Nail affected by fungus are very unsightly and embarrassing. This is why most of us dealing with it don’t prefer to wear flip flops/sandals or walk barefoot. Nail fungus treatment requires at least few months to completely clear the infection.
Meanwhile, if you want to mask or conceal the ugly looking nails then it is possible with antifungal nail polishes. These are medicated nail polishes which not only cover up the fungus but also helps to heal the condition.
In this article, we tried to include all the information like how antifungal nail polish works, how to choose the best one and others. You can read it by clicking “HERE”. If you haven’t got much time to read then below are the best antifungal nail polishes you can try.
List of Best Antifungal Nail Polisheses: 2018 Review
|Product||Suited For||Available Colors||Our Rating||Buy Now|
|Dr.’s Remedy||Both Toenail and finger nails||41||4.9||Check the Price|
|Nu Wave||Only Toenails||18||4.8||Check the Price|
|DaniPro||Both toenail and finger nails||20||4.8||Check the Price|
Among the 3 brands mentioned above in the list, we have picked Dr.’s Remedy as the best because of its beneficial ingredients. They not only treat the infection but also promote healthy growth of nails. Though there is no much difference in the price range, the quality of ingredients is what we have fallen for.
Detailed Description of Each Product:
Dr.’s remedy antifungal nail polishes are formulated by two podiatrists, Dr. William Spielfogel and Dr. Cirlincione. The presence of vitamin E and C makes these nail polishes more effective in treating nail fungus. Apart from that, it also ensures healthy and strong nails.
The main ingredients of Dr.’s Remedy nail polishes are:
- Wheat protein – known to improve shine of the nails.
- Garlic extract – potent antifungal properties.
- Tea tree leaf oil – rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Apart from these, it also contains ethyl acetate, butyl acetate, nitrocellulose, isopropyl alcohol, adipic acid, citric acid, neopentyl glycol, vitamin C, vitamin E, stearsalkonium bentonite.
This is the only antifungal nail polish that has been awarded the American Podiatric Medical Association Seal of Approval. This nail polish will remove ridges and distortion instantly.
Dr.’s Remedy nail polish can be left on the toenails for 2 – 3 weeks, for fingernails it can left around 5 – 7 days. For better results, remove toenail polish once in 10 days so that the nails can have a chance to breathe to keep them healthy.
- Safe for children and pregnant women.
- Contains no fromaldehyde, DBP or toluene.
- Suitable for vegans as it is not tested on animals.
- Made in USA.
- 38 colors available.
- Manufactured by two podiatrists.
- Awarded the American Podiatric Medical Association Seal of Approval.
- Nothing much.
If you have been looking for a medicated nail polish for toenail fungus then Nu wave products have to your choice. Usually, people suffering from toenail fungus use nail polishes for two purposes: cover unsightly nails and support the treatment. And the Nu Wave serves the two purposes perfectly.
The polish is specially formulated with non-toxic ingredients that provide the appearance of normal nail polishes with an added benefit of clearing up the fungal infection.
The Nu Wave nail polish range are developed by two women podiatrists who wanted to establish a preventive regimen for their patients. It contains triclosan: an antibacterial and antifungal which will guard against the fungal infection.
It doesn’t contain any toxic or harmful chemicals like formaldehyde, toluene, DBP, camphor or other phthalates. And more over it is completely vegan too. It is available in several different colors like matte pink, shiny maroon, hot pink, matte purple and many others.
The application will stay effective until 7 days. Later you have to remove the application and re-apply the nail polish. If you don’t follow this regimen and leave it for more than 7 days then it can become troublesome.
- Nail polishes are long lasting and durable.
- Unique collection of shades and colors.
- Doesn’t contain non-toxic chemicals.
- 100% vegan and gluten free.
- Manufactured by 2 female podiatrists.
- Wide range of colors.
- Nothing much.
Though DaniPro is newbie in the market, it has become a product that we can completely trust on. It was developed by New York Podiatrist, Dr. Gary Evans. Usually, normal nail polishes hide the fungus and make the problem worse. However, the nail polishes by DaniPro contain antifungal properties which stop new fungus from forming.
