9 out of 10 people who are suffering from kidney stones are unable to pass it naturally. So, finding an easy method to get rid of it?
Kidney stones pain is unbearable and everyone wants to get rid of it.
They have become common and are occurring in any person irrespective of the age and gender. But a study says that males are more likely to get kidney stones because the female hormone has ability to prevent their formation.
Kidney stones can occur genetically too. Yes of course, it is due to the calcium present in the urine but a person can get it, if any of his family members are suffering from kidney stone attack.
Improper food, unhealthy lifestyle, smoking, heavy consumption of alcohol etc. are also the causes of kidney stones.
A person with kidney stones may experience intolerable pain in the abdomen and back, vomiting sensation, mild fever etc.
However, there are various surgeries present to remove the kidney stones but it is recommended to pass the stone naturally through urine. So that, it won’t occur repeatedly and few home remedies can provide long term benefits to kidneys.
There are few home remedies that are mentioned below, which are tested and proved to be safe. So, you can follow any of the method and get rid of kidney stones from the roots.
Top 11 easy home remedies to pass the kidney stone easily:
In this article we have mentioned some of the best and easiest home remedies for kidney stones. Let us go through them in detail:
Method 1: (Lemon Juice and olive oil):
Lemon juice is rich in citric acid, which reduces the chances of development of calcium stones. Citric acid reduces the amount of acid in the urine and thus it minimises the occurrence of kidney stones. It is also capable of breaking the kidney stones and dissolves in the urine.
Olive oil is one of the healthiest and thickest oil that works as lubricant, which allows easy passage of stones from the kidneys.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Take a glass and add lemon juice and olive oil into it.
- Now, mix them properly and consume the drink.
- It is recommended to drink water after consuming this liquid.
- For better results you can drink it 2-3 times per day.
- Morning on an empty stomach
- Late afternoon after the lunch
- Night while sleeping
Direct consumption of lemon juice mixed with water and a teaspoon of honey is effective in getting rid of the kidney stones.
Take a glass and add 12 ounces of purified water, lemon of ½ lemon and 1 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar. Now, mix it well and drink it after 30 minutes of consumption of lemon and olive oil mixture.
These methods are suitable to use during the initial stages of kidney stones.
Once your kidney stones grow larger in size then it becomes difficult for passing them.
Lemons can affect your tooth enamel and may lead to ulcers, heartburn etc.
Method 2: (Apple cider vinegar)
The citric acid present in the ACV softens the kidney stones, breaks them and dissolves in urine and passes away easily. It plays major role in removing all the toxins and excessive amount of minerals present in the body that are responsible for kidney stones.
ACV provides alkalizing effect on the blood and urine that improves the hydrochloric acid in the body and minimizes the risk of kidney stones.
- 2 tablespoons organic ACV
- 6-8 ounces water
- Take a glass filled with 6 ounces of water and then add 2 tablespoons of organic and unfiltered ACV.
- Now, mix it thoroughly and consume it before your lunch.
- You can repeat consuming this until your kidney stones are cleared.
Mix 2 tablespoons of ACV and 1 teaspoon of raw honey into 1 cup of water. You can consume it several times a day to get rid of kidney stones.
Including ACV in your regular food is also beneficial.
Take a pan and add 3-4 tablespoons of ACV and same amount of water and start heating.
Once the mixture is hot, dip a cloth into it and allow it to soak down completely.
Now, take it away and keep it on the painful abdominal or back area, which helps in getting rid of pain from kidney stones.
Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic in nature and can be responsible in damaging the tissues and tooth enamel. So, try to consume it in a diluted form.
If you are a person with diabetes or B.P. problem then, do not try using this.
Method 3: (Pomegranate)
Pomegranate is a fruit with lots of fluid and it plays major role in moving the toxins throughout the body. Thus, it reduces the chance of accumulating of toxins in the body. In this way kidney stones pass through the kidney easily.
It also minimises the acid level in the urine and thus, reduces the chances of development of kidney stones.
How to use?
You can directly eat the pomegranate or drink the fresh juice or you can consume it mixing with some other fruits.
Take 2 teaspoons of pomegranate seeds and add some water and blend it. Now, add this paste into the horse gram soup and drink it.
Method 4: (Basil)
Basil is rich in acetic acid that breaks down the kidney stones and allows it to pass through urine easily. It also acts as diuretic and detoxifier, which helps in flushing out the kidney stones. The anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties present in basil leaves are responsible for maintaining good kidneys.
It also reduces the pain and acidic level of urine in the blood and prevents growth of kidney stones.
- 10-15 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Take 10-15 basil leaves and crush them to extract the juice from it.
- Now add 1 teaspoon of honey to the extracted juice and mix it thoroughly.
- Consume it daily in the morning till your kidney stones are completely cleared.
You can simply chew the basil leaves to get rid of kidney stones.
Take 1 cup of warm water and add 5-6 basil leaves into it. Allow it to steep for 10 minutes and drain the tea and consume it.
Wheat grass juice is rich in amino acids, nutrition etc. and it acts as diuretic to increase the urine flow and pass the kidney stones easily.
Take a glass filled with wheatgrass juice, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of basil leaves juice. Now, mix it properly and consume this liquid regularly to get rid of kidney stones.
Don’t use basil regularly for more than 5-6 weeks as it may lead to low blood sugar level, low B.P., etc.
Method 5: (Kidney beans)
Kidney beans which look alike the kidneys are effective in treating kidney stones. They are rich in fiber, minerals and vitamin B, which help in cleaning the kidney and provide strength to the urinary tract.
- Half cup kidney beans
- 1 and half cup of purified water
- Take 1 and half cup of water and add half a cup of kidney beans into it.
- Now, start boiling it on a medium flame for about 30 minutes.
