An uncontrollable fart at an inconvenient time will make a joke for years to come. However, the production of gas is generally a natural part of the digestive process in the body but most people dread to pass gas in front of others why because it can be embarrassing.
Passing gas is a normal affair but do you know how this gas is formed in the stomach? The main reason is when the bacteria in the colon ferment carbohydrates, which won’t digest properly in the small intestine and thereby forms the gas (or flatulence) in the stomach.
Causes of Stomach Gas:
The other triggers causing stomach gas includes…
- High fiber foods (fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains, and peas)
- Excessive drinking
- Improper chewing of food
- Consuming spicy and gas forming foods
- Stress & anxiety
- Bacterial infection
- Digestive disorders
- Intake of artificial additives by food
- Food intolerance
- Swallowing air through mouth while consuming food or drinking water
Here are some symptoms which are experienced by a person suffering from this stomach gas disorder.
- Frequent flatulence
- Lack of appetite
- Abdominal bloating
- Bad breath
- Sharp cramps in the abdominal area
- A coating on the tongue
- Jabbing pain felt in the chest
Stomach gas pain can be experienced whenever the gas buildup in the intestine and unable to expel this and hence thereby experience the gas pain. People at any age can suffer from this stomach gas problem, especially, those who are lactose or gluten intolerant, consuming high fiber foods, drinking excess amounts of carbonated beverages or suffering from chronic intestinal conditions (irritable bowel syndrome or inflammatory bowel disease).
At certain times, gas pain is treated as chest pain or gallstone or appendicitis or any other stomach ailments. So, get proper diagnose with your doctor, especially if you’re suffering from this pain for a long time why because it may an underlying cause for any serious health problem.
Instead of taking antacids why don’t you take natural remedies which are available at home to get quick and long lasting results from this stomach gas and flatulence?
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Stomach Gas:
Have a look at these sure-fire natural remedies which help you to deal with stomach gas at any time with simple home ingredients.
Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Yellow Mustard)
Yellow mustard is a basic household ingredient that can be found in the refrigerator. The rich content of acetic acid in this mustard helps to lower the acidity levels in the stomach and thereby gives you instant relief from the gas and its pain.
It also contains turmeric (in a small amount) that helps a lot in clearing digestive system and also enhances the gut health.
- Take 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of regular yellow mustard.
- Consume it straight and drink 1 glass of warm water immediately to wash down the mustard.
- Sit and relax to get relief from this gas problem within 5 – 10 minutes.
- Repeat this process whenever you suffer from stomach gas or flatulence.
Remedy – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) helps a lot in dealing with various digestive disorders, including stomach gas with its natural enzymes, acetic acid and natural pH balancing property. It aids in proper digestion and helps to alkalize the body to get rid of excess gas. It makes you feel comfortable and gives instant relief by soothing the irritated stomach.
ACV is safe to use for pregnant or expectant and breastfeeding mothers and for best results, always use raw, organic, unfiltered and unpasteurized ACV.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of ACV in 1 glass of warm water and stir well.
- Let the ACV water cool to reach room temperature.
- Then stir and drink it to get relief from the abdominal gas.
- Continue drinking this ACV water for twice daily whenever you suffer from this problem.
Note: If you don’t have ACV then try regular vinegar to get relief from stomach gas.
Remedy – 3: (Ginger)
Ginger (in any form) will aid in relieving your stomach gas and indigestion problem due to its antiemetic power. It has a carminative effect that makes the body expel the intestinal gas. It accelerates the process of gastric emptying and thus improves the digestion process by relaxing and soothing the intestinal tract.
Here are some best ways of using ginger to combat gas and other digestive disorders.
- Mix equal quantities of powdered fennel, cardamom and ground ginger in a small bowl and stir well. Then take 1 teaspoon of this mix and add it to 1 cup of water along with a pinch of asafetida. Mix thoroughly and drink this once or twice daily to get soothing and quick relief from abdominal gas.
- Simply extract some fresh ginger juice and mix it with a pinch of asafetida. Consume it to beat your stomach gas and flatulence problem.
- The simplest way to use ginger is to chew a fresh piece of ginger thoroughly after your meals on regular basis to prevent the excess production of gas. Or simply add a small amount of dried or fresh ginger to the food.
