Whenever the dirt, excess sebum (oil), dead cells and other impurities clog the skin pores or hair follicles, then the bacteria will thrive into the skin and causes blemishes called acne or pimples. It is an inflammatory skin disorder that was caused due to hormonal imbalance, unhealthy diet, stress, improper skin care hygiene, certain medications, etc. It occurs as swollen red breakouts that mostly appear on the face, neck, chest, hands and back.
However, there are many over the counter treatments and cosmetic creams available for treating acne but the usage of natural remedies at home will definitely clear these ugly pimples without any side effects at an affordable cost.
Coconut oil stands best in treating these pimples with its amazing properties. So, here we are going to know how it works and how to use it effectively for acne along with some tips and precautions.
Let’s get started…
Is Coconut Oil good for Treating Acne?
Yes, coconut oil is the best remedy that was widely used for curing acne and its scars on the skin. Let’s have a look on its beneficial properties.
- It contains medium chain fatty acids such as capric acid, lauric acid and caprylic acid that exhibit antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties, which in turn helps to fight against the acne-causing bacteria (P.acne).
- The saturated fatty acids in this oil will be converted to monocaprin and monolauric that forms a type of acidic shield on the skin to combat with acne.
- It has an anti-inflammatory property that soothes the skin and thus reduces pain, swelling, inflammation and other discomforts caused by acne.
- It has a rich source of vitamins like vitamin A (stops the skin cells from early shedding and clears undeveloped cells), vitamin E (provides an essential moisture and keeps the skin healthy) and vitamin K (forms a protective layer by supplying potassium).
- It penetrates deep into the skin to moisturizes the area and prevents the bacterial action. It also enables the proper functioning of sebum glands to clear the blockages and finally preserves a healthy and acne free skin.
- Coconut oil, if taken regularly then it boosts up the liver to filter out toxins, stimulate bowel movement to clear toxic wastes from the body, improves the metabolism, enhances proper blood circulation and thereby regulates the proper hormonal balance to clear the extra production of sebum and makes you free from acne blemishes.
- It effectively moisturizes the skin and heals the damage from inside the body to prevent acne without forming scars.
- It has natural antioxidant and astringent properties that protect the skin from the effect of free radicals and clears excess oil without drying the skin.
- It has all essential proteins, minerals and healthy acids that rejuvenate and heals the damaged skin and replaces healthy cells to clear acne quickly.
How Coconut Oil is used for Treating Acne:
Coconut oil treats acne in many ways but here are the best ways of using coconut oil for preventing acne and its scars successfully from the skin.
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil)
For best and quick results, always use organic, virgin coconut oil rather than normal one. This is a simple method of coconut oil for acne, as it clears acne without causing any harm to the skin.
Steps to be followed…
- Cleanse the acne affected areas with mild soap and warm water. Dry the skin with a soft towel.
- Take enough of organic coconut oil and warm the oil to get melted. Or simply rub in your hands to get the oil melted.
- Apply this oil on the acne affected skin areas and massage gently for few minutes to get well absorbed into the skin.
- Leave it on for few minutes to overnight and rinse it off in the next morning.
- Repeat the same process regularly to get rid of acne/pimples.
- For treating cystic acne, mix some fresh aloe vera gel in coconut oil before applying it on the cystic acne affected areas. Leave it on for overnight and rinse off in the morning.
- Or else, mix some tea tree oil or any natural oils in coconut oil. Apply it on the acne affected areas and leave for overnight.
- Or simply add some coconut oil to your cosmetic creams or cleanser and also use coconut oil based products for treating your acne.
- Alternatively, consume 2 – 4 teaspoons of organic coconut oil daily or mix it with your food or drink. Regular intake of coconut oil in your daily diet will help you to get rid of acne from inside out.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil Mask with Honey and Aloe Vera)
Honey soothes the irritated skin and aloe vera clears the excess oil and dead skin cells. Coconut oil penetrates deep into the skin to moisture the areas. So, this mask helps to clear acne along with nourishing the skin.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of organic coconut oil and raw honey and 5 tablespoons of fresh aloe vera juice in a bowl.