- Afterwards, drain it into a glass and drink it.
- For best results you can drink it twice a day.
- Including kidney beans in your daily diet is also beneficial.
Method 6: (Celery)
Celery increases the urine production and flushes away all the toxins from the body thus, prevents development of kidney stones. It has a special pain relieving property that reduces the pain caused due to kidney stones. Celery also acts as diuretic and increases the amount of urine production in the body. This allows easy passing away of the kidney stones.
How to use?
- Take 1 or 2 stalks of celery and blend them properly with water.
- Now, consume this juice throughout the day.
- You can also put the celery seeds in the warm water and allow them to steep for 10 minutes. Then, drain the tea and consume in to get rid of kidney stones.
It is not recommended for the person having problem related to any bleeding disorder and low B.P.
Method 7: (Nettle leaf)
Nettle leaf acts as detoxifier and blood purifier to remove all the impurities such as bacteria, calcium and kidney stones from the kidney. It acts as a diuretic and increases the production of urine and flushes out the kidney stones.
- 2 teaspoons dried nettle leaf
- 1 cup hot water
- Take 1 cup of hot water and mix 2 teaspoons of dried nettle leaf into it.
- Allow it to steep for about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain all the liquid and consume it 2-3 times per day.
- Regular consumption will help to clear the kidney stones.
Method 8: (Dandelion root)
Dandelion root stimulates the production of bile, which helps to eliminate the waste from the body. They are rich in vitamins A, B, C, D, potassium, iron etc. that are necessary for maintaining proper function kidneys.
- 1 teaspoon dandelion root powder
- 1 cup of hot water
- Take 1 cup of hot water and add dandelion root powder to it.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Drain the tea and consume it twice a day.
- If needed you can add ginger to it.
Do not drink this tea if you are consuming some blood thinners, antibiotics etc.
Method 9: (Watermelon Juice)
Watermelon is rich in potassium, which reduces the urine acidity and prevents formation of kidney stones. The diuretic property of the watermelon increases the production of urine and thus, pushes out all the toxins present in the body including kidney stones.
- 1 freshly chopped watermelon
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ cup water
- Take freshly chopped watermelon and remove the seeds.
- Now, take a jar and add watermelon pieces and ½ cup of water to it.
- Blend the mixture till a thick juice is formed
- Now, add 1/4 teaspoon of coriander powder into it.
- Consume it two times a day.
Method 10: (Dates)
Dates have high amount of fiber that prevents the development of kidney stones. They are high in magnesium, which cleans the kidneys and removes the kidney stones.
Consumption of dates helps you to get rid of kidney stones and other toxins present in kidney.
Method 11: (Parsley tea)
Parsley are beneficial in treating kidney stones as, it increases the amount of urine and flushes away the kidney stones easily.
- 1 cup hot water
- Freshly chopped parsley leaves
- Take a cup of hot water and add freshly chopped parsley into it.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Drink this tea regularly till your free of kidney stones.
Some important tips and precautions to cure kidney stones quickly:
- Increase the amount of water intake, in turn it increases the urine production and flushes away the stones. You can also consume the fruits and vegetable those are rich in water content such as cucumber, melons, etc.
- Consume more amount of citric acid as it prevents the formation of kidney stones and stops them from growing larger.
- Reduce the consumption of oxalates as they bind calcium and other minerals present in the body and forms a crystal structure called stones.
- Decrease the amount of sodium intake, as it may increase the calcium amount in the urine and forms stones.
- Consume more amount of magnesium food, which cleans the kidneys and helps you to get rid of kidney stones.
- Including the vegetable protein like green peas, chia seeds, spirulina, beans, hummus etc. in our diet prevents formation of kidney stones.
- Uva ursi is also beneficial in treating kidney stones and reduce the pain in the kidney. You can consume 500 mg for 3 times per day.
- The whole grain rich foods like bread, cereals, pasta etc. are helpful in reducing kidney stones because they have fiber, nutrients, magnesium and protein within.
- Consult your doctor immediately if you don’t find any relief from these home remedies.
- Do not delay in passing the urine, as it can be the cause of kidney stone.
- Do not follow any kind of home remedy if you are a pregnant woman, nursing woman or planning for baby.
Kidney stones cause severe pain and one wants to get rid of them as soon as possible. These stones care be removed easily following the remedies mention above. All the methods are tested and proved to be safe. So, you can use any method according to your convenience.
If you know any other method then, please share it the comment box.
Have you ever experienced kidney stone? Which method did you opt? What was the result?
Kindly write down to us in the comment section below.
Frequently asked questions:
1. Can kidney stones come back?
Kidney stones are formed by accumulation of waste in the kidney which often leads to pain. If it is untreated without knowing the cause there are lot of chances that kidney stones may come back.
2. Can i drink cranberry juice to overcome kidney stones?
No, cranberry is rich in oxalates so, consumption of this may lead to severe problem associated with kidney.
3. How long will it need to pass a kidney stone?
It depends on the size of the stone, sometimes it may pass in few days or sometimes it may take weeks together.
4. How should i check whether i have a kidney stone?
You can go for ultra sound where you can check the presence of kidney stones clearly and most of the doctors recommend taking a ultrasound before starting with the prescription.
5. Can spinach cause kidney stone?
Spinach has high amount of oxalates and if it is consumed more than, it may lead to kidney stone.
6. How big kidney stone can pass through the urine?
Kidney stones may vary in sizes from ¼ inches to several cm. If your kidney stone is in the range of ¼ inch to 5 mm then, it can easily pass through the urine.
7. Will it pain while passing the kidney stone?
Yes, you may experience the pain in the urethra while passing the kidney stone and this pain may remain for few days.
Leave a Reply