Sore throat is caused by the inflammation of pharynx which is a tube that extends from back of the mouth to esophagus. Cold, flu, cough or certain illness, exposure to some irritants or dry air, some kind of allergic reactions, etc. are other causes of sore throat.
Using natural remedies is the best way to get rid of this scratchy, dry or itchy feeling in the throat. Lemon is one among those natural home remedy used effectively for treating sore throat.
Here are some of the lemon properties that cure this painful and uncomfortable problem in your throat.
- Citric acid in lemon will break up the mucus causing sore throat and it also soothes the throat from pain and inflammation.
- It has natural antiseptic properties that kill the bacteria or virus in the throat.
- Vitamin C and antioxidant property of lemon will help in boosting the immune system and clears the soreness in your throat.
- Astringent property of lemon helps to shrink the swollen throat tissue and thus create an unpleasant environment for germs.
- It increases the salivation to thin the mucus and moistens or lubricates a painful and irritated throat.
Don’t know how to use lemon for sore throat? Then follow these 3 simple but amazing lemon recipes to get rid of sore throat.
Method – 1: (Lemon Juice Gargle)
There is nothing to beat a lemon juice gargle for getting fast and effective relief from sore throat or any other respiratory problems.
Steps to be followed…
- Squeeze juice from 1/2 a lemon and dilute it in 1/2 cup of warm water.
- Stir well and use this mix to gargle for few minutes.
- Be sure to spit out the gargle mix and rinse your mouth with water.
- Or simply add 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the above lemon water and stir to use it for gargling.
- Do this gargling for 2 – 3 times daily until you cleared sore throat along with its symptoms.
Method – 2: (Lemon with Honey)
Lemon thins mucus and kills the bacteria causing sore throat, honey coats and soothes the throat tissue and hot water relaxes the throat muscles. So, this combinational process will definitely help in your sore throat prevention.
Steps to be followed…
- Extract lemon juice from 2 lemons in a cup of hot water.
- Stir it well by adding 1 teaspoon of organic honey.
- Sip this warm drink slowly to get relief from sore throat.
- Regular intake of this drink will help to cure sore throat along with other respiratory problems.
- Or simply mix lemon juice directly in some raw honey and consume it to prevent the swollen throat.
- Pour some honey in 1/2 a lemon and lick it slowly by extracting lemon juice.
- Alternatively, add 1 tablespoon of brandy or whisky in the 1/2 lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of honey in 1 cup of warm water and consume this to prevent sore throat.
- Also, mix 1 teaspoon each of honey and lemon in 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of warm water and sip it slowly for 2 – 3 times a day until you get relief from pain.
Method – 3: (Lemon – Honey Tea)
Drinking lemon tea or adding lemon in your herbal teas will help to soothe sore throat.
Steps to be followed…
- Pour I cup of hot water into a mug.
- Add 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of honey in mug.
- Stir well till all these ingredients are mixed well.
- Drink this lemon – honey tea regularly to prevent pain, cough and other discomforts caused due to sore throat.
- Or you can also add fresh lemon juice in your herbal teas like ginger tea, chamomile tea, licorice root tea, green tea, cayenne pepper tea, etc. and have it to soothe the inflamed throat.
- Or prepare a healthy sore throat tonic by placing finely sliced 2 lemons and medium sized ginger root, alternate layers in 12 oz mason jar. Then pour enough of honey till the jar gets filled and seal the jar tightly. Refrigerate it for few days and use 2 tablespoons of this mix in 1 cup of warm water, sip it to get relief from the problem.
Tips and Precautions:
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper (or mint or honey) over 1/2 a lemon piece and start licking it slowly to cure the problem.
- Include lemon in your daily diet like eating 2 – 3 slices of lemon, lemonade, lemon teas, etc. frequently and regularly for 2 – 4 days till you cleared the soreness in your throat.
- Always prefer to use fresh lemon rather than store brought for preventing the problem without any side effects.
Lemon for sore throat is a sure way to prevent sore throat. All you have to do is to follow these lemon methods regularly. Also, feel free to tell me which one worked well for curing your sore throat.