- Stir well and apply this on the face and neck as a mask.
- Be sure to concentrate more on the acne affected skin areas.
- Let it sit for about 20 – 25 minutes and wipe it off with a clean tissue.
- Then rinse the face with warm water followed by cold water.
- Dry the skin gently and repeat the same regularly for twice a week till you get relief from acne.
- Or if you don’t have aloe vera juice or gel then simply use coconut oil and honey only for treating acne.
- Alternatively, mix enough of coconut oil in 2 tablespoons of green mud powder along with some honey and apply it as a pack on the face. Rinse with warm water after it gets dried to prevent acne.
- Or simply mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to make a paste. Apply it on the face and neck. Rub it gently and rinse it off with cold water after few minutes.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil Moisturizer with Lemon)
Lemon has rich amounts of vitamin C that strengthen the immune system and this process is used to neutralize the pH level of the body and works effectively as a moisturizer to prevent redness, irritation, dry skin and acne blemishes without further damage to the skin.
Steps to be followed…
- Add fresh lemon juice extracted from 1 lemon, few drops of essential oil (or vitamin E oil) and vanilla extract in 4 tablespoons of melted organic coconut oil.
- Stir well to make a fluffy texture and apply it to the acne affected areas.
- Massage gently and leave it on for few hours to overnight.
- Refrigerate the remaining mix for further usage.
- Regular application will yield best results of curing acne quickly.
Method – 4: (Coconut Oil Scrub for Acne)
This scrub exfoliates the skin to clear dead cells and excess oil and makes it free from acne. It also moisturizes the skin to prevent dryness and other discomforts caused by acne.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1/4 cup each of coconut oil and olive oil (or sesame oil) and 1 teaspoon of nectar in 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Stir well and apply it on the cleansed face and neck.
- Scrub it gently for few minutes and rinse off with warm water.
- Dry the skin and continue doing the same regularly till you cleared acne on the face.
Note: Or mix 1 tablespoon of oatmeal and 3 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil in some warm water. Apply it on the face, neck, and back by focusing more on the acne affected skin areas. Rub it gently for few minutes and rinse it off after 15 – 20 minutes with water.
Method – 5: (Coconut Oil with Banana)
Banana has various enzymes that hydrate the body and heals acne blemishes without forming scars. This process is used to prevent dry skin by moisturizing the skin along with disinfecting the area to prevent the bacterial effect.
Steps to be followed…
- Take 1/2 a piece of ripe banana and mash it thoroughly.
- Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and a pinch of turmeric powder to it.
- Stir well and apply it on the pimples.
- Wait for 20 – 30 minutes and rinse off with warm water followed by cold water.
- Repeat it regularly to make yourself free from acne blemishes or pimples.
Note: Alternatively, use certain combinations like coconut oil with turmeric powder or Kaolin powder (fine white clay) or egg white or yogurt or tomato and jojoba oil for treating your acne.
Tips and Warnings:
- Use organic, cold pressed and virgin coconut oil for clearing acne, pimples and blackheads along with acne scars. The best time to apply coconut oil is at night before bed time and also steam your face before application.
- Coconut oil might cause some allergic reaction. So, it’s advised to do some skin patch test before applying it on the acne.
- Wash the acne affected areas and your hands thoroughly before applying coconut oil for acne to prevent the spread of bacteria to other parts.
- Coconut oil acts as a cleanser when mixed with any light carrier oil which makes the oil to absorb deep and easy into the skin and thereby debris the clogged skin pores to clean the skin.
- Make an appointment with your doctor if you didn’t find any relief from acne or its symptoms after using coconut oil for treating acne.
- Stay hydrated, consume healthy food, exercise regularly, reduce your stress, balance your hormonal levels and take some proper skin care hygiene to get rid of these acne pimples.
- Remember that over usage of coconut oil might reverse the action and cause more of acne breakout.
Stop worrying about those embarrassing pimples on your skin and start using coconut oil for preventing acne now and then. Do you have any other coconut oil methods or any queries? Feel free to share with us.