Do you notice any tiny, white bumps on the face and get panicked because of not knowing what they are? Have you found them as hard and white bumps? Then it might be milia.
Milia (or milium cyst or milk spots) can be white or yellowish bumps that most commonly appears around and under the eyes. It also appears on the cheeks, nose, chest, and forehead.
Milia are basically keratin-filled cysts that are not harmful but makes you look unattractive. They are quite common in babies (newborn babies) but will occur in people of all ages.
Causes of Milia:
The main causes of milia include…
- Accumulated dead skin cells which result in clogging the skin pores
- Use of oily or pore-clogging skin care products and heavy makeup
- Hormonal imbalance
- Excessive secretion of sebum (or) oily skin
- Overexposure to harmful sun’s UV rays
- Prolonged usage of steroidal creams
- Not exfoliating skin regularly
- Skin resurfacing treatments (laser or dermabrasion)
- Blistering injuries
White or yellowish bumps on the face and chest and hard to touch are some symptoms but not itchy or painful. The only thing it makes is they mar your natural beauty and make you look ugly. These ugly bumps are stubborn and may last for weeks or months or even longer.
However, there are many commercial treatments like chemical peels, laser treatment, surgical scraping, freezing, skin medications or removing the cysts using extreme heat but the only thing is that these commercial treatments are cost-effective and may cause some serious side effects.
No worries, there are many natural ways that help you to deal with this milia at home without any side effects. In this article, we will let you know how to get rid of milia using natural home remedies.
Home Remedies for Milia:
Here are some simple yet effective remedies that naturally help you to get rid of milia. Regular follow up of these remedies along with skin care and a healthy diet will help you to overcome these milk spots on the skin.
Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Honey)
The rich content of amino acids, vitamins, minerals and enzymes along with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and humectant properties of honey will help to retain the moisture and exfoliate the skin gently to get rid of dead skin cells and thereby prevent milia.
Honey alone or combined with other natural ingredients will work wonders by exfoliating the skin to reduce milia. Here are few ways of using honey for milia.
- Take some raw honey and spread it on the milia affected skin areas. Let it sit for about 10 – 15 minutes and then rinse the area with water. Continue doing the same process daily until you notice improvements.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil in 2 tablespoons of raw honey and stir well. Spread this mix on the face and wait for 15 – 20 minutes to rinse the face. Dry it and repeat the same process for once daily to get rid of milk spots.
- Mix together 3 tablespoons of oatmeal (exfoliates) in 1 tablespoon each of granulated sugar and raw honey. Stir well to make a fine scrub paste and apply it on the affected skin areas. Start scrubbing it gently in circular motions for few minutes and wait for few minutes to rinse with water to unclog the blocked pores. Do it 3 – 4 times a week regularly.
Remedy – 2: (Facial Sauna)
Facial sauna is another effective remedy that widely used to treat milia by simply unclogging the skin pores to remove dead skin cells and debris. So, beauty experts suggest streaming the face before starting any skin treatment why because it opens the skin pores and clears the impurities.
- Soak a clean towel in a bowl of hot water.
- Squeeze it to remove excess water out.
- Then place it on the face and leave it till the cloth cools.
- Repeat the same cycle for few times and continue it once daily.
Note: Or simply steam the face for 10 – 15 minutes daily till the milium spots are cleared. For best results, add some castor oil or apple cider vinegar to the skin after steaming.
Remedy – 3: (Sugar Scrub with Lemon)
Sugar exfoliates the skin to remove dead skin cells and prevent the skin from getting clogged. The usage of lemon and olive oil helps to moisturize the skin to make it soft and brighter.
- Squeeze out the juice from 1/2 a lemon and add it to 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Stir well to make it a scrub paste and spread it on the milia affected skin areas.
- Scrub it gently for a few minutes and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Finally, rinse the area with water and pat dry the skin.
- Continue doing the same process for twice a week until you get complete relief from the problem.
Note: Tomato has vitamin C that helps to remove dead cells. Cut a tomato into slices and sprinkle some sugar on it. Use it to rub the affected areas and rinse off after a couple of minutes with water. Repeat it once daily for quick results.
Remedy – 4: (Sandalwood and Rose Water)
The best combination for treating many skin problems and soothing the skin is sandalwood and rose water. They regulate the oil production from the skin and also exfoliate the skin to remove dead skin cells to get rid of milium cysts.
