Open pores (or large pores) are a common beauty concern for many people, especially women. It is caused due to excess sebum, bacteria, prolonged sun exposure, hormonal changes, aging, stress, genetics, poor diet, improper skin care routine, etc.
In general, skin pores provide the required oil to the skin to keep it well hydrated. It helps the skin to breathe and perform certain functions like eliminating toxins and maintaining a smooth body.
People with oily skin are more prone to these open pores. If not treated properly, then it results in skin problems like acne, blackheads, etc. So, preventing large pores is essential to maintain a proper skin care regimen, which in turn results in skin tightening and enhances the collagen production.
There are many cosmetic products used to eliminate these pores but the usage of natural remedies at home will provide you with the best and effective results without any side effects.
Home Remedies for Open Pores:
Here are the best time tested natural remedies that widely used to shrink your open pores and enhance your beauty. Try them regularly to get relief from those clogged pores.
Remedy – 1: (Ice)
Ice is a simple remedy that helps to shrink your large pores with its skin tightening effect. It minimizes the enlarged pores by stimulating proper blood circulation and thus promotes a healthier skin.
- Wrap few ice cubes in a clean cloth.
- Hold it on your skin for 15 – 20 seconds to tighten up your skin pores.
- Dry your skin and repeat the same process for few times daily till you get relief from large pores.
- Or rinse your face with ice cold water for once daily before applying makeup to get rid of large pores.
- Also, prepare ice cubes using cucumber juice, green tea, apple juice or rose water and apply it on the face instead of using plain water ice cubes.
Remedy – 2: (Egg Whites)
Egg whites can be widely used to shrink those enlarged skin pores with its skin tightening property. It enhances the collagen production, draws out excess oil and provides essential nutrients to the skin.
- Whip an egg white and spread it on your face evenly.
- Make sure to focus on nose, forehead and chin areas.
- Then cover the skin with the pieces of tissue paper.
- Let it sit for few minutes to get dried and then peel off the tissue.
- Repeat the same regularly for once or twice a week to get rid of impurities and enlarge pores.
- Or whisk 2 egg whites with freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 a lemon. Stir and apply it on your face and rinse off with cool water after 10 – 15 minutes.
- Also, whisk an egg white by adding 2 tablespoons each of oatmeal and fresh lemon juice. Stir and apply this mask on the face. Scrub your face after 30 minutes and finally, rinse off with cool water.
- Or whisk 1 egg white by adding 1 tablespoon of honey and 2 – 3 tablespoons of raw milk. Apply it all over the clean face and neck and rinse off with water after 30 minutes. Repeat it twice a week.
- Or whip an egg white by adding 2 crushed aspirin tablets powder and 1 teaspoon of yogurt. Apply this mix on the skin (acne – prone or excessively oily) and rinse off with cool water after 20 minutes.
Remedy – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) acts as a natural astringent and toner, as it tightens the skin effectively and minimizes the large pores. It also balances your skin’s pH level to prevent these open pores and disinfect the skin with its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mix equal quantities of raw apple cider vinegar and water in a bowl.
- Stir well and soak a cotton ball in this mix and apply it on all over your face.
- Let it sit for about few minutes till it dries and then rinse off with water.
- For effective results, follow this remedy in every night after cleansing your face followed with a light moisturizer.
- Do it regularly to observe improvements within few weeks.
Remedy – 4: (Sugar Scrub)
Sugar will exfoliate the skin to remove excess oil, dead cells, and impurities. Lemon acts as an astringent that close your skin pores and olive oil moisturize the skin to make it smooth.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and few drops of fresh lemon juice in 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Stir well and use this mix to scrub your skin gently for 40 seconds to 1 minute.
- Then rinse off your skin with cool water and dry your skin.
- Repeat the same for once or twice a week till you get relief from the large skin pores.
- Or sprinkle some sugar on a lemon slice or wedge and use it to rub all over your face gently. Wait for 10 minutes and rinse off with water. Repeat twice a week regularly.
- Also, mix some sugar in equal amounts of lemon juice and honey. Stir and use it to massage your skin for few minutes. Let it sit another 5 – 10 minutes before rinsing your skin. Repeat once or twice weekly.
Remedy – 5: (Lemon)
Lemon has vitamin C and citric acid that exfoliate the skin and shrinks the open pores. It also lightens the skin by reducing the spots and scars with its bleaching effect.
- Add 1 teaspoon of raw honey in a freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon.
- Stir well to apply it on your skin and rinse off after 10 – 15 minutes.
- Continue doing the same process once daily for a month.
- Or mix 2 tablespoons each of fresh lemon juice and tomato juice. Apply it on the face and rinse off with water after 10 – 15 minutes.
- Also, apply a mix prepared by adding 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon powder and lemon juice. Wash it off after 15 – 20 minutes (or) mix lemon juice with cucumber juice and apply it on the skin.
- Or simply mix 1/2 tablespoon each of raw milk and lemon juice in 1 tablespoon of raw honey. Stir well and warm it till it becomes thick and sticky. Apply this lukewarm mix on the face using a cotton ball and wash it off after 15 minutes.
Remedy – 6: (Oatmeal)
Oats exfoliate the skin and soothe your skin to get rid of enlarged skin pores. It is suitable for all skin types.
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of oatmeal and milk powder in 5 tablespoons of honey to make a paste.
- Slather this mix on the face and rub it gently in circular motions.
- Let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes and scrub your face.
- Wash with cool water and regularly follow the same for 1 – 2 times a week.
Note: Or apply a facial mask by adding oatmeal powder and tomato juice. Rinse off after an hour to get smooth skin with closed pores.
Remedy – 7: (Fuller’s Earth)
Fuller’s Earth (or Multani mitti) absorbs excess oil and dead cells by exfoliating the skin. It also gives a natural glow to the skin by reducing the blemishes, spots, and scars. It also reverses the damage caused by sun’s rays.
- Add enough rosewater in 2 tablespoons of fuller’s earth and stir well to make a fine paste.
- Apply it on your face and neck as a mask and wait for 15 – 20 minutes.
- After that, scrub your face and rinse off with cool water.
- Continue the same regularly for once or twice a week.
Tips and Precautions:
- Baking soda has an excellent exfoliating property that clears excess oil, dirt, and debris. It also balances your skin pH levels. So, mix 2 tablespoons each of baking soda and lukewarm water. Apply it on the skin and massage for few seconds. Rinse off with cool water to get relief from open pores.
- Cucumber acts as a natural astringent that minimizes your open skin pores along with improving your skin texture. So, simply apply fresh cucumber juice on your skin and rinse with cool water after 20 minutes.
- Yogurt has lactic acid that exhibits mild exfoliating property and also minimizes the skin pores. So, apply plain yogurt on the face and rinse off after 20 – 30 minutes with cool water.
- Always remember to rinse your skin with cool water to shrink large pores. Also, go for a facial steam for once or twice a week to unclog the pores.
- Remove your makeup at night before bedtime to prevent clog skin pores and thereby skin problems.
- Also, applying aloe vera gel, raw honey, buttermilk, rosewater, tomato juice, alum, raw milk, papaya and other fruits, etc. will also help to shrink the large pores and makes your skin glow with natural beauty.
- Drink plenty of water, avoid consuming fried or greasy foods, include more of fresh fruits and vegetables, etc. should be included in your daily diet.
- Cleanse your hands and then go to the skin care regimen, as dirt hands are transmitters of diseases and skin problems.
Try these natural remedies and tips to shrink enlarged skin pores. Do you know any other methods to shrink the open pores? Then share it with us.