Do you suffer from upset stomach, nausea and diarrhea? Then it can be stomach flu.
Stomach flu (or gastroenteritis) is an infection in your gastrointestinal tract that caused due to the contract of a viral infection. The most common viruses that cause this stomach flu are rotavirus (norovirus), astrovirus, adenovirus, and caliciviruses.
It is a highly contagious and can be spread to direct contact or consuming something that contaminated (food or drinks) with the virus. It generally lasts for 2 – 5 days but in severe cases, it may take up to 10 days.
Upset stomach, watery diarrhea, headaches, mild fever, stomach cramping, body aches, vomiting, body chills and fatigue are some of the symptoms experienced by the people suffering from stomach flu.
It can be treated on its own, as there is no cure for stomach flu but to get control over its symptoms, you have to take proper rest and drink plenty of water. Also, rather than using over the counter medications, you can some natural home remedies to get relief from stomach flu.
Home Remedies for Stomach Flu:
Here are the best natural remedies that help to alleviate the signs and symptoms till the illness runs on the course. Let’s get started.
Remedy – 1: (Ginger)
Ginger has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that fight against the virus and relieves you from the pain and inflammation in your intestinal tract. Gingerols and shagoals in ginger will protect the inner lining of your stomach and gives you relief from the stomach flu with proper digestion.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of freshly sliced ginger in 1 ½ cups of hot water.
- Cover it and let it steep for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add few drops of fresh lemon juice and honey in it.
- Stir well and drink it for few times daily till you get relief from stomach flu.
- Or chew small pieces of fresh ginger for several times a day.
- Avoid using ginger for stomach flu, if you’re suffering from high blood pressure.
Remedy – 2: (Chamomile)
Chamomile is an effective stomach healing herb that has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to heal your intestine by clearing the virus. It is also effective in treating diarrhea, bloating, nausea or abdominal cramping.
- Add 2 – 3 teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers in 1 cup of hot water.
- Stir well and cover it.
- Allow it to steep for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Strain and add few drops of lemon juice and honey to it.
- Drink this herbal tea for 3 – 4 times daily till you get relief from the stomach flu.
Remedy – 3: (Garlic)
Garlic has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that prevent the bacterial action and soothes the stomach lining to get rid of this flu. It also brings you relief from indigestion, cramping, and diarrhea.
- Add 1 teaspoon of freshly chopped garlic with enough raw honey.
- Stir well and consume it immediately at once.
- Do the same process for 2 – 3 times daily to speed up your recovery from stomach flu.
Note: Include garlic in your daily diet.
Remedy – 4: (Cinnamon)
Cinnamon has antibacterial and antiviral properties that kill virus or bacteria in your stomach causing the flu. It has an anti-inflammatory property that gives relief from pains and cramps. It has warm nature that heals aches and chills which in turn makes you more comfortable.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder with 1 ½ cups of boiling water and brew it for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Strain it and add 1 teaspoon of honey to it.
- Stir well and drink this cinnamon tea for 3 – 4 times daily for 2 – 3 days to get rid of the problem.
Note: Or mix 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 1 tablespoon of raw honey in 1 glass of warm water. Stir well and drink it for 3 times daily.
Remedy – 5: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has antiviral, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that fight against the bacteria or virus causing this flu. It contains pectin that soothes an irritated stomach and also relieves you from nausea, body aches, and diarrhea.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of organic ACV and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and drink it every few hours till you get relief from the problem.
Note: Or mix 1 teaspoon of ACV in any fruit or vegetable juices or smoothies and drink it before meals to clear stomach flu symptoms.
Remedy – 6: (Probiotics)
Good bacteria are essential for protecting your intestine and to fight against the stomach flu. It has live cultures that strengthen your immune system and aids in proper digestion to get rid of diarrhea, cramps, and fever.
- Consume 2 – 3 cups of probiotic yogurt regularly till you get rid of the problem.
- Also, mix few banana slices to your yogurt (or) make a smoothie by mixing yogurt, apple, banana, and honey. Drink this smoothie for 2 – 3 times daily to recover your situation.
Remedy – 7: (Rice Water)
Rice water is an excellent remedy for stomach ache and diarrhea. It is a bland food that soothes your stomach lining and alleviates pain with its demulcent properties.
- Pour 1/2 cup of white rice and 6 cups of water in a pan.
- Cook it till the rice is tender and strain it.
- Let the water cool down and then add 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon powder and raw honey.
- Stir well and sip the warm rice water slowly for every hour till you get relief from the problem.
Remedy – 8: (Banana)
Banana has rich content of magnesium and potassium that provide proper electrolyte balance in the body, including the stomach. You can use both ripe and raw banana for treating stomach flu.
- Finely mash 1 ripe banana and add a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon of tamarind pulp to it.
- Consume this twice daily till you get relief from the problem.
- Also, consume 1 – 2 ripe bananas regularly to restore your digestive health.
- Or have a raw banana soup as a bland food to relieve your body from the effect of stomach flu.
Tips and Precautions:
- Consult your doctor immediately if you’re observing blood in vomiting or in your stool, high fever, confused or mental imbalance, lethargy, etc. for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Peppermint has carminative and antispasmodic properties that relieve you from intestinal cramps, gas and bloating. Drink peppermint tea for 2 – 3 times daily (or) take its supplements by consulting your doctor.
- Lemon has an acidic effect that kills pathogens causing stomach flu. It has rich content of vitamin C and antimicrobial properties that boost immunity and clears flu. Simply mix 1 – 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice in 1 glass of water. Drink this 30 minutes before every meal.
- Drink plenty of water, herbal teas, fruit or vegetable juices, clear broths, suck on ice chips, soups, and other clear fluids to stay hydrated and to prevent dehydration.
- Avoid the intake of caffeine and alcohol that causes dehydration along with nausea.
- Consume BRAT (Banana, White Rice, Applesauce and Dry Toast) which is an easily digestible diet that regulates stomach acids and aids in proper digestion to settle your stomach.
- Get plenty of rest to your body which in turn helps to strengthen your immune system by providing essential energy to fight against the illness.
- Avoid greasy, spicy, fast and fatty foods along with dairy products for not to make the problem worse.
- Always make sure to rinse your hands thoroughly with soap and lukewarm water, particularly before cooking food and after using your restroom.
- Avoid sharing your personal hygiene items or getting close contact with the people who have the stomach flu.
Try these natural remedies and tips to treat your stomach flu. Do you know any other natural remedies for treating stomach flu? Then share it with us in the below comments section.
Leave a Reply