- Take 1 tablespoon of ground ginger and pour it in a pan filled with 1 ½ cups of water. Boil it and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes. Strain the mix and drink this ginger tea for 2 – 3 times daily. If you want, add some fresh lemon juice and honey to enhance the taste of your ginger tea.
- Add a few drops of ginger essential oil to any base oil. Rub it gently on your abdomen and repeat it regularly to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 4: (Baking Soda & Lemon)
Baking soda acts as a natural antacid that helps to expel the stomach gas and thereby relieves your problem effectively. Lemon with its citric acid content helps to relieve your abdominal gas. So, this combination works well in treating your stomach gas and flatulence along with its symptoms.
- Take 1/2 a piece of lemon and squeeze it thoroughly in 1 glass of warm water.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and stir well.
- Drink this water immediately to get instant relief from the gas and its pain.
- Repeat the same process of drinking this baking soda – lemon water whenever you suffer from this problem to get quick relief.
- If you don’t have a lemon then simply stir 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 6 ounces of water and consume it to relieve your gas in the abdomen.
- Always remember that not to make a habit of intake of baking soda every time why because it causes a temporary relief but can cause some harm to the health if used for a long run.
- Avoid using baking soda, if you’re on sodium restricted diet and simple drink lemon or other citric fruit juices (or papaya juice).
Remedy – 5: (Activated Charcoal)
Activated charcoal is an excellent remedy for gas and bloating with its intense adsorption capacity. It has a porous structure that helps to trap your excess gas in the intestine and thereby help to get rid of this stomach gas or flatulence quickly.
- Take 500 mg of activated charcoal 2 hours before or after your meals to reduce the gas & its formation.
- Remember to drink a large glass of water after taking this activated charcoal/
- You can also take activated charcoal in the form of powder or tablet or capsules but make sure to consult your doctor for the exact dosage, as per your health condition.
Remedy – 6: (Cinnamon)
To soothe your irritated stomach and to prevent the buildup of stomach gas, cinnamon acts as an effective remedy. It reduces the secretion of pepsin and gastric acid from the stomach walls and thereby provides instant relief from the gas related problems.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and add it to 1 cup of warm milk.
- Stir well and drink this cinnamon milk to get relief from the problem.
- If you want, you can add a little raw honey to this milk and consume it.
Note: Or simply prepare a cinnamon tea by mixing 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder (or a few cinnamon sticks) in 1 cup of boiling water. Steep for 5 minutes and strain it to drink this cinnamon tea whenever you suffer from this problem.
Remedy – 7: (Fennel)
Being carminative, fennel acts as the best remedy to give a faster relief from the gas and bloating. It helps the body to expel the gas in the gastrointestinal tract and also it works well in treating baby colic.
- Crush 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds thoroughly and stir well by adding 1 cup of hot water. Cover and steep it for 5 – 7 minutes. Strain and drink this fennel tea for once or twice daily. Or simply drink this tea after having a heavy meal to prevent the bloating and stomach gas problem.
- If you bear the taste of fennel then simply chew a few fennel seeds or fresh fennel leaves after having your meals.
- Stir equal quantities of fennel, cardamom and mint leaves in a pan filled with 2 cups of water. Boil it for a few minutes to prepare a concoction and consume it to get rid of stomach gas.
Note: Also, the intake of chamomile tea will help a lot in aiding proper digestion and to prevent stomach gas. So, consume it to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 8: (Asafetida)
Asafetida exhibits antispasmodic & antiflatulent properties that make it work effectively in alleviating the intestinal problems like intestinal gas, indigestion, bloating and upset stomach.
Have a look at some best ways of using asafetida for getting rid of stomach gas.
- Simply add a pinch of asafetida in 1 glass of warm water and stir well. Consume this water for 2 – 3 times daily whenever you suffer from abdominal gas.
- If you want to bear the taste of asafetida then place a small quantity of asafetida in a ripe banana and consume it. Repeat this process for twice a day to cure your abdominal gas and flatulence problem.
- Mix asafetida in a little water to make a fine paste and spread this paste topically on the stomach with a gentle massage. Leave it for a few minutes to dry naturally and wipe off the area to clear the applied paste and the gas. Follow this topical application to dissipate the gas quickly.
