Tongue blisters are painful sores that are formed due to an injury like scalding the tongue (while eating too hot or acidic foods) accidentally. These sores cause burning sensation and may be in white or yellow surrounded by a reddened area of the tongue. The blisters will interrupt the activities in which tongue involves and makes the sufferer difficult to eat or drink or speak.
Other reasons that contribute to the tongue blisters include canker sores (or mouth ulcers), burning tongue syndrome, food allergies, enlarged papillae, oral cancer, certain medical problems, smoking, use of chemical based mouthwashes, sudden tongue biting with your teeth, hormonal imbalance, consuming fatty foods, deficiency of vitamin B, viral infections, certain medications, mouth injuries, poor dental work, etc.
They last for about 7 – 10 days and disappear itself. If not, it’s time to consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment accordingly. Meanwhile, follow some natural remedies at home, which help you to alleviate the pain and irritation caused due to tongue blisters.
Home Remedies for Tongue Blisters:
Listed below are the best and effective remedies which promote faster healing and thereby relieves you from pain and discomfort.
Remedy – 1: (Ice)
We all know that ice has a cooling, numbing and soothing effect on the applied area of the skin. Application of ice on tongue blisters will give immediate relief from the pain, reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Rub an ice cube directly on the tongue blister till it becomes numb.
- Or hold ice cube or ice chips directly on the blisters for few seconds.
- Also, take few sips of ice cold water at regular intervals till you get relief from pain.
Remedy – 2: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda has antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which prevent infection, reduce swelling and pain. It is very effective in treating tongue blisters caused by canker sores. It restores the pH balance and keeps your mouth fresh.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and swish your mouth for few minutes.
- After that, spit it out completely.
- Also, apply a paste (prepared by mixing 1 teaspoon of baking soda with a little water) on blisters and rinse off with lukewarm water after few minutes.
- Repeat it regularly till you get complete relief from tongue blisters.
Remedy – 3: (Salt)
Salt is very effective in reducing pain and inflammation caused due to tongue blisters. It also fights against the bacteria and prevents infection.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of lukewarm water.
- Stir well and use it to swish your mouth for at least 30 seconds.
- After that, spit it out completely and place a pinch of salt directly on your tongue blisters.
- Wait for a minute and rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Continue doing the process for 3 – 4 times daily till your blisters are cured completely.
Remedy – 4: (Turmeric)
Turmeric has curcumin which exhibits antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that relieve you from tongue blisters.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Stir well to make a fine paste and apply it on the blisters using your clean fingers.
- Let it sit for at least 3 minutes and wash it off with warm water.
- Do the same for 3 – 4 times daily to get rid of the blisters on your tongue.
Note: Mix a glass of warm milk with 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Drink it once daily to enhance your immunity and promote faster healing.
Remedy – 5: (Hydrogen Peroxide)
Hydrogen peroxide has strong disinfectant and antibacterial properties that kill the bacteria and cure the tongue blisters.
- Mix equal quantities of 3% hydrogen peroxide and warm water.
- Apply this mixture directly on the blisters by using a cotton swab.
- Let it sit for 2 – 3 minutes and rinse it off with warm water.
- Initially, start with a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to check if the application is causing any discomfort.
- Repeat the process regularly till you get rid of tongue blister.
Note: You can use hydrogen peroxide containing mouthwashes to clear tongue blisters.
Remedy – 6: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera has natural healing and antibacterial properties that treat tongue blisters effectively. It soothes the irritated tongue, reduces pain and inflammation caused by tongue blisters.
- Cut an aloe vera leaf and extract its gel.
- Apply the aloe gel on the blisters and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Rinse off the application with lukewarm water.
- Continue the process several times a day until the tongue blisters get clear.
Remedy – 7: (Coriander)
Coriander has strong antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which effectively treat pain and irritation caused by tongue blisters.
- Add 1 teaspoon of coriander leaves or seeds in 1 cup of water.
- Boil it for few minutes and strain the solution into a glass.
- Use this solution to rinse your mouth.
- Repeat it for 3 – 4 times daily until you get relief.
Remedy – 8: (Basil)
Basil is an excellent herb that effectively treats tongue blisters with its antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It not only speeds up the healing process but also reduces pain and inflammation.
- Take few basil leaves and rinse them properly.
- Chew these leaves thoroughly and swallow them.
- Finally, sip some water.
- Follow this process twice in a day.
Remedy – 9: (Essential Oils)
Clove oil has antibacterial, antiseptic and pain relieving properties which provide relief from tongue sores.
- Mix 4 – 5 drops of clove essential oil, 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and few drops of warm water.
- Dab this mix on the tongue blisters using a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for few minutes to get rid of burning sensation and to speed up the healing process.
Note: You can also apply peppermint oil or garlic oil or vitamin E oil or witch hazel or antiseptic mouthwash directly on the tongue blister using a cotton swab to get rid of the problem.
Tips and Precautions:
- Tea tree oil has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that make it as an effective treatment for tongue blisters. Pour few drops of tea tree oil in 1 cup of warm water and use it as your mouthwash for twice daily.
- Vitamin B deficiency will also cause tongue blisters. So, include vitamin B rich foods like eggs, salmon, avocados, liver, dairy products, oats, bran, bananas, turkey in your diet or take vitamin B supplements.
- Avoid consuming spicy, acidic and citrus foods which will increase your discomfort.
- Don’t scratch the blisters with your teeth, as it prolongs the healing period.
- Always stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and soothing fruit juices. Consume cool foods such as juices, ice creams, etc to reduce your pain and discomfort.
- For best results, brush your teeth regularly and use mouthwash to remove bacteria and other irritants. It’s good to maintain proper oral hygiene while you’re suffering from tongue blisters.
- Consume easy to chew soft foods (include ginger and garlic), have plenty of health drinks and reduce your intake of tea or coffee (as hot drinks will increase your problem) till you cleared blisters on your tongue.
- Choose the best toothpaste which is not containing sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and also a soft bristle toothbrush to prevent tongue blisters now.
- If you’re suffering from blisters on your tongue for more than 2 weeks then it’s time to consult your doctor immediately to ascertain the cause and get treatment accordingly.
- For children, apply some organic honey on the blisters to decrease the pain and irritation.
- Consume or apply yogurt on the affected areas for few minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water to get rid of the tongue blisters.
- Mix some honey in freshly crushed alum powder (or glycerin) and apply this on the tongue sores for few minutes.
- Include papaya, apple, green banana, etc. in the daily diet to get an excellent relief from tongue sores.
Try these natural remedies to get relief from tongue blisters. Let me know which method works well in treating your blisters or sores on your tongue by sharing your experience with us.
Leave a Reply