Acid reflux (or acid indigestion) is caused when the stomach contents or acid coming back into the esophagus due to the improper close of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). It is a painful health problem that causes heartburn, abdominal pain, sour taste, bloating, burning sensation in the intestine, etc.
However, there are many over the counter medications and antacids that treat this condition but the usage of these medications may cause some side effects with temporary relief.
In certain cases, the acid reflux occurs when there is enough stomach acid to break down or digest the food, which in turn, causes inflammation in the esophageal wall. So, in this case, apple cider vinegar (ACV) works best in treating acid reflux.
Here, in this article, we are going to know all about apple cider vinegar for acid reflux. Let’s get started.
How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Work for Acid Reflux?
- Apple cider vinegar prevents the stomach acid from moving up into the esophagus. It calms your irritated stomach by restoring the stomach’s pH balance.
- The acidic nature of ACV will provide the essential acidity to the esophagus and thus help to break down the food properly and digest it easily.
- It is enriched with many essential nutrients like calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, etc. which aids in proper mineral absorption and thereby proper digestion of food and weight loss.
- The acetic acid in the vinegar helps to fight against the harmful bacteria or other foreign bodies for proper digestion and to enhance the gut’s health.
- It provides the body with various vitamins and traces of minerals that help to build an alkaline environment in the body. This, in turn, reduces acidity in your stomach, kills harmful bacteria in foods and aids in proper digestion.
How to Treat Acid Reflux using Apple Cider Vinegar:
There are several ways of using apple cider vinegar to treat acid reflux. But here we will discuss the best and effective ways. Let’s have a look at these methods.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Water)
This is the simple and most common way of using ACV for acid reflux.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of organic ACV in 1 glass of water (prefer lukewarm water).
- Drink it before taking meals or whenever you suffer from the attack of acid reflux.
- If you want, add some honey to this water before drinking.
- You can increase the quantity of ACV up to 2 tablespoons mixed in 8 ounces of water.
- Also, use this ACV as your salad dressing (or) add it to your fruits juices, smoothies, healthy drinks or in cooking to get rid of GERD.
- Never ever drink undiluted ACV, as it causes irritation in the esophagus and damages your tooth enamel.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Honey)
Both honey and ACV has rich content of potassium which helps to neutralize the stomach acids. Honey soothes the irritated and inflamed esophagus with its soothing properties.
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of organic ACV and raw honey.
- Consume this mix slowly to get relief from the acid reflux symptoms.
- Repeat the same regularly whenever you suffer from acid reflux.
Method – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda)
Baking soda acts as an antacid that neutralizes the stomach acid to a great extent. Baking soda helps to neutralize the acidity of ACV and makes it not to cause any tooth enamel erosion or dental sensitivity.
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of ACV in 250 mg of water (8 ounces).
- Stir well and drink it on an empty stomach to get relief from acid reflux.
- Continue the intake of this drink for twice daily till you get complete relief from the problem.
Note: If you’re suffering from severe acid reflux (GERD) then mix 2 tablespoons each of ACV and baking soda in 1 glass of water and drink it for twice daily to get rid of the problem.
You can also follow these 5 Best Home Remedies for Acid Reflux
Possible Side Effects:
ACV is safe to drink but you need to pay some attention on how you’re consuming it. Otherwise, it results in some side effects rather than treating acid reflux.
- Damage Tooth enamel – It is highly acidic in nature which harms your teeth by increasing dental sensitivity or erosion of tooth enamel. So, it’s best to drink the ACV with a straw and also rinse your mouth after drinking.
- Interact with Medications – It interacts with some medications like diuretics, heart disease medicines, diabetes drugs, laxatives, etc.
- Worsens your Ulcers – If you have ulcer then avoid using ACV for acid reflux, as its acidic nature will make your ulcers even worse.
- Blood Thinning – It thins your blood, so avoid taking it before planning for surgery or taking any blood thinning medications.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always use organic, raw, unpasteurized and unfiltered apple cider vinegar with its Mother content, which exhibits natural enzymes and filled with many nutrients.
- Avoid drinking caffeinated beverages while suffering from acid reflux. Also, don’t consume 3 large meals instead, have 6 small meals for better digestion and thereby to prevent acid reflux.
- If you’re suffering from severe acid reflux (or) frequent attacks of acid reflux then consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Quit smoking and drinking alcohol for getting relief from heartburn and acid reflux.
- Avoid sleeping immediately after consuming food and also elevate your head while sleeping to get rid of late night attacks of acid reflux.
- Avoid the consumption of spicy, fatty, oily or processed foods as they result in acid reflux.
Try these Apple Cider Vinegar methods to cure acid reflux and share your experience with us in the below comments box.