Sebaceous Cyst (keratin or epidermoid cyst) are small, non-cancerous protuberance on the skin. It is just like a bump that develops underneath the skin with a size that varies from 1/4 inch to 2 inches. It is caused due to the blockage of the sebaceous gland by a keratin protein.
In some cases, the cysts will smell pungent due to the yellow oily liquid inside the cyst. It can appear in any part of the body but most commonly on the head, back, face, breast, etc. Although, there are not harmful to the skin but emerges as a result of the swollen hair follicle.
Causes of Sebaceous Cyst:
These are caused by several abnormalities in the body that includes…
- Blockage of oil or sebaceous glands
- Increased production of sebum on the skin
- Swollen or damaged hair follicles
- Excessive production of testosterone in males
- Overexposure to sun’s harmful UV rays
- Skin trauma
- Waxing or shaving
- Person with a history of acne
One who is suffering from sebaceous cyst will experience certain symptoms like redness of the skin, skin soreness, foul smelling cheesy material develops in cysts, the infected area becomes warm, a cyst develops in 1/4 to 2 inches in diameter, non-painful bump arises under the skin, etc.
Are you one among those people who are suffering from this sebaceous cyst? Draining the liquid out of the cyst or lancing are some ways to get rid of this sebaceous cyst but it will increase the risk of spreading the infection.
Don’t worry, there are many natural remedies that help you in dealing with how to get rid of this sebaceous cyst on the skin. In this article, we will discuss some best ways to treat sebaceous cyst naturally at home without any side effects.
Home Remedies for Sebaceous Cyst:
Here is the list of some best natural remedies that definitely help you to get rid of this cyst at home by easing your skin ailments in a natural manner.
Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Warm Compress)
Applying a warm compress on the affected area will help to speed up the healing process by improving the blood circulation. The hot compression will facilitate the drain of pus or thick liquid from the cyst.
- Take a clean washcloth and dip it in hot water.
- Wring to remove excess water and place it over the cyst.
- Let it sit for about 5 – 10 minutes till the cloth cools down.
- Repeat the same process for 3 – 4 times daily until you get relief from this cyst.
Note: or simply place a heating pad instead of using a hot compress on the affected area for few minutes. Repeat it regularly until you get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) contains acetic acid that helps to clear the bacterial infection and also used in sclerotherapy for treating cyst. It balances the pH levels of the skin and thereby relieves the itching or other discomforts caused by the sebaceous cyst.
- Apply some raw, unfiltered ACV directly all over the cyst.
- Cover the area with a bandage and leave it for that whole day.
- Change the bandage daily for a week until a hard layer appears over the cyst.
- Then remove this layer from the skin gently to drain out the pus or other contents of the cysts.
- Finally, clean the area with the help of dry washcloth.
- Regular application will make you observe the growth of new skin within 3 – 4 days.
Remedy – 3: (Castor Oil)
Castor oil works well in treating this keratin cyst will not only heals this inflamed cyst but also helps to reduce the itching along with moisturizing the skin. This process will help you to treat the cyst if it appears on the face or back of the skin.
- Simply soak a piece of clean cloth in a bowl filled with castor oil.
- Place it directly on the infected cyst and then place a hot water bag (as compress) on the cloth.
- This process will help to cure the cyst easily by shrinking the size of the cyst effectively.
- Regular follow – up will give best results of curing the sebaceous cyst.
Note: Or simply add a pinch of baking soda in some castor oil and stir well. Applying this paste to the cyst will dissolve the cyst why because the fatty acid content is easily absorbed by the skin.
Remedy – 4: (Honey)
Honey exhibits various therapeutic properties that help to heal sebaceous cyst. It acts as a natural antibiotic, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to soothe the irritated skin.
Here are few ways of using honey for treating sebaceous cyst.
- Take some banana and wheatgrass in a blender by adding some honey. Stir well and apply this paste on the cyst affected areas at night before bedtime. Leave it for overweight and repeat the same process regularly until you get complete relief from the cysts.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder in 3 tablespoons of raw honey till it forms a fine paste. Apply it all over the cyst and leave it on for a few minutes until it dries naturally. Repeat the same process for once or twice daily until you get relief from this cyst.
- Stir egg white separated from an egg in 1 tablespoon of raw honey. Mix and slather it on the affected areas. Leave it for few minutes until it dries naturally and then rinse the area with water.
Remedy – 5: (Turmeric)
As a natural healing agent, turmeric helps to break the cyst and heals the affected area to come into the normal state. It exhibits natural antibiotic, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to clear the keloid cyst along with relieving your irritation.
Here are few ways of using turmeric for treating sebaceous cyst.
- Stir 1/2 tablespoon of organic turmeric powder in 1 cup of water and boil it for few minutes. Turn off the heat and let it cool for few minutes. Drink this turmeric water in every night before bedtime to get relief from the sebaceous cyst.
- Stir 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with enough fresh mint juice to make a fine paste. Spread this paste over the cyst and let it sit for about 15 – 20 minutes. Rinse off with water and repeat the same process for once daily until you get rid of the problem.
- Simply prepare a paste by mixing raw honey, organic turmeric powder and water and apply it to the affected areas of the skin. Rinse off after few minutes to cure this sebaceous cyst.
- Mix fresh lemon juice, some honey, and turmeric powder in a bowl to make a fine paste. Apply it on the skin and wait for a few minutes to rinse off the skin.
Note: Or simply make turmeric as a poultice to get rid of the irritation caused due to the cyst.
Remedy – 6: (Colloidal Silver)
Colloidal silver exhibits antibiotic and anti-inflammatory herb that helps to stimulate the lymphatic flow and thereby stop the infection from spreading. It helps to improve the functioning of immune system and thereby heals sebaceous cyst.
