When your digestive system (colon) is not functioning properly of eliminating harmful toxins, ingested materials and other wastes from the body to maintain healthy functioning, then this diarrhea occurs.
The bacteria or virus which enters into intestine will attack the lining of the digestive system and makes it unable to absorb fluid from bowel contents. This further causes the bowel to move quickly from digestive system that leads to diarrhea.
Diarrhea is characterized by loose and watery stools. It can be caused due to viral or bacterial infection, food allergies, stress, consumption of contaminated food or water, anxiety, excessive alcohol intake, side effects of certain medications, etc.
Vomiting, thirst (dehydration), loss of appetite, fever, nausea, stomach pain, frequent bowel movement, etc. are some of the symptoms experienced by the people suffering from diarrhea.
This problem can last for 2 – 7 days and can be healed on its own but if it continues longer (or) increased the frequency of bowel movement, then consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
Home Remedies for Diarrhea:
Suffering from diarrhea? Don’t worry about it and start using the natural home remedies that help you to get relief from diarrhea and its symptoms.
Remedy – 1: (Fenugreek Seeds)
Fenugreek seeds have rich mucilage content that will bulk up your stool and relieves you from the discomfort or severity of diarrhea.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt.
- Cover it and let it steep for few minutes.
- Then swallow this yogurt soaked fenugreek seeds to get rid of diarrhea.
Note: Or mix 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and 1 tablespoon of roasted cumin seeds in 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Stir well and consume it for 2 – 3 times daily.
Remedy – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that fight against the germs causing diarrhea. It has pectin and other essential enzyme and nutrients that provide a protective coating and rehydrates your body.
- Add 1 – 2 tablespoons of organic ACV and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 1 glass of water (prefer lukewarm water).
- Stir well and drink it for twice daily till you recovered from diarrhea.
- Also, consume 1 teaspoon of ACV followed by 1 glass of water (or) use fresh lemon juice, cayenne pepper or baking soda instead of honey in this process.
- Rinse your mouth with water thoroughly and also use a straw to drink this ACV water, which in turn help to get rid of acid attack.
Remedy – 3: (Ginger)
Ginger has enzymes, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that prevent microbial action, detoxify your digestive system, relieves you from the pain and spasms to get rid of diarrhea.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon powder, dried ginger powder honey and cumin powder in a bowl.
- Stir well and consume this for 3 times daily till you get relief from these loose watery stools.
- Also, chew few fresh ginger slices (or) drink ginger tea, ginger ale (or) eat gingersnap cookies, gingerbread (or) include ginger in your daily diet to prevent diarrhea.
- Or mix equal quantities of fresh lemon juice and ginger juice along with some crushed pepper in a bowl. Stir and have it for 2 – 3 times daily to treat diarrhea.
- Make sure that people who have high blood pressure or taking blood thinning medications should avoid using ginger.
Remedy – 4: (Blueberries)
Anthocyanosides in blueberries will exhibit antibacterial and antioxidant properties that fight against the microbes causing diarrhea. It has a rich source of pectin (soluble fiber) that eases your diarrhea symptoms.
- Chew few dried blueberries for few times daily to prevent germs causing diarrhea.
- Also, boil few crushed dried blueberries in 1 cup of water for 10 – 15 minutes. Strain it and drink the tea for several times daily to improve your condition.
- Or prepare a soup with dried blueberries and have it regularly.
Remedy – 5: (Chamomile)
Chamomile is an excellent herb used for treating various digestive problems that include diarrhea. It has a rich source of tannins and antispasmodic property that helps to treat diarrhea.
- Place 1 teaspoon each of peppermint leaves and chamomile flowers in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for about 12 – 15 minutes and strain it.
- Drink it by adding some honey to get rid of diarrhea.
- Regular intake of this tea for 2 – 3 times daily will speed up your healing process.
Note: Or prepare chamomile tea by using pre-packed tea bags.
Remedy – 6: (Orange Peel Tea)
Orange peel helps to control your diarrhea and its symptoms. It adds some bulk to your stools and reduces the frequency of your bowel movement.
- Rinse the orange thoroughly to clear any pesticides on the peel.
- Then remove the peel and chop it into pieces.
- Place the chopped peel in 1/2 cup of boiling water and allow it to steep for few minutes.
- Then add some honey to the cooled tea and drink it after straining the tea.
- Continue drinking this orange peel tea for 2 – 3 times daily to get relief from diarrhea.
Tips and Precautions:
- Consume BRAT (Banana, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast) to get rid of diarrhea, as bland foods will be easily absorbed by the body and provide essential nutrients that aids for faster relief.
- Yogurt has probiotics (good bacteria) that protect your intestine from germs. It also has active and live cultures that regulate the stool consistency and balances your gut health. So, consume 1 bowl of plain yogurt by adding any frozen fruits on daily basis to get rid of the problem.
- Potatoes will help you to combat diarrhea with its starch substance. Consume plain or boiled potatoes or cook rice with potatoes and have it. But avoid eating French fries or other spicy or fried potatoes.
- Drink plenty of water and other clear fluids like coconut oil, fresh fruit or vegetable juices, soups (carrot soup), brews, herbal teas, etc. frequently to prevent dehydration and to make yourself well-hydrated and to replace lost electrolytes in the body.
- Avoid drinking caffeinated, alcoholic and acidic drinks (citrus juice and tomato juice) along with spicy foods and dairy products while suffering from diarrhea, as they cause dehydration and makes your problem worse.
- Get plenty of rest which helps the body to reproduce energy and electrolyte balance that is essential to fight against the germs causing diarrhea and heals your intestine.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t get relief from diarrhea within 3 days or having severe pain in the intestine for proper diagnose and treatment.
That’s all for now about Natural Ways to get rid of Diarrhea, try these remedies whenever you suffer from diarrhea. Do you know any other remedies that treat diarrhea? Then share it with us.