Dry mouth (xerostomia) is caused due to some changes in the composition of saliva or reduced salivary flow. Dehydration, aging, stress, smoking, hormonal changes, snoring, depression and anxiety, drinking alcohol, certain medications (antihistamines, muscle relaxants, decongestants, pain relievers, etc.), autoimmune diseases, radiation therapy, diabetes, etc. are some causes for dry mouth.
Symptoms like thick or stringy saliva, excessive thirst, loss of taste, mouth sores, rough tongue, parched feeling in the mouth, bad breath, cracked lips, difficulty in speaking, swallowing or chewing, loss of taste, mouth sores, etc. can be experienced by people suffering from dry mouth.
However dry mouth can be very irritating due to the sticky feel in the mouth but you can easily treat this problem with some natural remedies at home.
Home Remedies for Dry Mouth:
Here are some excellent natural remedies that are widely used to treat dry mouth and its symptoms. All you need is to follow these remedies along with these simple lifestyle changes to get a surefire relief from the problem.
Remedy – 1: (Increase your Fluid Intake)
Dehydration is the main culprit behind the dry mouth and to get rid of this problem, we need to drink plenty of water and increase our intake of fluids. Proper hydration will produce more saliva and thereby relieves you from dry mouth.
- Drink an ample amount of water throughout the day. Also, suck on a small piece of ice.
- Consume partly frozen chunks of water based fruits or vegetables like watermelon, pineapple, and cucumber.
- Drink 1 – 2 glasses of coconut water daily.
- Drink fruit or vegetable juices or smoothies regularly.
- Drink herbal teas like chamomile tea, green tea, etc. for 1 – 2 times daily.
- Eat soft and liquid foods like soups or stews and avoid caffeinated beverages, alcoholic drinks or sodas which result in dehydration.
Remedy – 2: (Fennel Seeds)
There are some flavonoids in fennel seeds that help to stimulate the flow of saliva for dry mouth. This also helps to combat bad bacteria with its aromatic flavor.
- Mix equal quantities of fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Dry roast them in a pan and then grind it thoroughly by adding a little salt.
- Consume 1/2 teaspoon of this mix after each meal till you get relief from dry mouth.
Note: Also, much on some fennel seeds for few times a day (particularly after meals) to treat dry mouth.
Remedy – 3: (Cayenne Pepper)
Cayenne pepper helps to enhance saliva production which in turn clears dry mouth. It also helps to bolster the taste buds that help you to distinguish sweet, sour, salty and bitter flavors.
- Place a wet finger in a little bit of ground cayenne pepper. Rub this finger around your tongue.
- This process will cause small burning sensation which in turn stimulate the salivary glands.
- Repeat the same process regularly till you get complete relief from the dry mouth.
- Or include cayenne pepper powder in your daily diet like sprinkling pepper in the salads, soups and other dishes.
- Consult your doctor before taking cayenne pepper capsules for treating your dry mouth problem.
Remedy – 4: (Slippery Elm)
The mucilage content in slippery elm makes it a slick gel when mixed with water. This will help to coat and soothe the mouth and throat. It also reduces the discomforts associated with dry mouth.
- Mix 1 – 2 tablespoons of slippery elm in 1 cup of hot water.
- Cover and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain it and add honey to it. Mix well and drink this slippery elm tea for twice daily.
Note: Mix slippery elm bark powder and water to make a paste. Apply it inside the mouth and rinse off with water after few minutes. Repeat it once or twice daily till you get relief from dry mouth.
Remedy – 5: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera protects the sensitive tissue in the mouth and thereby enhances the taste buds. It also stimulates the salivary glands to prevent dry mouth. Here are some ways of using aloe vera for dry mouth.
- Drink 1/4 cup of aloe vera juice daily.
- Rinse your mouth with aloe vera juice for several times daily.
- Apply pure aloe gel all around your mouth by using a cotton swab. Let it sit for few minutes and rinse your mouth with cold water. Repeat it 2 – 3 times daily.
Remedy – 6: (Grapeseed Oil)
Grapeseed oil helps to coat the mouth with its moisturizing property and thereby keeps it moist for a longer time. Vitamin E in this oil helps to heal any sores in the mouth and clears dry mouth.
- Rub some grapeseed oil on the tongue and other inside parts of the mouth by using your clean fingers.
- Let it on for few minutes to overnight.
- Rinse off your mouth in the next morning with warm water and brush your teeth usually.
- Repeat the same process once daily at night before bedtime.
Tips and Precautions:
- You can also use coconut oil pulling (for treating bad breath and dry mouth), chew a cardamom pod (or rinse your mouth with lukewarm cardamom tea), chew a piece of ginger (or drink ginger tea), drink lemon warm water in the morning, etc. to stimulate the salivary glands and to prevent dry mouth.
- Chew some sugar-free candies or gums to stimulate the salivary glands and thereby to prevent the problem. Choose cinnamon, mint or citrus-flavored candies for treating dry mouth.
- Limit your alcohol intake and avoid mouthwash that has alcohol content. Instead choose DIY mouthwashes by mixing 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water. Pour small sips and rinse off the mouth and repeat it for every 4 hours.
- Gargle and steam help to open up the blocked nose and airways. So, include this gargling and steaming process in your lifestyle to prevent respiratory problems and dry mouth.
- Brush and floss your teeth along with clean the tongue. Also, use fluoride-containing toothpaste and mouthwash.
- Avoid oily, spicy and processed foods, dry foods and acidic foods, which turns the pH of the body to acidic form and thus results in dry mouth.
- Consult your dentist if you’re suffering from dry mouth or any other dental problem for proper diagnose and treatment.
Try these natural ways to prevent dry mouth. Do you know any other remedies for dry mouth? Then share it with us in the below comments box.