Bad breath is caused due to the overload of bacteria in the mouth, underlying dental problems, intake of certain smelly foods like garlic or onions, etc. Rather than using a store brought mouthwashes which are filled with chemicals, try some natural homemade mouthwash for preventing bad breath without harming your mouth.
Here we are explaining about the 5 best natural DIY mouthwash for treating your bad breath.
Mouthwash – 1: (Cinnamon with Honey and Lemon Juice)
Cinnamon kills the odor causing bacteria. Honey has an antimicrobial property that clears germs and soothes your teeth. Lemon provides strong refreshing citrus scent along with whitening your teeth.
- Place 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon in a jar and add freshly squeezed lemon juice from 2 lemons, 1 ½ teaspoon of raw honey and ½ – 1 teaspoon of baking soda (optional).
- Stir well by adding 1 cup of warm water in the jar and fit its lid tightly.
- Shake it once and use it whenever you need to freshen up your breath.
- Pour 1 – 2 tablespoons of this cinnamon mouthwash and gargle for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Continue doing it regularly to get rid of bad breath and other oral problems.
Note: Or mix 1/2 teaspoon each of honey and cinnamon in 1 oz of warm water. Stir well and pour it into a glass jar. Use it as a mouthwash in every morning to feel fresh throughout the day.
Mouthwash – 2: (Mint Mouthwash)
This mouthwash has an antibacterial property that clears the bacteria and gives you a feel of fresh breath. Mint has antibacterial property and baking soda balances the pH levels in the mouth and also removes stains on teeth.
- Pour 1/2 cup of distilled water in a jar and add 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 2 drops each of tea tree oil and peppermint oil in it.
- Stir well and use this mouthwash by swishing about 2 – 3 teaspoons of this solution in your mouth.
- Swish for a minute or two to get rid of the problem.
- Repeat using this mouthwash regularly to get relief from the bad breath.
- Or steep 1 tablespoon of mint leaves in 2 cups of boiling water for an hour or two. Then strain the mix and store it in a mouthwash bottle. Regular follow-up will yield best results.
- Also, having a cup of hot mint tea at the end of your meal will leave you with a fresh breath.
- Alternatively, steep few fresh mint leaves and rosemary leaves in 70 ml of water for 24 hours. Strain it and use it as your mouthwash by storing in a glass jar.
Mouthwash – 3: (Lemon Mouthwash)
Lemon fights off the bacteria to prevent cavities. It whitens the teeth and makes your breath filled with lemon citrus scent.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of fresh lemon juice and honey in 1 cup of water.
- Stir well and store it in a bottle for regular usage.
- Shake it well before using every time.
- Pour 2 – 3 teaspoons of this mouthwash into your mouth and swirl around the mouth.
- Spit out and use this mouthwash regularly to get rid of the problem.
Note: Or mix 12 drops of lemon essential oil and 2 teaspoons of fresh aloe vera gel in 3 oz of water. Stir well in a small bottle and use it as a mouthwash in every morning. Shake well before use.
Mouthwash – 4: (Parsley)
Parsley has chlorophyll that exhibits antibacterial property to kill the bacteria causing bad breath. It also stimulates the saliva flow which in turn clears bacteria and other dental problems.
- Add few springs of chopped parsley and few whole cloves in 2 cups of water.
- Boil it for few minutes and turn off the heat.
- Let it cool for few minutes and strain it into a small glass bottle.
- Use it as your mouthwash and gargle the liquid regularly after taking each meal.
Note: Or simply chew few parsley leaves will freshen your breath.
Mouthwash – 5: (Apple Cider Vinegar Mouthwash)
Apple cider vinegar has antiseptic and antibacterial properties along with acidic nature that fight against the bacteria and break down the plaque to prevent bad breath.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of raw apple cider vinegar in 8 ounces of warm water.
- Stir well and pour this into a small glass jar.
- Use this mouthwash regularly and don’t forget to shake it well before using.
Tips and Precautions:
- Use freshly grounded cinnamon and freshly squeezed lemon juice, raw honey and other natural ingredients rather than using store bought one.
- These natural mouthwashes don’t have preservatives and thereby shelf life like cosmetic mouthwash. So, avoid storing this natural mouthwash for more than 2 weeks.
- The mouthwash is very less expensive but gives results the same as a commercial mouthwash.
- Never ever swallow the gargle mix as it contains bacteria and other things which causing harm to your teeth. So, spit out the mix completely.
- Always sterilize the bottle which you’re using for mouthwash. Also, consult your doctor before using pure essential oils in your mouthwash recipes.
- Other than using these mouthwashes, you can also consume food like apples, celery, raw carrots, cinnamon, berries, etc. that act as nature toothbrushes that not only kill bacteria but also scrub your teeth to prevent plaque, cavities, and yellow teeth.
- Include foods that are rich in vitamin C, drink plenty of water and avoid foods that are rich in sulfur, salt and sugar in your diet.
- If you didn’t get any relief from the bad breath after using these remedies, then it’s must to consult your doctor to know the exact reason and go with the treatment as per your health condition.
Give a trial to these natural Homemade mouthwashes and share your experience with us.