Herpes is an infection that occurs due to the attack of the herpes simplex virus (HSV – 1 & 2) in which the virus can spread easily from one to another person through close contact. Herpes simplex virus – 1 causes oral herpes (cold sores) and herpes simplex virus – 2 causes genital herpes.
Type – 1 virus is transmitted through the contact with infected saliva (like kissing, sharing personal items or eating from the same utensils) that spreads on the lips, mouth, and face whereas the type – 2 virus is a sexually transmitted that associated with genital sores or ulcers and shingles (herpes zoster).
It appears in both men and women but women are more prone to this infection. This highly contagious infection caused by the virus will enter into the human body through direct (touch, sex or kiss) or indirect (sharing personal items) contact with the infected person.
The herpes blisters appear on the buttocks, penis, thighs, anus, scrotum, inside the penis (or inside the urethra) in men and for women, they appear on the cervix, vaginal areas, buttocks, anus and external genitals.
Other than skin contact, this herpes virus infection can be caused by unprotected anal or vaginal sex, intercourse with multiple partners, overexposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays, surgery on the genital areas, hormonal imbalance, certain foods, compromised immune system, touching the sores or blisters, stress, fatigue, direct contact with saliva or mucous membranes of the infected person, certain illness, etc.
It can be transferred from an infected mother to the newborn baby at the time of vaginal delivery. One can observe certain signs and symptoms like fever, vaginal discharge, pain while urinating, red aching blisters around thighs or buttocks or genitals, itching and tingling sensation around the genitals, etc.
The outbreaks are generally characterized by fever blisters, enlarged lymph nodes, mouth sores, etc. The virus can live dormant inside the person’s immune system for a lifetime but causes outbreak occasionally.
Make sure to consult your doctor immediately, if the infection is painful & severe, recurrent symptoms (ulcers or blisters in the low abdomen) and fever for proper diagnose and treatment. Instead of using OTC medications or creams, try these natural remedies which are safe and effective along with preventing the recurring the infection.
Home Remedies for Herpes:
Here are the best and effective natural remedies that help you in treating herpes in a safe and effective manner. Other than remedies, drink plenty of water, regular exercises and a healthy diet will help you to strengthen your immune system and thereby to get rid of herpes virus.
Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Ice Pack)
Ice or cold compress will help to relieve the pain, swelling and other discomforts caused by the herpes outbreaks.
- Take few ice cubes and wrap them in a thin cloth or towel.
- Place this cold compress on the affected area gently.
- Let it sit for about 10 – 15 minutes by taking some breaks in the meanwhile.
- Continue doing the same process for several times daily until you get relief from the pain, itching and other discomforts caused by herpes virus.
Remedy – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) helps a lot in reducing the severity of herpes outbreaks that caused due to the disinfectant, antimicrobial, astringent and anti-inflammatory properties. It also balances your skin pH levels and thereby reduce the irritation and itching.
Here are a few ways of using ACV for treating herpes.
- Take some ACV in a small bowl and dip a cotton ball in this ACV mix. Apply it on the affected skin areas and leave it for a few minutes. After that, rinse the area with lukewarm water and dry the skin. For best results, repeat the same process for 3 – 4 times daily but be sure that you may experience some tingling sensation upon applying ACV.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of ACV and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 1 cup of water. Stir well and drink it twice daily until you get relief from the blisters and virus on the affected area.
- If suffering from genital herpes, then rinse the affected area with ACV diluted water and dry the area gently after few minutes. Repeat the same process for once daily to clear the virus.
Remedy – 3: (Hydrogen Peroxide)
Hydrogen peroxide is a natural disinfectant that helps a lot in clearing virus and thereby relieves your infection. For best results, always use 3% hydrogen peroxide solution.
Here are few ways of using hydrogen peroxide for treating herpes.
- Apply a little hydrogen peroxide on the affected area by using a cotton ball. Leave it on for a few minutes and rinse the area with lukewarm water. Do the same process several times daily for a couple of days.
- Take a lysine tablet and crush it into a powder form and then mix it with enough of hydrogen peroxide to make a paste. Apply it to the affected area and rinse off after a few minutes.
- For treating oral sores or herpes, mix 1 part of hydrogen peroxide with 3 parts of water to make it as a mouthwash. Use it a few times daily for 2 – 3 days to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 4: (Garlic)
Being a natural antimicrobial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory agent, garlic is considered as a popular home remedy to combat herpes & its outbreaks. The allicin is a chemical compound present in garlic will exhibit antiviral properties that help to clear the herpes virus.
The ajoene is an antiviral compound in garlic oil that works effectively in treating herpes. Here are a few ways of using garlic as a herpes remover.
- Take 2 garlic cloves and crush them finely. Place this crushed garlic clove on the affected area and let it sit for about 10 – 15 minutes. Take out the paste and repeat this application a few times daily for 2 – 3 days until you get relief from herpes. Make sure that it causes some burning sensation.
- Prepare garlic oil by frying a few fresh garlic cloves in olive oil (or coconut oil) for few minutes until they turn to brown and strain the oil. Apply this garlic oil on the affected areas for 2 – 3 times daily on herpes affected skin areas.
