Everyone desires to have a beautiful and shiny nails to enhance their beauty and health as well, but weak and brittle nails can become a nightmare to most of the people in these days.
Over time, these brittle nails can be split, cracked or chipped due to many reasons like aging, frequent exposure to water or chemicals, long-term usage of nail polish or its remover, dry environment, dehydration, nutritional deficiencies, etc.
Also, brittle nails can be a symptom of many health problems like thyroid, psoriasis, anemia, fungal infections, alopecia areata, jaundice, heart or lungs problems.
Don’t worry, there are many natural remedies available for treating your dry, cracking or splitting nails and thus makes your nails strong and shiny.
Home Remedies for Brittle Nails:
The listed below are the best remedies that are widely used to treat your brittle nails naturally. The only thing you need to do is to follow them regularly for getting quick and effective results.
Remedy – 1: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that prevent nail fungus and other nail infections. It has essential fatty acids that make it as a great moisturizer, which nourishes your nails to make it strong and shiny.
- Mix few drops of fresh lemon juice in 1/4 cup of warm coconut oil.
- Stir well and soak your nails in this mix for about 10 – 15 minutes at night before bedtime.
- After that, dry those fingernails or toenails and wear gloves or socks overnight.
- Repeat the same regularly for several weeks to make your nails strong and healthy.
- Also, simply apply some warm coconut oil on each nail and massage gently for few minutes. This will help to improve blood circulation and thereby to keep your nails well moisturized.
- Or use Olive oil or any natural oil instead of coconut oil to get rid of brittle nails.
Remedy – 2: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil has an antimicrobial property that gives relief from any nail infections. It also moisturizes your dry and cracked nails along with treating discolored nails.
- Mix few drops of tea tree oil in 1/2 teaspoon of vitamin E oil (or any carrier oil).
- Apply this mix on your nails and massage it gently for few minutes.
- Let it sit for 30 – 45 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Dry your nails and apply moisturizing lotion on your nails.
- Repeat the same process twice daily for a month to get relief from the problem.
Remedy – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has all essential nutrients, enzymes, and acids that fight against nail infections and moisturizes your nails to get relief from dry and brittle nails.
- Mix equal quantities of organic apple cider vinegar and water in a small bowl.
- Stir well and soak your nails in this mix for few minutes.
- Then immediately after soaking, push down your cuticles gently for few minutes.
- Continue doing the same process for once daily till your nails become strong and shiny.
Note: Or warm 1/4 cup of olive oil and add 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup of beer to it. Stir well and soak your nails for about 10 – 15 minutes. Do it regularly for once or twice a week.
Remedy – 4: (Lemon Juice)
Lemon juice improves your nail condition by moisturizing and strengthening the nails. It also brightens up your nails and prevents any spots or fungus on it.
- Add 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice in 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Stir well and heat the mix in the microwave for few seconds till the mix feels warm to touch.
- Apply this warm oil mix onto your nails with the help of a cotton ball at night before bedtime.
- Dry it for few minutes and wear gloves.
- Leave it on for overnight and repeat the same once daily for few days.
Note: Or mix equal quantities of fresh lemon juice and argan oil. Soak your nail in this mix for about 20 – 30 minutes. Rinse off and repeat it once daily.
Remedy – 5: (Horsetail)
Horsetail has rich content of silica, a mineral used to maintain healthy nails. It is also used to prevent white spots on the nails.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of dried horsetail herb into 1 cup of hot water.
- Stir, cover it and let it steep for about 8 – 12 minutes.
- Then allow it to cool for another few minutes and soak your weak and brittle nails in it for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Now dry your nails and rub olive oil on your nails.
- Wear gloves and leave it for overnight.
- Do the same process for 3 – 4 times a week regularly.
Note: Or drink 1 – 2 cups of this horsetail tea daily for making your nails strong from inside the body.
Remedy – 6: (Sea Salt)
Sea salt contains many healing minerals that provide strength and moisture to your nails. It makes your cuticles soft and provides natural shine to your nails. In this process, we use essential oils to prevent any nail infections.
- Mix 2 – 3 drops each of wheat germ oil, myrrh, frankincense and lemon oil and 2 tablespoons of sea salt in a bowl of warm water.
- Stir well and soak your nails in this mix for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Then after, rinse off with warm water and dry your nails thoroughly.
- Apply a hand cream and continue doing the same for 2 – 3 times a week till you healed dry and brittle nails.
Remedy – 7: (Herbal Mask)
This herbal mask helps to prevent nail fungus and strengthens your nails along with moisturizing them to get rid of weak and brittleness.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of peppermint and chamomile herbs in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for an hour or two and then strain it.
- Now mix 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of wheat flour in this herbal water.
- Stir well and apply it on your nails and rinse off after 30 minutes.
Tips and Precautions:
- Application of vitamin E oil will strengthen, hydrate and moisturize your nails. So, apply vitamin E oil on the nails at night before bedtime and massage gently. Repeat it for few days to treat brittle nails.
- Blackstrap molasses heals weak and brittle nails that caused due to lack of iron or anemia. Just mix 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses in 1 cup of hot milk or water. Stir well and drink it once or twice daily to get rid of the problem, but people who are diabetic should not use this method.
- Biotin helps treat splits, thin or brittle nails with its essential nutrients. Consult your doctor to know the dosage before taking biotin supplement for weak nails. Also, include biotin-rich foods like cereals, fish, milk, cauliflower, whole grains, egg yolks, bananas, lentils, etc. in your daily diet.
- Drink plenty of water, herbal teas, soups, fresh fruit or vegetable juices or other watery food to prevent dehydration.
- Consume a healthy diet and expose your nails to natural sunlight (particularly at sunrise and sunset times) to grab vitamin D, essential for proper nail and body growth.
- Also, it’s essential to wear gloves to protect your hands and nails from the dangerous exposure to chemicals or water. Trim your nails shorter to prevent the absorption of chemicals or water into your nails.
- Avoid using nail polishes, lacquers or adhesives, artificial nails, alcohol-based hand sanitizers, etc. to prevent dry or brittle nails.
- Apply some petroleum jelly or warm natural oils on your nails for few times daily to hold the moisture and thereby to get rid of weak or brittle nails.
- Opt for fortified nail polishes and wear nail polish occasionally, so that the nails can be exposed to natural air.
- Use some cuticle cream or oil to your cuticles to avoid dry skin or hangnails. Also, avoid cutting off your cuticles.
- Consult your doctor if you are experiencing frequent weak and brittle nails, as it can be a sign of any serious health problems for proper diagnose and treatment.
Try these natural remedies and tips to get rid of brittle nails. Do you know any other remedies for treating weak or brittle nails? Then share it with us in the comments section.