When the stomach acids regurgitate upwards into the esophagus with burning sensation then it is termed as acid reflux (or acid indigestion). It is a digestive problem that causes pain and the condition becomes worse when you bend or lie down.
It causes heartburn, bloating, bad breath, sore throat, difficulty in breathing, burning sensation in the chest, belching, etc. There are many triggers like fatty foods, citrus fruits, oily or spicy foods, etc. that cause acid reflux.
Instead of using expensive over the counter drugs for acid reflux, you can try using a natural and inexpensive treatment at home with baking soda.
Baking soda has been a popular remedy for treating many digestive problems like stomachache, stomach gas, bloating, upset stomach, heartburn and now comes acid reflux.
In this article, we are learning all about baking soda to treat acid reflux in detail. Let’s get started.
How Does Baking Soda work for Acid Reflux?
- Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate has alkaline nature that helps to neutralize the acids in the stomach and thereby reduces the reverse flow of stomach contents into the esophagus.
- It provides a proper balance of acid/alkaline levels in the stomach and reduces the burning sensation or tightness in the chest.
- It plays a role in maintaining a balanced pH level in the body and bloodstream which, in turn, reduces acidity in the stomach and also prevents the recurrence of acid reflux.
- It acts as a natural antacid that effectively relieves your acid indigestion, stomach upset, sour stomach, heartburn, etc.
How to Treat Acid Reflux using Baking Soda?
Here are the best ways of using baking soda for treating acid reflux. Have a look at these methods and follow them regularly to get quick relief from acid reflux.
Method – 1: (Baking Soda)
The baking soda for acid reflux remedy will come in solution form i.e., baking soda has to be mixed with water. Here is the detailed process.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1/2 glass of water.
- Stir well till baking soda dissolves completely in water.
- Drink it twice daily to get rid of acid reflux.
Note: If you’re suffering from frequent attacks of acid reflux (GERD), then you should not use this method, as it raises blood pressure and swelling.
Method – 2: (Baking Soda with Honey)
Baking soda neutralizes the acid content in the stomach and honey soothes the stomach to prevent irritation and burning sensation caused by acid reflux.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of raw honey and baking soda in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well till all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Drink this solution whenever you get acid reflux to get rid of the problem.
Note: Or simply mix 1/2 teaspoon each of baking soda and fresh lemon juice in 1 cup of warm water. Stir well till the fizz stops and drink it to get relief from acid reflux.
Method – 3: (Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar treats acid reflux by calming the irritated stomach and also provides essential nutrients needed for proper digestion and gut’s health.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of raw apple cider vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in 8 ounces of water.
- Stir well and drink it on an empty stomach to get relief from the acid reflux.
- Repeat the intake of this mix as needed to get relief from the problem.
- Or mix 2 tablespoons each of baking soda and cider vinegar in 1 glass of water and drink it twice daily to get relief from GERD (a severe form of acid reflux).
- Also, mix 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of water. Stir well and sip it slowly to get rid of the problem.
Tips and Precautions:
- Baking soda, if used in excess then it causes stomach gas, nausea, increased thirst, abdominal cramps, headache, etc.
- Pregnant or nursing women and children should consult their doctor before using baking soda for acid reflux.
- It may interact with certain medications and the sodium content in the baking soda will increase blood pressure. So, people suffering from any health problem or taking medications should consult their doctor before using it.
- Reduce your overweight by doing some regular exercises, as overweight is the main trigger for acid reflux.
- Avoid foods that trigger acid reflux, drink plenty of water and consume easily to digest healthy food to prevent the recurrence of acid reflux.
- Never ever lay down or bend after consuming your food and there should be a gap of 2 – 3 hours. It’s preferred to raise your head at night bedtime to get rid of the problem.
- Always wear loose clothes and quit smoking to get rid of the problem.
- Consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment, if you didn’t get relief from the problem or experiencing the problem more frequently.
- Baking soda is not meant for long time usage, as it causes some serious health problems if used for longer time.
Try these baking soda methods for acid reflux and share your experience with us in the below comments box.