Have you ever been told you’ve got bad breathe? No worries, you’re not alone.
Almost 25% of the people worldwide are suffering from oral malodour.
Bad breathe also known as halitosis is caused due to the presence of bacteria in the mouth. The tooth decay, gum disease, improper brushing, tooth cavities etc. are the major reason of bacterial growth in the mouth. This may become serious issue while attending an interview or going on date.
These bacteria can become reason for various internal health problems. So, it is necessary to get rid of them as soon as possible. Mostly people prefer using mouthwashes that are available in the market, which are made up of alcohol and ethanoyl. These substances are very dangerous and known as cancer causing agent.
The best option is to use natural home remedies made up of herbs and spices. They are proven to be safe and are used in almost all the ayurvedic treatments.
Below we have listed top 8 natural DIY mouthwashes to prepare at home and say good bye to bad breathe.
Top 8 best natural mouthwashes to prepare at home:
Method 1: Cinnamon, Lemon and Honey
Cinnamon has essential oil that kills bacteria in the mouth. It also eliminates the germs that are responsible for the bad oral breath. The antibacterial property of honey removes the odour causing bacteria. Lemon has acidic nature which maintains the pH level in the mouth and provides fresh breath.
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon powder
- 2 lemons
- 1and ½ teaspoons raw honey
How to use?
- Take a jar and add ½ tablespoon of cinnamon powder, juice extracted from 2 lemons and 1 and ½ teaspoons of raw unfiltered honey.
- Mix them thoroughly and add a cup of warm water to it.
- Now, close the lid of jar and shake it properly so that everything gets mixed well.
- Then, whenever required you can take 2 tablespoons of this mix directly into the mouth and continue gargling.
- Regular usage can help you to get rid of bad breath and bacteria responsible for that.
Method 2: Mint
Mint has antifungal and antibacterial qualities that prevent bacterial growth in the mouth. It has strong odour which suppresses the bad breath and provide fresh feeling inside the mouth. Baking soda is acidic in nature which balances the pH levels of the mouth and helps in teeth whitening.
- ½ cup distilled water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 drops tea tree oil
- 2 drops peppermint oil
How to use?
- Take a jar and pour ½ cup distilled water, 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 2-3 drops of tea tree oil and peppermint oil to it.
- Mix thoroughly to combine all the substances.
- Whenever you have bad odour you can take 2-3 teaspoons of this mixture into your mouth and gargle.
- Continue doing for 1-2 minutes. For best results you can repeat them regularly.
- Take 2 cups of water and start boiling it. Then, add 1 tablespoon of mint leaves to the boiled water and steep for 1 -2 hours. Afterwards you can strain the mixture and use it as mouthwash on regular basis.
- Take some fresh mint and rosemary leaves and steep inside the water for about 24 hours. Strain the liquid and use this for gargling purpose to get rid of bad breath.
Method 3: Lemon and Honey
Lemon has anti-bacterial quality that destroys the bacteria and prevents its growth. The highly acidic nature of lemon balances the pH level of mouth and avoids bad breath. It is also responsible for whitening your teeth and providing fresh breath.
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 cup water
How to use?
- Take a bowl filled with 1 cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and honey to it.
- Mix it thoroughly and store it for future help.
- While using it you can take 2-3 teaspoons of this mixture and wash your mouth.
- You can repeat this method for effective results.
- Take a vessel with 3 oz of water and add 12 drops of lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of fresh aloevera gel to it. You can store it a glass bottle and shake it every time before usage.
Method 4: Parsley
Parsley has a very strong flavour, which acts as deodorizer and enhances good breath. It consists of chlorophyll which acts as antibacterial substance to prevent the bacterial growth and destroy the present bacteria. Cloves are the traditional method used in treating oral related problems.
- Small amount of parsley
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 cups water
How to use?
- Take a container and add freshly chopped parsley along with cloves and 2 cups of water.
- Boil this mixture for few minutes and then remove it from the flame.
- Allow it to cool down for some time and strain the liquid into a glass bottle.
- Use this mixture as mouthwash everyday to obtain good results.
- For easy method you can simply take few parsley leaves and chew them to get rid of bad breath.
Method 5: Apple Cider Vinegar
The antibacterial property of apple cider vinegar destroys bacteria and the acidic quality of ACV prevents the further growth of bacteria in the mouth. Thus, it avoids the bad breath and promotes good breath inside the mouth.
- 2 teaspoons raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 8-10 ounces of warm water
How to use?
- Take a glass jar and pour warm water along with the ACV into it.
- Mix it well and pour this liquid into a jar for storage purpose.
- For better results you can use it regularly.
Method 6: Fenugreek
Fenugreek has various medicinal properties that prevent the bacterial growth in the mouth and washes away the bad breath. Thus, it helps in inducing fresh breath in the mouth.
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup of water
How to use?
- Take a cup of water into a bowl and start boiling for 2 minutes.
- Then, add a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and continue boiling for a minute or two.
- Strain down the tea and consume it to get rid of bad breath.
Method 7: Cardamom
Cardamom is one of the traditional foods that are preferred after meals. Cardamom has good aroma that kills away the bad odour causing bacteria. Thus, cardamom can be used for fresh breath.
- 1 or 2 cardamom
How to use?
- Take the cardamom and peel the green layer to remove the seeds within and chew them to extract the juice from that.
- You can carry 2-3 cardamom along with you whenever you go outside.
Method 8: Aloevera
Aloevera has lots of benefits to health. It has antifungal and antibacterial properties in it, which destroys the bacteria and prevents bad breath.
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon aloevera gel
How to use?
- Take a bowl and add 1 cup of water and start boiling.
- Now, to this you can add aloevera gel and continue to boil for 2 minutes.
- Allow this to cool and add peppermint oil for taste.
Some more easy methods to get rid of bad breath:
Apart from the above mentioned methods there are few more techniques to get rid of bad breath easily. These methods you can follow anywhere and anytime easily for quick relief.
- Fennel seeds have good aroma and taste so, chewing some fennel seeds regularly can help you to get rid of bad breath.
- Guava has various benefits for oral problems so; you can eat this fruit anytime and have fresh breath.
- Salt water gargling is one of the easiest way to kill bacteria causing bad odour in the mouth.
- Drinking 4-5 cups of green tea per day can act as deodorizer and remove the malodour from the mouth.
Tips and precautions to avoid bad breath:
- Brushing regularly can help to stay away from bad odour of the mouth. So, brush thoroughly under the tongue and in between the teeth.
- Do not use any commercial mouthwashes as they may contain highly acidic substances which are harmful for teeth.
- Rinse your mouth after meals. Do not go for brushing immediately after your meals, you can just take some water and wash thoroughly.
- Drink water on regular basis as dryness in the mouth may cause bacterial growth leading to bad odour in the mouth.
- Avoid consumption of bread, sugar, rice, etc. which are rich in carbohydrates. These foods cause bad breath and are very hard to break down by the body.
- Citrus fruits produce the saliva in the mouth and saliva maintains the pH level and avoids growth of bacteria in the mouth.
- It is recommended to change your tooth brush after every 2- 3 months.
- Be careful during the gargling and spit out all the liquid from the mouth. Do not swallow it as it contains bacteria and causes health problems.
- These homemade mouthy washes have very less life time. So, do not store them for more than 2 weeks.
- If you are using essential oils as your remedy then, you should consult your dentist before beginning to use.
- If you did not find any help by following these methods then it is better to consult dentist and check for complete oral care.
Frequently asked questions:
1. Can consumption of zinc help to overcome bad breath?
Zinc is an important mineral required by the body to fight against germs and bacteria. So, zinc deficiency in the body can be the major reason for bad breath.
2. Is coconut oil beneficial for treating bad breath?
Coconut oil is one of the oldest methods used for oral treatment. It has capacity to provide benefits against gum problems, bad breath, tooth ache etc.
3. Which vitamins are helpful in getting rid of malodour from mouth?
Vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E and vitamin B produces saliva in the mouth and maintains pH level. These vitamins are effective in flushing out the toxins from the body.
4. Can milk cause bad breath?
Some people are allergic towards milk and their body cannot break down the sugars present in the dietary products. Thus, it may lead to bloating, gas and bad breath.
5. Is bad breath a sign of illness?
Bad breath can sometimes be caused due to oral surgery, tooth removal, gum disease, tooth decay etc. But sometimes it may also be the reason of tonsils, because bacteria grows and covers tonsils to cause bad odour in the mouth.
Bad breath can be very embarrassing so, it is needful to get rid of it quickly. All the methods mentioned above are proved to be best and effective for getting rid of bacterial infections.
If you have any doubts please write to us in the comment section below. Our team of experts will clarify them as soon as possible.
Leave a Reply