A cough is a frustrating and uncomfortable health problem which is caused due to any viral or bacterial infections, cold, asthma, dust or environmental irritants, smoking, lung cancer, tuberculosis, etc. It exhibits certain symptoms like a persistent cough, headache, pain, itchy or a sore throat, congestion, etc.
A cough is a body’s way of expelling an irritant in the upper respiratory airways or throat and it can affect people in two ways – dry cough and wet cough. Dry cough can be caused due to allergens, bacteria, dust and other irritants. Wet cough is caused when the mucous or phlegm is developed in the throat.
However, most people start crying while they chop an onion but do you know the strong vapors that emit from an onion will help you to stop coughing. So, instead of taking over the counter cough syrups, just give a trial to this natural home remedy for treating your cough.
Don’t you believe it? Then have a look on these amazing onion properties to know how it works for treating cough.
- It is rich in sulfur compounds that exhibit anti-bacterial property to cure a cough causing microbes. The sulfur acts as a powerful detox element that helps the body to release toxins (especially from the liver).
- It strengthens the immune system by working as natural antibiotics and expectorants to loosen up the mucous causing cough.
- It has an anti-inflammatory property that reduces the pain or inflammation caused due to a persistent cough.
- It acts as a perfect cough suppressant and gives you relief from coughing and its symptoms.
How to use Onions for Cough:
Here we listed 3 best and effective methods of using onions for treating your cough. All you need is to follow them regularly without any interruption.
Method – 1: (Onion with Honey)
Both onion and honey have antibacterial and antiviral properties that fight against the microbes causing cough. Honey has a great soothing and moisturizing property that relieves you from both dry and wet cough.
Steps to be followed…
- Slice 2 medium size onions evenly and place it on the base of the jar.
- Then pour 1 cup of raw honey over the onion slices.
- Cover the jar with its tight lid and keep it aside for 9 hours or overnight.
- Now open up the jar and consume 1 teaspoon of this syrup to get relief from a cough.
- Repeat it regularly for 3 – 4 times a day until you get relief from coughing and its symptoms.
- Or dice a large onion into small pieces and extract its juice using a food mill or metal sieve with a spoon over a large bowl and mix equal part of honey to onion juice. Store it in a jar with tight lid for few hours and then swallow 1 teaspoon of this cough syrup to alleviate coughing.
- Or slice 1 medium onion into 1/4-inch pieces and separate the pieces. Arrange these pieces at the bottom of a glass jar and cover it with an equal layer of sugar. Stir gently and leave for overnight. Give 1 teaspoon of this children cough syrup to your child till they get relief from coughing.
- Or else layer the onion pieces and sugar (or honey) till 3 layers for more concentrated syrup.
Method – 2: (Onion Broth)
Onion detoxifies the body and removes all the things causing cough in the body. This broth is very effective in reducing cough and its symptoms.
Steps to be followed…
- Chop 1 large onion into quarter size pieces.
- Put the pieces in a pot and add 2 cups of water in it.
- Place it on the high heat and bring it to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat to medium-low or simmer it for about 15 minutes.
- Now remove the pot from heat and let it cool for few minutes.
- Strain the broth and discard the onion pieces.
- Drink this onion broth throughout the day to get relief from the congestion and mucous causing cough.
- Regular intake will definitely help you to get rid of a cough and its symptoms.
Method – 3: (Onion Cough Syrup with Honey and Garlic)
All these ingredients have a natural antimicrobial property that clears the microbes causing cough. Honey acts as a demulcent that relaxes the cough reflex and soothes your throat.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1/2 cup each of honey and water in a bowl.
- Stir well and add 1 whole chopped onion, 1 chopped garlic clove and a dash of sage, oregano or thyme in it.
- Mix it and allow it to steep for overnight and strain it in the morning.
- Now use this liquid as your cough syrup and store the remaining in a refrigerator for future use.
- Continue the intake of this cough syrup regularly till you get complete relief from coughing.
Tips and Precautions:
- If you didn’t get any relief from coughing within 2 – 3 weeks and also suffering from fever, chills, fatigue then it’s time to consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment as per your health problem.
- Slice an onion and place it on the bottom of each foot and secure it with a sock. Leave it on for overnight to get rid of a cough with its sulfur and quercetin content.
- Another folk remedy is cut an onion into quarters and place it on a plate. Leave it at your bedside, so that the strong vapor will absorb the illness and gives relief from coughing. It helps to clear a cough to all people of all age groups.
- Also, you can pour the sliced onions in a muslin bag or tea towel and tie it off. Hang it on your headboard while sleeping. Do the same for 3 – 4 days to get rid of a cough.
- Coughing dries your throat and causes irritations. So to ease your cough, you need to drink plenty of water and other fluids like juices, herbal teas, etc.
Try these onion remedies to get relief from a cough. Do you know any other effective onion methods for coughing? Then share it with us.