Does spider veins make you feel uncertain and conscious? A recent study shows that 50-55% of the people in U.S. are suffering from spider veins. Before going through the remedies, it is very important to understand what spider veins are and how to they occur?
Spider veins appear when the veins below the skin swell and cause red, blue or purple twisted lines that are visible above the skin. This is mainly due to weak and damaged veins and is also known as telangiectasis.
However, poor blood circulation, sitting or standing for long time period, stress, medications, obese, tight clothes etc. are also responsible for spider veins problem.
They look like spider web or tree branch that is usually associated with the swelling and itching in the affected skin. They mostly affect legs, hands, cheeks, nose and chin.
Though spider veins are not harmful but in several cases they cause pain along with restless legs and rashes on the body. If left untreated spider veins can become larger and cause severe health issue like bleeding, ulcers etc.
There are lot of surgeries and creams available for treatment of spider veins but we prefer using home remedies that are effective and low cost too. Spider veins can be treated easily by following the below mentioned home remedies along with some exercise and diet.
Top 7 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Spider Veins:
In this section we have mentioned few of the easy methods to follow and get relief from spider veins:
Remedy 1: Ginger:
Ginger has beneficial properties that thins the blood and lowers the blood pressure simultaneously. During spider veins problems the heart pumping rate becomes slow because of the swollen veins. So, if the blood is thinned then, the pumping will be easier.
Ginger lowers down the blood pressure and it reduces the appearance of spider veins. It breaks up the blood protein called as fibrin which is accumulated in the injured veins. Thus, ginger is highly useful in treatment of spider veins.
- 1 inch of ginger
- 2-3 cups of water
How to use?
- Take an inch of ginger root and chop it into slices.
- On the other side take a bowl with 2 cups of water in it and start boiling.
- Then, add the ginger slices and continue boiling for about 10-15 minutes.
- After that turn off the heat and strain the liquid into a glass.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of honey and stir well.
- Regular consumption of this drink will help you to get rid of this problem.
- For best results you can consume it 2 times a day.
- You can chew ginger slices directly or include ginger in your daily diet to reduce the spider veins. Eating ginger ale is also helpful in reducing the pain and swelling of spider veins.
- If you are already consuming blood pressure tablets or blood thinners then, it is always safer to consult your doctor before taking ginger.
Remedy 2: Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar helps in improving the blood circulation in the body. The anti-inflammatory property of apple cider vinegar reduces the inflammation of the veins and avoids the feeling of heaviness. Thus, it reduces the pain and provides relief against spider veins.
- 3-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
How to use?
- Take a bowl and pour 3-4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into it.
- Now, take a piece of clean cloth and soak it inside the vinegar solution.
- Then, place this cloth on the affected area by removing the excess amount of vinegar from cloth.
- Rub it slightly and leave the cloth on the spider veins area.
- After 20-30 minutes you can remove the piece of cloth.
- For best results you can repeat it 2 times per day.
- Take a glass of water and add a tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar to it.
- If needed you can mix a teaspoon of honey and consume it.
- This increases the blood flow and decreases the swelling of the veins.
Remedy 3: Horse chestnut:
Horse chestnut contains 15% -20% of the aescin chemical that improves the blood circulation. Thus, it helps in reducing the swelling of the veins and decreases the pain associated with it. So, horse chestnut is best to get rid of itching, tiredness and swelling of the spider veins.
- 8-10 tablespoons of witch hazel
- 1 tablespoon horse chestnut extract
How to use?
- Take a bowl and add 8-10 tablespoons of distilled witch hazel along with a tablespoon of horse chestnut extract.
- Mix them thoroughly and apply it on the affected area.
- Allow it to stay there for about 10-15 minutes and wash it off later.
- You can use it regularly and get rid of spider veins.
- Horse chestnut seed gel can be directly applied on the spider veins and cure the problem of spider veins.
- Do not consume horse chestnut extracts without consulting your doctor because every person has different health and some are allergic to it.
- If you are pregnant women, nursing women or consuming medicines regularly then, try to avoid taking horse chestnut.
Remedy 4: Cayenne pepper:
Cayenne pepper has high amount of vitamin C and bioflavonoid that improves the blood circulation in the body. It has a compound called capsaicin that relieves pain and reduces the swelling of the veins.
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup hot water
How to use?
- Take a cup of hot water and add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to it.
- Stir it well and consume it to get rid of spider veins.
- For effective results you can consume it twice a day.
- You can also include cayenne pepper in your diet or consume its supplements by consulting your doctor. Applying creams or gel with capsaicin is also helpful to get rid of spider veins.
- If you are pregnant or nursing women then, do not consume cayenne pepper in any form.
Remedy 5: Witch hazel:
The presence of several compounds in the witch hazel provides strength to the blood vessels and it reduces the spider veins. Witch hazel has natural astringent property, which reduces the inflammation and swelling of the veins. It also reduces the pain and helps in reducing the spider veins permanently.
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ cup of witch hazel leaves
How to use?
- Take a large bowl and fill it with 1 cup of hot water.
- Add ½ cup of witch hazel leaves to it and allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool down and reach normal temperature.
- Apply this liquid on the affected veins using cotton balls and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Afterwards wipe it using a clean cloth.
- For best results you can repeat the procedure two times per day.
- You can directly apply witch hazel extract to the spider veins and leave it untouched. Wipe off after 15-20 minutes.
- Take a container and add 1 tablespoon of vitamin E oil and ½ tablespoon of witch hazel. Mix it well and apply it on the affected area by massaging gently across the veins. Later, leave it for 10-15 minutes and afterwards you can wash using cold water.
Remedy 6: Butcher’s broom:
Butcher’s broom contains a compound called as ruscogenin, which reduces the inflammation of the veins and relieves pain. It also tightens the veins and provides strength in the body. The other elements present in the butcher’s broom improve the blood circulation and helps in treatment of spider veins.
Consume 100 mg butcher’s broom supplements twice a day with proper meal.
If you are suffering from blood pressure problem or any other health related issues then, do not consume it without consulting doctor.
Remedy 7: Parsley:
Parsley is rich in compound rutin and vitamin C that provides strength to the veins and improves blood circulation in the body. It also helps in reducing the pain, swelling and other symptoms of spider veins.
- 1 cup of water
- Handful of chopped parsley
- 1 drop rose and marigold essential oils
How to use?
- Take a bowl and pour 1 cup of water to it.
- Start boiling by adding chopped parsley to it.
- Once, it is boiled turn off the heat and strain the liquid.
- Then, allow it to cool down and later add a drop of each rose and marigold essential oils.
- For cooling you can refrigerate the mixture.
- Then, dab a cotton ball into it and apply the mixture on the affected area.
- Leave it for about 10-15 minutes and later you can wipe it off.
- You can repeat the same process continuously for several months till you get away from spider veins.
Let’s bring some changes in day-to-day activity:
Massaging will improve the blood circulation in the body and reduces the inflammation and pain of the spider veins. For massaging take some oil and warm it for few minutes. It is recommended to use coconut oil because of its anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Massage on the affected area using this warm oil for about 10-15 minutes and get rid of spider veins. You can also use olive oil or mustard oil for massaging.
Regular exercising increases the body stamina and improves blood circulation in the body. It provides strength to the veins and reduces the discomforts associated with spider veins. You can start with walking, jogging, climbing stairs etc.
Elevation increases the blood flow in the legs and provides relaxation to the veins. Just keep a pillow below the affected area and sleep for 15-20 minutes without changing the position.
- Compression stockings:
Using compression stockings is one of the best remedy to get relief from spider veins. They are available in knee-high, thigh high and waist-high lengths. It improves blood circulation when used daily and also reduces the swelling and pain of the affected area.
Diet plan for getting relief from spider veins:
Along with various home remedies and exercises it is important to follow a regular diet plan that provides strength to the veins and improves the blood circulation in the body.
- Consume more amount of water, juices, herbal teas and other fluids to improve the blood circulation.
- Reduce the intake of salt or follow some low salt diet for maintaining healthy veins.
- Increase the intake of spicy food including garlic, pepper, cayenne pepper etc. to break down the fibrin and reduce spider veins.
- Increase the intake of foods with high amount of fiber such as flax seeds, berries, carrots, beans, oats etc. to prevent the constipation problem that triggers spider veins.
- You can consume ginkgo biloba to provide strength to the veins and improve the blood circulation throughout the body. Consume 40 mg of ginkgo supplements and get relief from spider veins.
- Improve the consumption of anti-oxidants such as red beans, green tea, prunes, apple, spinach, cabbage etc. for the proper maintenance of veins.
- To improve the blood circulation, collagen and elastin in the body it is very important to consume foods that are rich in vitamin B, C and E. You can eat fruits like oranges, guava, pineapple, grapes, peppers, nuts, green vegetables, etc. that makes veins strong and flexible.
Tips and precautions to get rid of spider veins:
- Do not stand or sit in the same position for long hours as it may reduce the blood circulation in that area and leads to spider veins. Crossing of the legs is also not recommended as it is not the right posture of sitting.
- If you have overweight or you are obese then, reduce your weight by proper diet and healthy exercises. This will automatically solve the problem of spider veins.
- You can also apply arnica cream or gel on your spider veins because it protects against the swelling, pain and other problems of the spider veins.
- It is very important to apply sunscreen while going out in the sun. The harmful UV radiations of the sun damage the skin and veins leading to several problems.
- Do not wear the clothes that are too tight on your body. Avoid wearing girdles, tight pantyhose, tight jeans etc.
- Heavy consumption of alcohol and smoking are another reason for spider veins. So to get rid of spider veins you can quit smoking and reduce consumption of alcohol.
- If you don’t find any relief after using these techniques then, it is better to consult your doctor for proper treatment and diagnosis.
- If the spider veins are painful, highly swollen and warm to touch then, it is safer to consult doctor and obtain the proper treatment.
- Try to wear comfortable foot wear and avoid using heels, pointed heels etc. to get relief from spider veins.
Frequently asked questions:
Are spider veins permanent?
No, spider veins are not permanent there are various different methods of treatments available for spider veins. There are various surgeries, injections, creams and also home remedies to get rid of them.
Can spider veins heal themself?
Once, the problem of spider veins has occurred the veins will become weak and lose the ability of self healing. So, if they are left untreated then, it spreads and veins become larger.
Are spider veins and varicose veins same?
Though spider veins and varicose are both the problems related to veins. But spider veins are small purple or red blood vessels that are seen below the skin and caused due to damaged or week veins. Whereas varicose veins are large, swollen blood vessels that are turn and twisted that are developed in the legs. Varicose veins are caused due to the muscle contraction in the body.
Are spider veins genetic?
Yes when it comes to problem related to veins then, most of the times it is genetic. A study and medical proof proves that spider veins are a genetic problem.
Do spider veins occur during pregnancy?
During pregnancy the body gets swollen and more pressure in applied on the legs. So, chances are higher that spider veins occur during pregnancy but they automatically disappear after baby birth.
In this article we have mentioned various methods to get rid of spider veins. So, if you are suffering from spider veins then, you can follow these methods regularly and get rid of spider veins.
If you have used any of the methods mentioned above then, kindly share your views on that.
If you have any queries please write to us in the comment section below. Our team will clarify them as soon as possible.