You can either apply the colloidal silver directly over the cyst or use an ointment that has colloidal silver to get quick relief from the cysts. Regular application will give the best results.
Remedy – 7: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil exhibits antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to heal various skin problems. It effectively reduces the occurrence of sebaceous cyst by simply regulating the overproduction of sebum.
- Mix 1 part of tea tree oil in 9 parts of any carrier oil (or water) and stir well.
- Apply this mix on the affected areas by using a cotton ball.
- Leave it for few minutes to get dried naturally.
- Finally, rinse the area with warm water and repeat the same process for once daily.
Note: Or simply apply a few drops of tea tree oil directly over the cyst and then cover the area with a bandage.
Remedy – 8: (Aloe Vera)
The phenolic compounds in aloe vera exhibit antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to soothe and heal the irritated skin and clears sebaceous cyst.
- Take out the fresh aloe vera gel from an aloe vera leaf.
- Apply it directly to the cyst affected area.
- Leave it to dry naturally for a few minutes to overnight.
- After that, rinse off with water and continue this process for several times daily till the cyst goes completely.
- Or simply drink aloe vera juice regularly to enhance your immune system and to get rid of cyst quickly.
- Also, use other antiseptic herbs like guava leaves (boil in water and use it to rinse the area), Echinacea tea, lime paste (lime powder mixed with water), etc. will help to clear the problem.
Remedy – 9: (Witch Hazel)
Witch hazel has the astringent property that helps a lot in healing the sebaceous cyst by regulating the sebum production in the body. The leaves and barks of witch hazel are rich in tannins that shrink the open pores and tightens the skin to prevent sebum production.
- Take some bark or leaves of witch hazel and grind it to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the cyst affected areas and leave it for a few minutes to get dry.
- After that, rinse the area with lukewarm water and continue doing the same process for once daily until you get relief from the keloid cyst.
Note: Or simply apply witch hazel containing creams or gels over the sebaceous cyst for twice daily till the infection is removed completely.
Remedy – 10: (Milk Thistle)
Milk thistle is an effective remedy in cleansing the body and thereby preventing the formation of toxins in the body. It contains silymarin flavonoid that possesses antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help to heal the problem.
You can simply consume this milk thistle in the form of tea or capsules for once daily until you get rid of sebaceous cysts. Make sure that pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid taking this milk thistle without consulting their doctor.
Remedy – 11: (Sandalwood and Rose Water)
Sandalwood powder helps to soothe the skin and clear the infection with its antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Rose water will accelerate the healing process. So, this combination is effective in treating various skin problems, including sebaceous cyst.
- Pour enough rose water in 1 tablespoon of sandalwood powder.
- Stir well to make a fine paste and apply it on the cyst affected areas.
- Leave it for few minutes to get dry naturally and rinse the area with cold water.
- Pat dry the skin and continue doing the same process for 3 – 4 times daily to get quick relief from the cyst.
Note: Potato is also an effective remedy for soothing the skin just like sandalwood paste. So, apply potato juice or its thick slice on the affected area for few minutes.
Tips and Precautions:
- Avoid popping or squeezing a sebaceous cyst, as it causes pain and increases the risk of getting an infection.
- Application of potassium iodide directly to the cyst regularly will help to heal the skin and its infection quickly with its anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and disinfectant properties.
- Make a poultice by placing boiled cabbage leaves over the cyst and cover it with a clean, dry washcloth will help to get relief from the keloid cyst.
- Usage of clay tablets over the cyst will help to remove the impurities and other harmful toxins from the skin and clear the skin.
- Tea bags exhibit anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Simply soak a tea bag in some milk and apply it over the cyst in every night till the cyst reduced in its size and discomforts.
- Bee pollen act as a natural blood purifier which in turn strengthens the immune system and works well in treating various skin problems like acne, pimples or sebaceous cyst. Simply consume 1 – 2 tablespoons of bee pollen or take its pills to get faster healing from these cysts.
- Regular application of antifungal creams directly on the cyst and covering with a bandage will work well in curing this sebaceous cyst along with reducing the pain, irritation, and itching.
- The usage of black bloodroot salve will help to draw out the toxins from the skin’s surface. So, apply some drawing salve on the cyst and cover the area with a clean bandage. Remove the bandage after 2 days. Do it till you get rid of the cyst on the skin.
- Blood purification is essential to maintain healthy skin. So, consume some natural herbs like barberry, yellow dock, red clover, dandelion, and garlic as a part of your diet.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy diet to flush out the toxins and to stimulate your lymphatic flow to boost your immunity.
- Drain out your cyst naturally but don’t puncture or scratch or squeeze it to clear the pus from the cyst.
- Consult your doctor if you’re getting pain or didn’t get any relief from the problem for proper diagnose and treatment to clear this cyst.
- If unfortunately, the cyst got ruptured then make sure to maintain it as clean and hygienic as possible or else there will be a collection of pus called abscess to form on the ruptured area and result in large cysts.
- The intake of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) bath by adding 1/2 cup of Epsom salt in a bathtub filled with warm water and taking bath will help you to subside the pain, reduce inflammation and flush out the harmful toxins from the body.
- Avoid overexposure to the sun, as it not only darkens your skin but also results in various skin problems that include sebaceous cyst.
- Lessen the intake of salty, spicy, alcoholic, carbonated and caffeinated beverages in your diet, as they increase the risk of getting breast cysts, which are painful and irritating.
- Always use hygienic blades and waxing for clearing your hair on the skin and also use oil-free skin care products.
- Keep the skin dry and hygienic and also rinse your hands before and after treating cyst to prevent the spread of infection.
When you suffer from sebaceous cyst then try these natural home remedies instead of over the counter or cosmetic treatments to get relief from the problem without any side effects.
Do you know any other successful remedies for a sebaceous cyst? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.