Are you suffering from a throbbing or a sharp toothache? Then it might be a tooth abscess and it makes you unable to concentrate on your daily things till it get cured completely.
What is Tooth Abscess?
A tooth abscess is a dental infection that occurs at the root of a tooth or in between the teeth and gums. The main cause of this infection is the bacteria (or foreign substances) that enter into the tooth through weak enamel, chip or cracked teeth, dental cavities, gum diseases, tooth decay, poor oral hygiene, etc. will increase the risk of getting this problem.
Throbbing pain, hot or cold sensitivity to the teeth, swelling and redness of gums, bad breath, etc. can be experienced by those who are suffering from this problem.
Is it treatable at Home?
The tooth pain is unbearable which makes you unable to ignore it. However, neglecting this tooth abscess will result in life threatening problems. So, make sure to consult your dentist to get rid of this infection completely or else it infection will attack again, as an abscess left untreated or not treated properly will lead to complications. The only way we can treat at home is to reduce the pain and prevent the infection.
Are there any Natural Remedies to Treat?
There are some natural remedies for treating abscess tooth, which you can use them as an adjunct treatment for removing the infection and alleviate the symptoms like pain, swelling, and redness. These natural remedies help you to prevent the usage of over the counter (OTC) pain relievers and antibiotics.
In this article, we are going to know about an amazing ancient remedy called garlic for treating tooth abscess. Let’s get started.
Why Garlic and How Does it Works for Tooth Abscess?
Garlic belongs to allium family that provides dual – faceted treatment which aids at preserving the tooth, relieves pain and eliminate the infection with its antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It contains a unique combination of sulfur – containing nutrients and flavonoids that help to heal the swelling and inflammation caused due to this infection.
- The Allicin is a sulfur-containing amino acid in garlic that makes it as an effective natural antibiotic that clears the infection causing bacteria.
- Remember that bacteria unable to build up any resistance to garlic (unlike OTC antibiotics – develop), even though if it used frequently.
- It also exhibits antibacterial, antiseptic, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce the infection, prevent it from spreading and relieves you from pain and swelling.
- For best results, always use fresh and raw garlic clove. The allin content will be produced when garlic is cut or crushed.
- It works as a natural anesthetic that numb the affected area and reduces the sensation of pain and swelling to make you get faster relief from tooth pain.
How to use Garlic for Tooth Abscess:
Here are some best ways to use garlic for clearing the tooth abscess. You can use it alone or mixed with other ingredients to get rid of abscess tooth.
Method – 1: (Garlic)
Garlic clove (when chopped or crushed) produces allicin to clear the infection and to provide instant relief from the pain and swelling. Chewing garlic clove will help to strengthen the immunity to prevent the bacteria thrive into the mouth.
- Take a fresh clove of garlic and peel of its skin.
- Place it on the infected teeth and crush it gently to release its juice.
- Continue it for few minutes to get rid of the abscess and spit out the garlic clove.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water and do it 2 – 3 times daily.
- To get rid of bad breath (or garlic smell), you can rinse your mouth with warm water mixed with few drops of peppermint or clove oil in it.
Method – 2: (Garlic Mouthwash)
Rinsing your mouth with garlic will help to prevent the spread of infection and reduces the pain and redness. Make sure to take a small mouthful, swish around the area and spit it out.
Here are few ways of using garlic as your mouthwash for treating abscess tooth.
- Take 4 – 6 garlic cloves and crush it finely. Mix this crushed cloves in 1 cup of hot water and keep it aside until lukewarm. Then use it solution as your mouthwash – swish and spit it out. Repeat it several times daily.
- Oregano oil has antibacterial and antioxidant properties that fight the infection. Mix 10 drops each of garlic oil and oregano essential oil in 1 glass of warm water. Use it as your mouthwash and swish it for 7 minutes. Do it once in the morning and once at night before bedtime.
- Hydrogen peroxide is a natural disinfectant that kills bacteria and prevents the spread of infection. Mix 2 teaspoons of 3 % peroxide (food grade) and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder in 1 cup of lukewarm water. Use it to rinse your mouth and continue it for 3 – 4 times a week.