- Include garlic as a part of your daily diet (or) consume 1 – 2 crushed garlic cloves daily, as it works as a preventive measure of enhancing immunity and clear the virus causing herpes.
Remedy – 5: (Lemon Balm)
This herb is effective in reducing the intensity of herpes outbreaks and clears herpes virus with its antiviral and antibacterial properties. The eugenol in this lemon balm works as a natural pain reliever to clear the pain, itching, and swelling.
Here are few ways of using lemon balm for herpes.
- Take 2 – 4 teaspoons of chopped fresh lemon balm and pour it into 1 cup of hot water. Let it steep for about 10 – 15 minutes and strain the tea. Let it cool for a few minutes and apply the mix by using a clean cotton ball on the affected skin areas. Leave for a few minutes and rinse the area with water. Repeat it for several times daily.
- Drink lemon balm tea (or rinse the area with this tea) for several times daily will help to clear herpes and its symptoms.
- Applying lemon balm oil (or wet tea bags) on the affected skin area for 3 – 4 times daily will help you to get rid of the infection.
- Dab some lemon balm extract on the affected area and leave until it dries completely. Repeat it a few times daily to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 6: (Licorice Root)
The glycyrrhizin is an active ingredient in licorice root that exhibits antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that help to cure the virus causing herpes and its symptoms. It helps to strengthen the immunity and fights against the herpes virus.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of licorice root powder in 1/2 tablespoon of water and stir well to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area and let it sit for a few hours.
- Rinse off the area with water and pat dry the skin.
- Repeat the same process for 3 – 4 times daily until the blister has gone completely.
- Or applying a thin layer of liquid licorice root extract or cream or gel on the affected area regularly will help you to get rid of the problem.
- People suffering from high blood pressure should avoid taking this herb internally. Also, make sure that topical application of this root will cause skin irritation. So, make sure to discontinue its usage while suffering from this problem.
Remedy – 7: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil exhibits antiherpetic, anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties that help to get relief from herpes. The terpenes and phenylpropanoids in tea tree oil will exhibit antiviral activity more than eucalyptus oil.
- Mix 10 drops of tea tree oil in 1/2 ounce of natural oil (or vegetable oil) and stir well.
- Mix 5 drops each of geranium and myrrh essential oil and 2 drops of peppermint oil to it.
- Stir well and apply it on the affected area for a few minutes.
- Rinse off the area with lukewarm water and repeat the same process for 3 – 5 times regularly until the herpes outbreak clears.
Note: Or simply massage the tea tree oil diluted in any carrier oil on the affected areas for a few minutes and rinse off with water.
Olive leaf extract (OLE) is also an effective remedy that clears your herpes simplex virus and make you free from herpes infection. Read More on How to use Olive Leaf Extract for Herpes.
Tips and Precautions:
- Applying peppermint oil on the affected area (or) drinking peppermint tea will help to reduce the severity of herpes outbreak and soothe the pain and irritation.
- Application of natural oils like coconut oil (or olive oil) which contains antiviral and antibacterial properties will kill the herpes virus and also drink coconut oil daily.
- Applying aloe vera gel to the affected area will soothe the sores and heals the lesions to get rid of pain and inflammation. Let it dry naturally and then wipe off with a soft washcloth dipped in warm water (or) simply apply aloe vera containing creams or extract topically to the affected skin.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy fluids like herbal teas, fresh fruits and vegetables (or its juices), soups, etc. to strengthen your immune system and to flush out the toxins from the body.
- Consume a healthy diet which contains lysine-rich foods (dairy products, eggs, soybeans, apricots, mangos, etc.) or take L-lysine supplements (500 – 1000 mg daily).
- Include more cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, etc. to inhibit the growth of herpes viruses. Also, intake of orange and red vegetables, wild caught fish, lean proteins, vitamin C and Zinc rich foods will help for herpes treatment.
- The intake of certain foods like sugar, alcohol, processed or packaged foods, acidic foods, L-arginine rich foods, etc. will weaken the immune system, causes inflammation and thereby worsen the problem.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t get any relief from the sores and symptoms of herpes within a week to 10 days or suffering from a weakened immune system.
- The usage of other natural remedies like colloidal silver, oregano oil, elderberry, Echinacea, used black tea bags, cornstarch, baking soda, raw honey, DMSO, etc. will treat herpes infection and also prevent its recurrence.
- Follow some careful skin care hygiene and avoid sharing your things with others. Also, avoid sexual intercourse or kissing someone until the sores are healed completely.
- Practice stress management or stress relief activities like deep breathing, yoga, and meditation.
- Maintain some hygiene in the genital parts like proper cleaning and drying the area thoroughly.
- Quit smoking and get a sound sleep of about 7 – 8 hours per day to enhance your immune system.
All these natural remedies are safe and effective in curing the herpes viral infection. Regular follow up will definitely help you in preventing its recurrence.
Do you know any other successful natural remedies to get relief from herpes? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.