Are you experiencing frequent loose, runny or liquid bowel movements? Then you’re suffering from diarrhea.
Diarrhea is a frequent loose bowel movement that accompanied with bloating, nausea, dehydration, abdominal cramps, and vomiting. It occurs when the colon is not functioning properly in eliminating harmful toxins, ingested materials and other impurities from the body for its healthy functioning.
The main triggers causing diarrhea are consumption of contaminated foods and water, bacterial or viral infections, intestinal disorders, food poisoning or allergies, stress or anxiety, poor digestion, etc.
Instead of using over the counter medications, you can use some natural remedies to get relief from your diarrhea. Unless it is chronic diarrhea, we can easily cure diarrhea at home within few days.
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best natural remedy that effectively works well in treating diarrhea and make you to regain the lost electrolytes.
In this article, we will learn how to treat diarrhea using Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). Let’s get started.
How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Works for Clearing Diarrhea?
Have a look on its benefits (or properties) that help you in dealing with this diarrhea and to re-energize you by recovering the lost electrolytes naturally.
- ACV has water soluble fiber called pectin that helps to thicken the stool and thereby prevent these watery or loose stools.
- It has antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that fight off the diarrhea causing microbes (E. coli or salmonella) in the intestine and soothes the irritated lining of the colon by forming a protective layer.
- It helps to maintain proper balance of your pH levels in the digestive tract or intestine, which in turn helps for the regrowth of the good bacteria. It also soothes the irritated stomach and intestinal spasms.
- It is enriched with all essential nutrients that help to replenish the lost electrolytes like magnesium and potassium.
- It acts as cleansing agent that not to get rid of diarrhea but also clears its symptoms like stomach cramps, nausea, abdominal pain, etc.
How to Treat Diarrhea using Apple Cider Vinegar?
Here are some best ways of using apple cider vinegar for diarrhea. Follow these ACV methods to get complete relief from diarrhea.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
This is the simple and effective method that used to treat many health problems, including diarrhea.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of water (prefer lukewarm water).
- Stir well and drink this ACV water after each meal.
- Continuous intake of this water will help you to get relief from the diarrhea.
- Or Honey soothes the irritated lining of the colon and enhances the taste of this drink. So, mix 1 – 2 tablespoons of ACV and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 1 glass of warm water. Drink this water regularly till you get rid of diarrhea and its symptoms.
- Also, use cayenne pepper instead of honey. Mix 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper and 2 tablespoons of ACV in 8 ounce of lukewarm water. Drink it to get rid of diarrhea associated with Crohn’s disease.
- Also, you can increase the intake of ACV up to 2 tablespoons by slowly till you get rid of the problem.
- Or simply mix ACV in cool water or juice or smoothies instead of lukewarm water and drink it.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Lemon)
Lemon juice clears the bacteria or other microbes causing diarrhea and also helps a lot in eliminating the toxins from the body and enhance the proper functioning of the colon to prevent diarrhea. The intake of this drink will rejuvenate you and thus prevent you from frequent falling into illness.
- Extract the juice from 3 lemons freshly in a glass.
- Then add 1/4 cup of raw ACV and 3/4 cup of water.
- Stir well and drink this water for once daily.
- Repeat the intake of this drink regularly until you get relief from diarrhea and its symptoms.
Note: Or you can also drink lemon juice mixed in ACV (Exclude water) for once daily to get rid of the problem.
Method – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda)
Baking soda cleanses the digestive gut and balances the pH levels. It also has soothing properties that soothe the irritated digestive tract and thereby relieves your irritation and abdominal pain.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of unfiltered ACV in 1 glass of water.
- Stir well and drink it to control the flow of loose watery stools.
- But make sure that not to take too much of baking soda, as it reverses the condition with its laxative property.
- Repeat the intake of this drink till you get rid of diarrhea.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always drink ACV water by using a straw and rinse off your mouth thoroughly after drinking ACV with water to prevent the attack of acid.
- For best results, use raw, organic and unfiltered apple cider vinegar that contains the mother.
- Never ever take over dosage of ACV or any other ingredients, as they worsen the problem and make you suffer from digestive issues by killing the good bacteria and pull out the water from the body into the bowel and make it more watery.
- Pregnant or breast feeding women should consult their doctor before taking this vinegar for clearing their diarrhea.
- People suffering from diabetes or any nutritional deficiencies should consult their doctor before consuming this vinegar drink, as it lowers the blood sugar levels and reduce the potassium levels.
- For those people, those who are not interested in drinking ACV, can take it in capsules form. The suggested dosage is 1000 mg, which you can easily find in health stores.
- If you didn’t get any relief from diarrhea after using this ACV methods for 2 – 3 days, then consult your doctor for proper diagnose (chronic diarrhea) and treatment to get rid of the problem.
- ACV is acidic in nature and may wear down your teeth enamel, so you have to dilute it with other liquids before drinking to prevent the burning sensation in the mouth, throat or esophagus.
- ACV may interfere with certain medications like antibiotics and diabetes. So, consult your doctor before using this ACV for diarrhea to prevent side effects.
- Drink plenty of water and other clear liquids like herbal teas, chicken broth and consume BRAT diet until you get relief from diarrhea and its symptoms completely.
Hope you will try these Apple Cider Vinegar methods for treating diarrhea. Do you know any other successful ACV methods for curing diarrhea? Then share it with us in the below comments box.