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV) balances the pH of the mouth to create an uncomfortable environment to the bacteria causing the infection. Mix 1 tablespoon each of fresh garlic juice and ACV in 1 glass of lukewarm water. Stir well and swish this mix in the mouth for several minutes and spit out. Do it 2 – 3 times daily.
Method – 3: (Garlic – Topical Application)
Topical application of garlic on the affected tooth will spread the healing process along with relieving you from the pain and swelling.
Here are some ways of applying garlic topically for treating tooth abscess.
- Salt exhibits antibacterial and antiseptic properties that clear the infection and prevent its spread. Simply crush 2 – 4 cloves of garlic (or garlic powder) and sprinkle some salt over it. Stir and apply this mix on the infected tooth. Wait for 10 – 15 minutes and rinse off with salt water. Continue it for twice daily.
- Peanut butter has resveratol (natural antibiotic) that clears the bacteria and enhance faster healing. Crush 2 – 4 cloves of garlic and mix it with 1 teaspoon of peanut butter. Apply it on the abscess affected tooth. Let it sit for several minutes and rinse your mouth with salt water. Repeat 2 – 3 times daily till the infection heals completely.
- Curcumin in turmeric provides antibiotic, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that speed up the healing process. Stir 1 teaspoon each of freshly crushed garlic cloves and turmeric powder in a bowl. Mix well by adding some water and apply this paste on the infected area after brushing your teeth. Rinse your mouth with warm water after 20 minutes. Do it once in every morning.
Method – 4: (Garlic Soak)
Soaking the infection tooth with garlic will help you to clear the abscessed tooth along with preventing its spread and relieving the pain.
Here are some ways of using garlic soak for abscess tooth.
- If you don’t have fresh garlic clove then use garlic powder. Slightly moisten the q-tip and dip it into the garlic powder. Place it directly on the abscessed tooth and wait for few minutes till the pain has subsided. Finally, rinse your mouth with warm salt water.
- Dip a cotton swab in garlic essential oil and place it directly on the infected tooth area for 2 – 3 times daily till the infection cleared completely.
- Clove has antibacterial, antiseptic and analgesic properties that relieve your infection. Mix 1 tablespoon each of fresh garlic juice and clove oil. Stir well and soak a cotton ball in it. Place the ball on the affected area for 10 minutes and then discard the ball. Continue doing it several times daily.
- Peppermint has antibacterial properties that prevent the spread of infection and clears bacteria. Crush a handful of peppermint leaves to extract its juice and then stir 1 tablespoon of fresh garlic juice. Soak a cotton ball and hold this ball on the infected tooth for 10 minutes. rinse off with lukewarm water after 30 minutes.
Tips and Suggestions:
- However, garlic treats this abscessed tooth but make sure to consult your dentist to get complete relief from the infection, as abscess left untreated or if not treated properly then it results in many complications.
- It also causes some side effects like bad breath, upset stomach, burning sensation, etc. So, avoid the over intake of garlic.
- Internal intake of garlic will help you in dealing with infection and inflammation. So, include garlic in your daily diet like adding 4 – 5 cloves of crushed garlic in 1 cup of yogurt and have it daily.
- It has blood thinning property so, people who are going for any surgical procedure should avoid the intake of garlic for treating abscess tooth.
- Follow proper oral hygiene like brushing your teeth for twice daily, floss it once daily, use antimicrobial mouthwash, change the toothbrush for every 2 – 3 months, get a visit to your dentist for every 6 months, use a soft bristled brush to clean the teeth and tongue, etc.
- Quit smoking and avoid chewing tobacco to maintain proper oral care.
- Drink plenty of water and healthy food by avoiding sugars, carbohydrates, and sticky foods.
Garlic helps a lot in treating the infection, prevent its spread and alleviating the symptoms but you should visit your doctor for a complete cure. Try these natural garlic remedies and share your experience with us in the below comments box.