Usage of coconut oil on the skin has become a controversial issue in these days, why because? Some people say coconut oil will work like a miracle in treating their skin and making it beautiful. On the other hand, some people are blaming that it worsens their skin condition by clogging the skin pores.
So, we are at the confusion that whether we have to use or avoid it in our skin care regimen. Here in this article, we will discuss how coconut oil clogs the skin pores and affects skin by resulting in breakouts.
Let’s reveal the truth to get a clarification on whether to use coconut oil or not in our skin care regimen.
Does Coconut Oil Clog your Pores?
The most common problem which we get by clogging the skin pores is ACNE. It affects mostly the youngsters with skin inflammation, redness, blackheads, and pimples on the affected areas. The hormonal imbalance is the main reason to increase the production of sebum and this sebum combines with dead skin cells to clog the pores and thereby result in acne.
Since from ancient days, coconut oil is used on the skin due to its amazing properties that have beneficial effects on the skin. Here are few properties mentioned below.
- Coconut oil has healthy fat content will make it act as an emollient product that softens and smooth your skin.
- It exhibits antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties with its medium chain fatty acids that help to eliminate the bacteria and other microbes from the skin.
- It has an anti-inflammatory property that helps to reduce the itching and soothes the irritated and inflamed skin. It also effectively treats many skin issues like psoriasis, eczema or rashes.
- It penetrates deep into the skin and moisturizes your skin by acting as a natural moisturizer to protect it from dryness.
- It exhibits the antioxidant property that helps to fight against the free radicals to prevent their damage on the skin and thus reduce wrinkles and smoothens your skin to keep it young, healthy and beautiful.
- Other benefits include reducing dryness or fluid loss in the skin, moisturizes and soothes the skin from diaper rash, chapped lips, acne, eczema and prevent wrinkles or sagging skin.
Coming to the concept, everyone will be in a dilemma after knowing the coconut oil benefits and will think that, how come coconut oil clog the skin pores and make the condition worst?
Have a look at these points that reveal the mystery and help you to get an idea on this problem.
- Coconut oil is a comedogenic product that has the tendency to block/clog the skin pores, which makes the people get confused for its usage.
- Everyone is different and different people have different skin types like some people have big pores and some have small pores in the skin. So, people with big pores have more tendency to get clogged up rather than smaller ones.
- The simple technique is that, if you have oily skin and blackheads then it indicates that you have big skin pores and thereby applying coconut oil will worsen your skin condition.
- One important thing you have to remember that coconut oil alone is not responsible for causing acne or clogging the pores. It just adds onto the pores which are already clogged. So, it doesn’t cause the condition but it worsens it.
- Make sure that coconut oil should be used moderately and quantity wise, even for people with small pores of the skin why because the fat content of coconut oil is very high. Never ever use excessive quantity and frequency, as it develops some other skin problems.
Always remember that you should know completely about your skin type before applying coconut oil on the skin. So that you can calculate whether it is beneficial and safe to use it on your skin or not. Also, it’s must perform a skin patch test before applying on the skin.
Consult your doctor/skin care specialist for proper diagnosis and treatment to reduce clogged pores and thereby prevent acne or other skin problems.
Check Out How Coconut Oil Treats Acne
How to use Coconut Oil for Reducing Skin Clogs:
Let’s have a look on the best way to use coconut oil to prevent your skin pores from clogging and thereby resulting in skin problems.
- Take a clean washcloth and soak it in hot water for few minutes at night before bedtime.
- Wring the cloth and place it on the face for few minutes to open up the clogged pores.
- After that apply some organic coconut oil onto your face by concentrating more on the problematic areas.
- Massage gently for few minutes to penetrate the oil into the skin pores and clear acne or blackheads.
- Finally, after few minutes clean the oil applied areas with a clean cloth soaked in warm water.
- Repeat the same process for once daily to get rid of clogged pores using coconut oil.
Coconut oil is loaded with several benefits for hair, skin, and health but the oil is having the comedogenic property that is not recommended for the people with oily skin when used frequently. Always use virgin coconut oil and use it correctly to prevent clogged pores and acne breakouts.
Use this coconut oil as per your skin type and share your experience with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply