Toner is a basic beauty skin care regimen that helps to restore the skin’s natural pH levels, absorbs excess oil, shrinks pores, protects your skin from makeup and removes dirt and dead cells to make the skin clean and clear.
It tightens and soothes the skin to make it soft and problem free. There are many cosmetic toners in the beauty world but they might contain chemicals that cause excess dryness and breakouts. This is the main thing that makes us to choose the natural homemade toner, which is safe, cost effective and gives long lasting results.
Isn’t it a good idea to prepare a homemade toner and use it daily to get rid of many skin problems? So, today we’re going to know how to prepare a natural homemade facial toner using simple ingredients.
Toner – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar is loaded with powerful enzymes, beneficial acids and nutrients that are essential for skin care. It has antimicrobial, antioxidant and antiseptic properties that deal with skin infections and makes it problem free.
It balances the natural pH of the skin, exfoliates gently to remove excess oil and dead cells and lightens scars.
- Add 1 part of organic apple cider vinegar in 2 parts of distilled water.
- Stir well and pour into a bottle with a tight lid.
- Apply it as your toner on the clean skin using a cotton pad or ball.
- Store it in a cool and dry place.
- Use it regularly after giving it a shake to mix.
Note: Or use any of these ingredients like essential oils (lavender oil), hydrosols, aloe vera, glycerin, rosehip oil, rosewater, orange oil, chopped fresh mint leaves, green tea or brewed herbal tea, etc. in the above mix and use it as a toner on your skin.
Toner – 2: (Witch Hazel with Vitamin C)
Witch hazel acts as a natural astringent agent that clears all impurities, dead cells and oil from the skin. It reduces redness, acne and skin irritation and it also locks your skin’s moisture.
Vitamin C (or ascorbic acid) has antioxidant and anti-aging properties that tighten your skin and maintain its natural pH along with providing much more skin benefits. Vitamin C breaks down over time, so make it as much as you need for a week at a time and refrigerate it.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon of natural vitamin C powder and 1/4 cup of witch hazel extract in a small bottle.
- Shake it well and apply it daily on your clean face using a cotton pad.
- Let it air dry and apply your cream or makeup.
- Or add 8 drops of lavender essential oil to the above mix.
- Alternatively, mix 1/4 teaspoon of vitamin C powder, several drops of vitamin E oil and 5 drops of essential oil in 1/2 oz of hydrosol in a dark glass bottle with a fine mister. Shake it well and use it as a toner every day.
- Also, if you have dry or sensitive skin, then replace witch hazel with food grade glycerin. Or use alcohol-free witch hazel.
- Or mix 2 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol, 1/3 cup of witch hazel and 1/4 cup of lemon juice in 1/2 cup of water in a spray bottle. Shake it well and apply it on the clean face.
- Also, mix 1 part of witch hazel and few drops of lavender oil in 4 parts of rose water. Store it in a spray bottle and use it as a toner to minimize skin pores and tightens your skin.
Toner – 3: (Vegetable Glycerin with Tea Tree Oil)
Vegetable glycerin (or glycerin) has strong humectant properties that lock the moisture in your skin. It can be easily soluble in any liquid and also draws oxygen into the skin.
Tea tree oil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that provide you with the best skin care.
- Mix 15 drops of tea tree oil and 2 teaspoons of vegetable glycerin in 1/2 cup of filtered water.
- Stir well and pour it in a bottle which has a tight lid.
- Use it as your facial toner on daily basis.
- Or mix 2 tablespoons each of vegetable glycerin and alcohol-free witch hazel in 6 ounces of freshly brewed green tea (or mint tea). Use it as your facial toner.
- Or mix 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of glycerin in 6 oz of chamomile tea. Stir well and use it as a toner.
- Also, mix 1 tablespoon of glycerin along with few drops of facial oil in 1 cup of rose water. Store it in a spray bottle and use it as a toner.
Tips and Precautions:
- Perform a skin patch test to know how your skin responds to that particular ingredient. Also, don’t afraid to experiment with the ratios to find out the best suit for your skin.
- Use rosewater or fresh lemon juice or aloe vera gel or rosewater with kombucha or a combination of essential oils with a carrier oil or neem leaves boiled in rose water as an effective natural facial toner.
- Other than applying toner, rinse your wash thoroughly for twice daily (once in the morning and once at night before bedtime).
- Toner is an essential for the people who have oily or acne prone skin. So, that it clears excess oil and impurities that result in breakouts.
- Always remember to shake the toner bottle before using to mix the content well in the bottle.
- Prepare a small amount of toner and use it for a week or 10 days. Discard the remaining toner, as it doesn’t have any preservative and might get damaged.
Are you going to try these natural facial toners? Let me know which one you liked most and how it works for you by sharing your experience with us.