Cough – a most common natural defense action done to clear the mucous or other irritants in the upper air passage. It can be due to viral infection, flu, cold, smoking, allergies, respiratory problems, etc.
A dry cough – a type of cough that doesn’t produce any mucous or phlegm and makes your throat dry and irritated along with damaging the tissues.
It is mainly caused due to viral infection, lung ailments, inflammation, allergens, inhalation of smoke, sore throat, dust and other irritants.
Fever, chest pain, dry and itchy throat, irritation, exhaustion, shortness of breath, etc. are some of the symptoms of a dry or a hacking cough. Tickling at the back of your throat can also result in dry coughing.
A dry cough can be cured easily with natural home remedies. So, just give a trial to these natural remedies at home to get long lasting relief from a dry cough without any side effects.
Home Remedies for Dry Cough:
Listed below are the best dry cough remedies which you have to follow them regularly till you get complete relief from a dry cough and its symptoms.
Remedy – 1: (Honey)
Honey has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties which help to clear out the mucus and soothes your throat to relieve you from a painful cough. It has antioxidant and antimicrobial properties that clear all upper respiratory problems.
- Add 2 teaspoons of raw honey in 1 cup of warm milk.
- Stir well and consume this milk at night before going to bed to get rid of chest pain and dry cough.
- Regular intake of this milk will definitely help you in clearing your cough.
- Also, consume 1 teaspoon of honey 2 – 3 times daily (or) add some raw honey and fresh lemon juice in 1 glass of warm water and drink it.
- Or drink a glass of grape juice by adding raw honey in it.
Remedy – 2: (Turmeric)
Turmeric has curcumin, which exhibits antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that used to get rid of coughing caused due to viral infection or allergies.
- Add 1 teaspoon each of turmeric powder and carom seeds in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Boil it for few minutes till it reduced to half of its quantity.
- Then add some raw honey in it and take it thrice a day.
- Continue doing this process daily till you get complete relief from a cough.
- Or mix some turmeric in warm milk and drink it.
- Also, mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric in hot water and use it to gargle.
- Or simply mix 1 teaspoon each of honey and turmeric powder. Consume it to get rid of coughing.
Remedy – 3: (Ginger)
Ginger acts as a natural analgesic that relieves your pain and cough. it soothes your scratchiness and irritation caused by a sore throat with its anti-inflammatory property.
- Cut 3–inch piece of ginger into slices and crush them thoroughly.
- Add this paste to 1 cup of water and boil it for few minutes.
- Allow it to cool for another few minutes and drink it for 3 – 4 times a day.
- Repeat it regularly to clear your dry cough and its symptoms.
- Also, chew few ginger slices (by sprinkling some salt) throughout the day (or) rub your chest with ginger oil.
- Or mix 1 teaspoon each of basil leaves paste and ginger paste. Extract its juice and add 3 teaspoons of honey. Stir well and have it 3 times a day till your cough persists.
- Alternatively, mix cayenne pepper and ginger powder in a bowl. Then pour 1 spoon each of raw honey and apple cider vinegar and mix to make a paste by adding 2 – 3 spoons of water. Consume few times daily.
Remedy – 4: (Garlic)
Garlic contains an active ingredient called allicin, which exhibits antiviral and antimicrobial properties that boost up the immune system to fight against the infections causing your dry cough.
- Boil 1 glass of water and add few garlic cloves in it.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of oregano in it and stir well.
- Let it cool and then add some raw honey in it.
- Consume this mix for twice daily till you get relief from dry cough.
Remedy – 5: (Gargle with Salt Water)
Gargling with salt water treats your sore throat through osmosis and thus moisture your throat to prevent a dry cough. It removes irritants and thin down the mucus.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt in 8 oz of warm water.
- Stir well and use it to gargle for about 30 – 45 seconds.
- Spit it out to clear the infection and rinse your mouth with normal water.
- Repeat it twice daily (morning and evening) to get relief from the problem.
Remedy – 6: (Steam)
Steam is an effective to get rid of cold and cough. It loosens the phlegm and mucous effectively from your upper respiratory system and thus improves your condition. Adding essential oils will be an added advantage to cure your cough.
- Pour hot water in a bowl and add 3 drops of tea tree oil and few drops of eucalyptus oil in it.
- Lean over the bowl and inhale the steam by covering your head with a towel.
- Inhale the steam for 5 – 10 minutes for 2 – 3 times daily.
Remedy – 7: (Marshmallow Root)
Marshmallow root is an effective remedy for dry cough. It has anti-inflammatory property that relieves your pain, irritation and inflammation. It protects your mucus membrane tissue and thus prevents it from further damage.
- Steep few dried marshmallow leaves in 1 cup of hot water for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Strain it and drink the tea to get rid of pain.
- Regular intake of marshmallow tea for thrice daily will cure your dry cough problem.
Remedy – 8: (Oregano)
Oregano acts as an expectorant that helps to get rid of mucous and clears your airways. For treating your dry cough, you need to use perennial herb of oregano called marjoram.
- Place some oregano in a pan filled with 1 cup of water.
- Boil it for few minutes and filter it.
- Drink it daily to improve your health condition and soothe your throat.
Remedy – 9: (Thyme)
Thyme acts as an expectorant that soothes the throat, eliminates mucus and phlegm and relieves you from dry cough. You can use either dried or fresh thyme for treating your cough.
- Place thyme in a mug and pour hot water over it.
- Steep it for about 10 minutes and drink it by adding some honey.
- Drink this thyme tea for several times daily till you recovered from a dry cough.
Note: Or use powdered aniseed (or) flaxseed (or) cinnamon powder (or) black pepper (or) powdered slippery elm bark instead of thyme for making and drinking tea.
Remedy – 10: (Raw Onion)
Onions help to block the compounds that trigger cough and thus relieves you from painful sore throat.
Blend one onion and extract its juice in a bowl.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of organic honey and stir well.
- Keep it aside for 4 – 5 hours and consume 1 teaspoon of this cough syrup for twice a day.
- Regular intake of this cough syrup will help to prevent dry cough and sore throat.
Tips and Precautions:
- Intake of throat lozenges will treat the irritation and soothes your sore throat to prevent coughing.
- Almonds give an effective relief from dry cough. Soak 7 almonds in water for overnight, peel it and crush the almonds to make a paste. Then add 2 tablespoons of butter and sugar in it. Stir well and consume it in morning and evening to clear cough.
- Drinking plenty of water (prefer lukewarm water), soups and herbal teas will calm down the irritated areas and gives you a relief from persistent coughing. Also taking a hot shower treats cough.
- Elevate your head while sleeping to act as an enabler for cough, which in turn reduce coughing and helps you for a better night time sleep.
- Apply vaporubs on the throat and chest to get relief from cough and to have a sound sleep.
- Use of other natural remedies like jaggery, cumin seeds, mint leaves, basil leaves, etc. will prevent your dry coughing.
- Make sure to consult your doctor if your cough lasts for longer than a week after using over the counter medications and cough syrups, as if it left untreated then it results in many underlying health problems.
- It’s recommended to cover your nose and mouth while coughing or sneezing to prevent the spread of virus to others.
Remember to wash your hands thoroughly with mild soap and warm water, especially before eating.
- Avoid eating cold or frozen foods (or) overeating at night before bedtime (or) consuming fried foods (or) carbonated or caffeinated beverages, etc. for getting quick relief from cough.
- Quit smoking, as dry cough will increase due to the smoke. Here you should not acts as an active or passive smoker to cure your dry cough.
- Suck some natural mint candies to stop a dry cough, as the mouth releases saliva and thus it lubricates the throat and the air passage.
- Even carrots are helpful in treating dry cough. Just drink a glass of fresh carrot juice by adding some honey in it. Have it twice daily.
- Use humidifier to add moisture to the dry air which in turn helps you to get relief from dry cough.
- Raisins also eliminates the dry cough and soothes your throat. Consume a handful of raisins daily.
Hope you liked the article and will give a trial to these remedies for dry cough. Feel free to share your experience or queries with us in the comments box.
Leave a Reply