Remedy – 9: (Peppermint)
The menthol in peppermint exhibits the antispasmodic property that helps a lot in soothing and relaxing the stomach muscles. It eases the gas pains by expelling the painful digestive gas. Regular usage of peppermint will definitely help you to get rid of stomach gas and other digestive problems.
In a study, it is stated that regular intake of peppermint will help to clear the symptoms like gas, bloating, abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, pain or urgency at defecation, etc.
You can use peppermint in different ways and some best ways are explained below to treat your gas problem.
- Prepare a peppermint tea by mixing 1 teaspoon of fresh peppermint leaves in a cup of boiling water. Allow it to steep for 10 minutes and strain. Add some honey and drink this tea for 2 – 3 times daily.
- Stir 2 drops of peppermint essential oil in 1/2 cup of cool water. Drink this water for once or twice a day whenever you suffer from this intestinal gas.
- Chew a few fresh peppermint leaves thoroughly to relieve your gas and the discomforts caused by it.
Remedy – 10: (Buttermilk)
Buttermilk is an excellent Ayurvedic remedy that helps to expel your intestinal gas with its rich content of probiotic microbes. It promotes proper digestion and prevents excessive gas or its formation. It also soothes the stomach intestine to reduce the acidity and stomach bloating.
To grab maximum benefits from buttermilk, you have to mix it with carom seeds and black salt for treating gas and flatulence.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of black salt and carom seeds in 1 cup of buttermilk.
- Stir well and drink it twice daily to get relief from the stomach gas.
- Or simply use celery seeds instead of carom seeds in the above process to get rid of the problem.
- Also, mix a pinch of dry ginger powder and a little rock salt in 1 glass of buttermilk and stir well to drink it once or twice daily to get complete relief from the gas and its discomforts caused by intestinal gas.
Tips and Precautions:
- If you’re suffering from gas due to lactose sensitivity then take lactase supplements that help to digest the lactose and reduce your gas along with its symptoms. Make sure to consult your doctor before taking these supplements.
- Reduce the intake of dairy products and quit fried or fatty foods which cause intestinal problems.
- Always make sure to keep a track on the foods which trigger gas and intestinal problems. So, try to avoid foods which causing intestinal gas.
- Remember to consume 4 – 5 small meals per day instead of having 3 large meals. Also, be sure to eat slowly and chew the food thoroughly without a gulp.
- Drinking with a straw or chewing gums will make you swallow air and thereby contribute to form the gas.
- Quit smoking and reduce the intake of alcohol and carbonated drinks to reduce swallowing air and thereby increases the accumulation of gas.
- Also, limit the consumption of foods which are high in sulfur (like garlic) to reduce the odor and formation of gas.
- Regular exercises and other physical activities help to move the gas easily through the digestive tract. So, perform yoga (wind – releasing pose, mountain pose, and downward facing dog pose), walking, jogging, playing outdoor games, etc. will help to relieve your abdominal gas.
- Lie down by elevating your head while suffering from the discomfort in the stomach due to the accumulation of gas and rest in that position for some time till you get rid of the discomfort. Also, lie down on one’s side while suffering from bloating during pregnancy.
- The intake of certain spices like turmeric, cumin, fennel or cardamom will help you in dealing with digestion and stomach gas.
- Increase the intake of water and other fluids (hot fluids like herbal teas or coffee or smoothies or fresh fruit and vegetable juices) to aid proper digestion (especially when consumes fiber-rich foods) and to flush out the waste or toxins from the body and to prevent the formation of gas.
- Drinking warm water mixed with 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds or black seeds in 1 cup of boiling water and steeping for 10 minutes to strain it. Drink this water right before eating to get rid of the formation of stomach gas.
- Probiotics help to enhance good bacteria in your gut and keep its functioning normally. So, consume probiotic-rich foods to enhance bowel movement and to get complete relief from the stomach gas.
Are you one who suffers from stomach gas frequently? Searching for natural ways to get rid of stomach gas and flatulence, then simply follow the above mentioned natural home remedies and tips to get rid of the problem. Do you know any other successful remedies for relieving your stomach gas? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.