A dry or a sore throat is usually caused by an inflammation of the pharynx, a tube that extends to the back of the mouth to the esophagus tube that leads to the stomach. There are several reasons causing this discomfort and pain in the throat.
The causes include lack hydration (water intake), excessive talking, certain health problems (like sore throat, infected throat), sleeping with an open mouth, viral infections (cold, flu, fever, runny nose or aches in the muscles), bacterial infections (infections that result in swollen glands along with headache, fever), smoking, acid reflux, difficulties in breathing, allergies, air/dust pollution, etc.
Some of the symptoms of dry throat include dry or parched throat in the morning, difficulty in swallowing, scratchy throat, the glands are swollen on the sides, etc.
The symptoms may resemble like strep infection such as body aches, headache, general fatigue, fever, etc. So, the first thing when you diagnose the symptoms of the dry throat then you have to treat it immediately to enjoy your life.
However, there are many over the counter medications available but the usage of natural effective home remedies will give relief without any side effects and that has long-lasting results.
Home Remedies for Dry Throat:
Are you suffering from dry throat and looking for natural solutions to get rid of the problem? Then here are the best home remedies that work effectively in treating your dry throat and its symptoms.
Let’s have a look at these natural home remedies for dry throat.
Remedy – 1: (Warm Water Gargle)
We all know that salt water gargle is very effective in treating throat infections and also provides relief from the dry throat. Salt has an antiseptic and antimicrobial property that helps to clear the microbial infection by restricting its growth. Salt water helps to draw out the mucus and phlegm from the throat and hydrate and moisturizes your mouth to prevent the dryness
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water and stir well.
- Use this salt water to gargle for about 30 – 60 seconds.
- Make sure to pay attention that not to swallow any water after gargle.
- Continue doing this gargling process for once or twice daily until you get relief from dry throat and to get rid of bacterial action inside the body.
Remedy – 2: (Honey)
Honey gives relief from the tickly and scratchy throat with its moisturizing and humectant properties. It contains antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that fight against the microbes and coat your throat. It is very effective and widely used to treat dry or a sore throat.
- Take 1 tablespoon of raw, organic honey and mix in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and drink this honey water to soothe your soreness due to the friction of throat walls.
- Repeat the intake of honey for twice daily will help you to get relief from the dry throat.
Note: Also, simply consume 1 teaspoon of raw honey for once or twice daily (or) the combination of honey and lemon juice in warm water (or tea) will help to soothe the dry throat.
Remedy – 3: (Garlic)
Garlic exhibits antibacterial and antiseptic properties that help to combat the infection or causes of a dry throat.
Here are a few ways of using garlic for dry throat.
- Take a fresh garlic clove and cut it in half. Place it in your mouth and start sucking it to clear the infection and to soothe the throat dryness.
- Pour a few drops of garlic oil to warm water and stir well. Then use this water to gargle for a few seconds. Repeat the process regularly until you get complete relief from a dry throat.
- Use garlic as your spice to the food which you’re cooking and consume it to reduce the dryness in the throat.
Remedy – 4: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) helps to maintain pH balance in the mouth and thereby keeps the mouth well moisturized to prevent dry throat. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that kill the bacteria causing dry throat and clears the respiratory tract to prevent throat dryness.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and drink it to get rid of throat dryness.
- Repeat the same process regularly until you get rid of the problem.
Note: Or gargle with a solution of ACV diluted water.
Remedy – 5: (Citrus Juice)
Vitamin C content in the citrus juice will exhibit the antioxidant property that boosts your immune system and thereby prevent a recurrent cough, cold, nasal blockage, and dry throat. So, include citrus fruits in your diet to prevent your throat from getting dry, especially due to cold, nasal blockages or infections.
- Squeeze the juice from the citrus fruit and add it to 1 glass of warm water.
- Drink it to get relief from the problem
- Or simply drink any citrus juice (orange is best) by adding some honey to get instant moisturize to the throat.
- Alternatively, take a lemon slice and pour some salt and pepper on it. Start licking it to ease your dry throat.
- Or else stir lemon juice in warm water and sip it slowly. If you want, add some honey to this warm lemon water and drink it.
Remedy – 6: (Slippery Elm)
Slippery elm contains a gel-like substance which helps to coat the throat and thus eases your throat soreness and dryness by soothing and moisturizing it.
- Pour 2 cups of water in a teapot and boil it for a few minutes.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of the inner bark of the slippery elm to this boiling water.
- Boil for a few minutes and strain the tea.
- Drink this warm slippery elm tea to get relief from the problem.
Note: If you want, add some honey to this warm tea before drinking.
Remedy – 7: (Sage)
Sage leaves help to get rid of many bacterial and viral infections with its antibacterial and antiviral properties. It also treats respiratory tract infections and thereby prevents dryness or itching of the throat.
- Boil some sage leaves in 1 cup of water for a couple of minutes.
- Cover and let it steep for 10 minutes and strain the tea.
- Drink this warm sage water for several times a day for getting faster relief from the dry and itchy throat.
Remedy – 8: (Turmeric Milk)
In Ayurveda, turmeric is considered as a golden spice that used to treat various skin, health and beauty problems. For treating dry throat, turmeric milk is considered as an effective remedy.
- Put a garlic clove in a pan filled with 1 cup of milk.
- Boil it for a few minutes and add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric milk to it.
- Stir well and turn off the heat.
- Let it cool for a few minutes to get warm and drink this turmeric milk to get relief from the dry throat.
Note: Also, add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to 1 glass of warm water and consume it on the empty stomach (or) if mixed turmeric powder in 1 glass of warm milk then drink it at night before going to bed regularly.
Remedy – 9: (Fenugreek Seeds)
Fenugreek seeds exhibit antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to combat the action of microbes in the body causing you dry or a sore throat.
- Place some fenugreek seeds in a saucepan and pour enough water in it.
- Boil it for a few minutes and simmer until the color turns to yellow.
- Then turn off the heat and let it cool to get warm.
- Now use this water to gargle and thereby to get relief from a dry throat.
- Regular follow – up of this gargle for twice daily will help to clear dry mouth quickly.
Note: Also, drink fenugreek water by adding fenugreek seeds in a glass of hot water.
Remedy – 10: (Black Pepper with Clarified Butter)
This is an excellent combination that used to treat dry or a sore throat. Clarified butter (ghee) has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that add moisturize to treat your dry throat. Ghee also helps to give relief from the spiciness of black pepper.
- Take a whole peppercorn and chew it thoroughly.
- After that, consume 1/2 a teaspoon of melted warm ghee to wash down the peppercorn in your throat.
- Remember that not to drink water for at least 30 minutes after following this method.
- Repeat it regularly until you get complete relief from the dry throat.
Note: Also, use a combination of pepper and cinnamon to get relief from a dry throat. Boil 1 – 2 cinnamon sticks along with pepper in the water for a few minutes. Strain it and add 2 teaspoons of honey to it. Drink it regularly.
Remedy – 11: (Basil and Honey)
This is another best remedy for soothing your dry throat. Both of these ingredients are used to treat a night cough, cold and other respiratory infections.
- Pour a few basil leaves in a pot filled with 1 cup of water.
- Boil it and then add 1 teaspoon of honey to it.
- Stir well and drink this water to get relief from the problem.
- Repeat the intake of this water to get instant relief from the dry or a sore throat.
Remedy – 12: (Licorice Tea)
Licorice tea is another remedy that helps to get rid of a dry throat. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties that give relief from a dry throat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of licorice powder in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Stir well and steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink it 2 – 3 times daily to get rid of throat dryness and its symptoms.
Remedy – 13: (Chewing Gum)
Lack of saliva in the mouth is one main reason causing dry throat. Chewing gum will help to stimulate the salivary glands and thereby increase the production of saliva in the mouth. It helps to moisturize the throat to prevent dryness.
Make sure to chew an unsweetened variety of chewing gum why because the sweet one will aggravate the dryness of the throat and causes yeast like oral thrush.
Tips and Precautions:
- Drink plenty of water, especially warm water to soothe the dry throat and also to keep it moisturized and thereby removes the discomfort and pain from the dry throat.
- Lozenges are another effective tip that helps to stimulate the saliva production and treat dry throat. However avoid the usage of hard candy, as they pose the risk of a choking hazard, if not carefully chewed.
- Steam therapy will help to moisturize your throat and decongesting it. So, boil some water and pour it in a large bowl then start inhaling the vapors of the steam by covering your head for a few minutes. Take a break and repeat the cycles until you find the water emits vapors.
- Using marshmallow root in healing tea form will help to treat dry throat by moisturizing it.
- Take enough rest by reducing your daily activities and stop using your throat too much (less or no talking) while suffering from the cold and dry throat.
- The intake of warm fluids (like warm juices, herbal teas or lukewarm water) will help to soothe the dry and irritated throat. They moisturize and hydrate your throat to prevent dryness or itching sensation. Make sure that not to drink diuretics like an alcoholic and caffeinated drinks, as they result in dehydration.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t find any relief from the dry throat and its symptoms for proper diagnose and treatment to get rid of the problem.
- Run an indoor humidifier, especially during cool months to add moisture to the air and thereby prevent the drying and irritation of the throat at night before bedtime. The usage of both cool and warm mist vaporizes will soothe and moisturizer your dry throat.
- Quit smoking and usage of tobacco products, as they irritate the throat tissues and makes you suffer from dry throat for a prolonged periods.
Are you suffering from dry throat most often along with itchy sensation in the throat? Have you tried any of the above-mentioned remedies to get relief from the problem? Do you know any other effective remedies for treating dry throat? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply