fungal nail problems in no time!
1. Tea Tree Oil:
Tea tree oil contains antiseptic and fungicide properties.
Method: (Tea Tree Oil Soak)
- Pour few drops of tea oil onto a cotton ball and apply to the nail fungus.
- Rub it on the affected nail for about 10 minutes.
- Use a toothbrush to scrub it gently on the affected nail.
- Diluting the oil by mixing with equal amounts of olive oil or thyme oil.
- Alternatively you can pour 4 – 5 drops of tea oil in bowl large bowl of water and place your affected nail in the water.
- Repeat the process 2 times a day
Method – 2: (Tea Tree Oil with Orange Oil and Grape Seed Oil)
- Take a teaspoon of tea tree oil and 1/2 teaspoon each of orange oil and grapeseed or olive oil.
- Mix it well and allow a cotton ball to soak in it a few minutes.
- Press gently onto the affected nail.
- Allow the liquid to dry naturally on your nail and repeat the process daily.
Method – 3: (Tea Tree Oil with Olive Oil)
- Combine a small amount of olive oil and tea tree oil.
- Stir it well and use this to rub on the infected nail.
- Leave it on for few minutes and then wash it off with water.
- Pat it dry and reapply it regularly for few days.
2. Baking Soda:
Baking soda has fungistatic and alkaline properties that help to prevent the fungus from growing or spreading.
Method – 1: (Baking Soda with Hydrogen Peroxide, Epsom Salt and Water)
- Take 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1/4 cup of peroxide, 1/2 cup of Epsom salt and 4 cups of water
- Mix all these ingredients properly and add 1/4 cup of white vinegar.
- Soak the affected nail in vinegar for few minutes.
- Dip a cotton ball in the baking soda solution.
- Tape the cotton ball on the nail.
- Continue doing the process every 10 hours up to 4 weeks.
Method – 2: (Baking Soda)
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water and pat dry.
- Mix 2 parts baking soda with one part of water to form a paste.
- Apply this paste on the entire nail using a cotton swab and allow it to sit for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Rinse the paste and pat your nail dry.
- Repeat the process 2 times a day.
Method – 3: (Baking Soda with Vinegar)
- Mix a cup of vinegar with water.
- Soak the affected fingers in it for about 15 minutes.
- Dry your nails.
- Mix several tablespoons of baking soda with water.
- Soak your fingers in the baking soda solution for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat the process twice a day.
3. Coconut Oil:
Coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids that work as natural fungicides that insert themselves in the lipid layer, ultimately leading to the destruction of fungus.
- Apply a small amount of coconut oil to the affected nail thoroughly by massaging it gently
- Allow it absorb and dry naturally.
- Make sure that you have to wash your hands in between applications.
- Repeat the process 2 – 3 times daily until you get complete relief from the nail fungus.
4. Orange Oil:
Pure orange oil has antifungal properties that cure your nail fungus.
Note: Do a patch test first to avoid irritation.
Method – 1: (Oregano Oil)
- Fill a dropper with orange oil.
- Apply it in between infected nail, on and under it.
- Rub it gently and leave it to dry naturally.
- Repeat the same process twice a day.
Method – 2: (Orange Oil with Carrier Oil)
- Take equal quantities of orange oil and any carrier oil like grapeseed oil.
- Mix it well and apply this on the affected nail.
- Allow it to dry and repeat regularly.
5. White Vinegar:
Vinegar kills the fungal actions on your nail without any side effects. It also balances your pH levels to get rid of the fungus problem.
- Mix 1 part vinegar with 2 parts of warm water.
- Soak your affected nail for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Repeat every alternative day.
Garlic contains allicin, an antifungal property which helps to treat the nail fungus effectively.
- Mix equal quantities of garlic oil and white vinegar.
- Apply this mixture on and around the infected nail and cover it with an elastic bandage.
- Alternatively use 2/3 crushed garlic cloves mixed with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Allow it to soak for few minutes and then apply it on the affected part.
- Or even eating a clove of garlic everyday will help.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar has mild acidic nature which helps to prevent nail fungus from spreading.
Method – 1: (Diluted Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water and mix well.
- Soak the infected nail for about 30 minutes.
- Dry the infected nail thoroughly
- Follow this process daily for at least 4 weeks.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Rice Flour)
- Mix coarsely ground rice flour with few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and mix.
- Apply this on the affected nail.
- Scrub the area gently to remove the dead skin cells.
- Regularly repeat the process.
8. Listerine Mouth Wash:
Listerine mouthwash kills the bacteria and germs not only in your mouth but also in the infected nail due to its antiseptic properties.
- Fill a small tub with Listerine mouth wash.
- Add vinegar and undiluted lemon juice.
- Stir it well and soak your fungus affected nail in it for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Then scrub the infected nail gently and dry it completely.
- Repeat daily until the old affected nail grows out.
9. Lavender Oil:
Lavender oil contains several volatile compounds and antiseptic properties that helps to fight against the infection.
- Mix equal quantities of lavender oil and tea tree oil and warm slightly.
- Dip a cotton ball in the solution.
- Dab this solution on the affected nail and surrounding areas at night.
- Cover it with a cotton ball sealed with a guaze overnight.
- Repeat the process for 3 – 5 days.
10. Lemon Juice:
Lemon juice has both antifungal and antiseptic properties to treat the nail fungus effectively. It also contains citric acid that helps to stop the fungus from spreading
Method – 1: (Lemon Juice)
- Apply freshly squeezed lemon juice directly on the infected nail.
- Let it sit for 10 – 14 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Pat it dry and repeat it daily for at least a month.
Method – 2: (Lemon Juice with Olive Oil)
- Mix equal parts of fresh lemon juice and olive oil.
- Massage into the infected nail and its surroundings.
- Repeat regularly.
Tips to Reduce the Nail Fungus:
These tips will speed up the process of healing the nail fungus.
- Apply Vicks VapoRub on the nail fungus regularly.
- Regularly trim your nails straight across and file down thickened areas.
- Keep your nails dry and clean.
- Wear synthetic socks that take away the moisture from your feet.
- Wear rubber gloves while washing dishes or using cleaning products.
- Always wear open toe shoes rather than closed toe shoes if possible.
- Use antifungal spray or powder to spray or sprinkle on your feet and inside of your shoes.
- Don’t go barefoot in any public place.
- Try not to use nail polish or artificial nails.
- Always wash your hands after touching an infected nail.
- Eat healthy diet that contains at least 5 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables to boost up your immune system.
- Have some probiotics which contains friendly bacteria that helps to prevent the spread of the fungus.
- Apply vitamin E oil to the infected nail after drying it completely.
If these remedies do not work in curing the nail fungus, please consult your doctor.
Please share your experiences with us!