- Add enough rose water in 2 tablespoons of sandalwood powder.
- Stir well to make it a smooth paste and apply it evenly on the face by concentrating more on the milk spots affected areas.
- Let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off with cool water.
- Dry the skin gently and repeat the same process for once or twice daily to get fast relief from milia.
Remedy – 5: (Castor Oil)
Castor oil exhibits the antibacterial property that helps to heal various skin disorders, including milia. It effectively controls the production of excess oil (or sebum) from the skin.
Here are few ways of using castor oil as a milia removal.
- Take enough castor oil and apply it to the affected skin areas. Massage gently for few minutes till the oil absorbed into the skin and rinse off after few minutes. Do it once or twice daily.
- Mix equal amounts of castor oil and olive oil in a small bowl. Stir well and apply it on the milium cysts. Let it sit for few minutes to overnight and after that, rinse the skin with lukewarm water. Following this process daily will give quick relief from milia.
- Stir enough baking soda in 1 tablespoon of castor oil until it forms a fine paste. Slather this paste on the affected areas. Wait for 20 – 30 minutes and rinse off with water. Repeat it once daily to get heal from milk spots.
Remedy – 6: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera is an excellent remedy for milia removal due to its antioxidant, healing, soothing and anti-inflammatory properties that moisturizes the skin. It helps to open up the skin pores and prevent these milia.
- Take an aloe vera leaf and extract its gel.
- Apply it on the affected areas at night before bedtime.
- Leave it for overnight and rinse off in the next morning.
- Repeat the same process in every night until you cleared the milia.
Note: Or simply mix equal quantities of aloe vera gel and green tea in a bowl and spread it on the milk spots affected skin areas. Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes and rinse off gently with water. Do the same for once or twice daily.
Remedy – 7: (Cornstarch & Apple Cider Vinegar)
This combination works well in treating whitehead type milia. Cornstarch effectively absorbs the excess oil from the skin and vinegar exhibits astringent and anti-inflammatory properties that clear the dead skin cells.
- Stir 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in 3 teaspoons of cornstarch till it forms a paste.
- Apply it on the milium cysts affected skin areas.
- Let it sit for about 30 minutes and rinse the area with a wet cloth followed by cool water.
- Regular follow up of this process will definitely clear these milk spots effectively.
Remedy – 8: (Potato)
Being a rich source of starch, potatoes help in reducing milia. It exhibits antioxidant, astringent and skin soothing properties that control the excess sebum productions and gently exfoliates to remove dead cells from the skin.
Here are a few ways of using potato for clearing milia.
- Take a clean potato and refrigerate it for some time. After that, peel and grate it. Apply this grated potato to the affected skin areas and let it dry naturally. Rinse the area with water and do it 2 – 3 times daily.
- Extract the juice from a medium sized potato and soak cotton pads in it for a couple of minutes. Place them on the milium cysts affected skin areas and leave it for a few minutes.
- Simply cut a chilled potato into slices and use these slices to rub it on the face, especially where you’re suffering from milia.
Remedy – 9: (Pomegranate Peel Powder)
The rich content of vitamin C along with antioxidant and exfoliating properties in pomegranate will help to reduce milia and also heals the skin quickly. For best results, use roasted pomegranate peel powder to slough off the dead skin cells and to soothe the skin.
- Combine enough fresh lemon juice (or rose water) in 2 tablespoons of roasted pomegranate peel powder.
- Stir well to make a fine paste and spread it on the affected skin areas.
- Massage for few minutes and leave it on for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Finally, rinse the area with warm water and dry it gently using a soft cloth.
- Do the same process for thrice a week on regular basis.
Note: Take some pomegranate peels and roast it in a pan till they turn to brown and brittle. Then let it cool for few minutes and crush them into powder form to get roasted pomegranate peel powder.
Remedy – 10: (Egg Mask)
The retinol and retinol ester are two compounds present in the egg, which helps in many skin care products. So, use this egg to get rid of milia safely and quickly.
- Separate egg white from an egg and mix 1/2 teaspoon of almond oil and 1 tablespoon each of raw honey and plain yogurt in it.
- Stir well and apply it on the affected areas as a mask.
- Let it sit for about 30 minutes and rinse the area with warm water.
- Pat dry the skin and continue applying this mask for thrice a week on regular basis.
Remedy – 11: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil has antimicrobial and disinfectant properties that ensure you from the removal of milia and also it helps to keep them at bay (prevents re-infection).
- Mix few drops of tea tree oil in any carrier oil (like coconut oil or olive oil).
- Apply it to the affected areas by using a cotton ball at night before bedtime.
- Let it sit for overnight and rinse off in the next morning.
- Regular application of tea tree oil in every night will definitely help you to get rid of milia.
- If you’re having oily skin, then apply tea tree oil directly on the milia but make sure to clean the affected area before applying this oil. Rinse off after few minutes.
- Also, add few drops of tea tree oil in any of your facial scrubs or masks before applying to get rid of milia and other skin infections.
Remedy – 12: (Fenugreek Leaves)
The antioxidant, antiseptic and skin soothing properties of fenugreek will make it as an excellent remedy for treating milia. This herbal remedy works in clearing the dead skin cells and also controls the excessive production of oil from the skin.
- Take a handful of fresh fenugreek leaves and blend them by adding some water till it forms a fine paste.
- Apply this paste to the milk spots affected skin areas.
- Allow it to sit for 15 – 20 minutes and then rinse off with water.
- Pat dry the skin and continue this process for once or twice daily until you get relief from milia.
Remedy – 13: (Lemon)
The rich source of vitamin C, citric acid, astringent and natural skin lightening properties of lemon will make it as the best remedy for treating milia. It not only exfoliates the skin but also lightens the skin to get rid of milia and its scars.
Here are few ways of using lemon as milia remover.
- Squeeze out the juice of a lemon and add a pinch of salt to it. Stir well and apply it on the affected areas by using a cotton ball. Rinse the area with warm water after 20 minutes. Dry the skin and repeat it daily.
- If you’ve oily skin then simply rub a slice of lemon on the affected area and dry it completely to rinse off with water.
- Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon powder in a bowl. Now pour enough fresh lemon juice to make it a paste. Apply it to the milia areas and wash off with lukewarm water after it dries naturally. Do it twice a week regularly.
- Mix 2 cloves of crushed garlic and 1 tablespoon of orange peel powder in 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice to make a thick paste. Apply it to the affected areas and wait for 10 minutes to rinse it with lukewarm water. Repeat it regularly.
- Combine 1 tablespoon each of fresh lemon juice and olive oil in 2 tablespoons of oatmeal and 3 tablespoons of yogurt. Slather this paste on the milia affected areas and rinse off with cold water after 7 – 10 minutes.
- Stir 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice and salt in 2 tablespoons of whole milk. Use it to rub on the affected areas for a couple of minutes. Wait for 15 minutes and rinse with water. Repeat it once daily to treat milia.
Note: People with dry or sensitive skin, should add water or rose water to the above lemon methods to reduce its acidic nature and prevent skin dryness or burning sensation.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid staying for long hours under the sun and also protect your skin by wearing sunscreen and scarf along with sunglasses.
- Never ever pop or pick or scratch these white pimples, as it will worsen the problem and make some scars on the skin.
- Include exfoliating, cleansing and moisturizing (also face packs) in your regular skincare routine to prevent these skin issues like milia.
- Don’t touch your face with unwashed hands and also rinse your face twice daily, especially at night before bedtime.
- Streaming your face before applying any of these natural remedies will definitely give best and quick relief from these milium spots.
- Avoid wearing heavy cosmetics or makeup (especially on the eye area) and the use of harsh chemical based skin products.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids like herbal teas, fresh fruit or vegetable juices or smoothies to flush out the toxins from the body.
- Protect your newborn baby by cleaning their skin with lukewarm water and dry them with a soft clean towel.
- Always be sure to moisturize your baby’s skin after their bath and keep them clean and dry to get rid of these skin issues.
- Use other natural remedies like applying baking soda paste, toothpaste, almond oil, used tea bags, mustard oil, clove paste on the milia affected skin areas and rinse off after few minutes to get rid of the problem.
- Consume a healthy diet that includes vitamins B3, C & E along with biotin and CoQ10 supplements but make sure to avoid consuming junk foods and vitamin D supplements.
- Consult your dermatologist if you didn’t get any relief from the problem to know the root cause through proper diagnose and treatment.
In this modern world, everyone wants to look beautiful with flawless skin. For this, they have to take some nourishing daily skin care to maintain its healthy glow. Milia is one such skin problem that arises due to lack of adequate skin care.
Simply follow these natural remedies to get rid of milia. Do you know any other successful natural remedies for milia removal? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.