These nail polishes contain undecylenic acid which is the main ingredient that has the capacity of targeting stubborn fungal infections. Apart from that, it contains Biotin, Vitamin E, and Vitamin A which help to strengthen the nail and promote healthy growth.
As only high quality ingredients are used, the nail polishes are free from harmful additives and toxins. They are not tested on animals so vegans can try them without any worry. The nail polish dries up easily and doesn’t chip easily. The shaker ball added to it ensures consistent nail polish every time.
It is effective in dealing with the fungus until 7 days. After that, you have to remove it using a non-acetone nail polish remover. It comes in several beautiful colors and clear tones.
- No harsh chemicals like formaldehyde, resin, DBP and others.
- Not tested on animals.
- Dries up quickly and doesn’t chip.
- Approved by American Podiatric Medical Association.
- Highest quality ingredients used.
- Some people may find it a bit hard to remove the polish with non-acetone remover.
How to Choose an Antifungal Nail Polish?
1. Does it contain harmful ingredients?
When it comes to choosing a nail polish, the foremost thing to consider is: whether it contains any harmful ingredients. If the nail polish contains toxic ingredients then it can worsen the fungal infection. Below are few toxic ingredients that should be avoided at any cost.
- Formaldehyde: As per U.S Environmental Agency, formaldehyde is human carcinogen. It can cause allergic reactions like watery eyes, burning sensation in the throat, headaches, difficulty in breathing and others in most of the people.
- Toluene: United States has strictly restricted the usage of toluene in the water as it is linked to liver and kidney damage. Several laboratories have also linked toluene to causing high number of birth defects. This is why pregnant women should avoid any product that contains toluene. In others, it can cause eye irritation, headache, dizziness and nausea.
- DBP: The congress has banned the DBP and other phthalates as it is related to birth defects, fertility problems, early onset of puberty in girls and hindered tests development in boys. They are banned to use in toys and cosmetics marketed to kids and pre-teens.
2. Beneficial Ingredients
Check the ingredients listed on the label of the nail polish. It can be an added advantage if it contains any healthy ingredients like vitamin E, C or any others.
3. Is it tested on animals?
If you are vegan, make sure these formulas or product is not tested on animals.
How Does An Antifungal Nail Polish Work?
The active ingredient like undecylenic acid, garlic extracts, triclosan or others with antifungal properties attack the cell membrane of the fungus. Once the membrane is broken, the fungus will become ineffective in spreading or growing. This way, the antifungal nail polishes not only cover the damage but also heal the nails too.
How to Apply Antifungal Nail Polish for Effective Results:
Before applying the nail polish, you have to prepare the nails. Just simply applying the nail polish is unlikely to provide enough treatment. Below is the complete procedure…
- Trim and shorten the nails.
- Infected nails are often thick and distorted. So, file the excess layers on the nails so that the active ingredient can reach the infection easily.
- Clean and dry the nails thoroughly.
- Apply the base coat to prevent further discoloration. And let it cost dry completely.
- Apply top coat to provide lusted to the nail polish. The top coat also ensures long lasting finish.
- Take off the nail polish once in 7 – 10 days with a non-acetone nail polish remover.
- Wash and dry the nails thoroughly. Take 1 day gap so that the nails can breathe properly.
- Repeat the process again.
Some Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I apply antifungal nail polish when I am undergoing nail fungus treatment?
Yes, you can. Once the nails are completely dry after applying the medicated creams or soaking in the solution, you can apply a coat of the anti-fungal nail polish.
2. Can men wear anti-fungal nail polishes?
Yes, men can also apply antifungal nail polish to cover up the infected nails. Clear nail polishes are available in every brand mentioned above. It helps to mask the infected nail and no one will know that you have applied a nail polish.
3. Can antifungal nail polish alone treat the onychomycosis?
Nope, just applying anti-fungal nail polish cannot treat the infection completely. As per various clinical studies, 12% of patients were able to cure the nail fungus infection using nail polishes in combination with other forms of treatment.
With antifungal nail polishes, you no longer need to hide your feet. You can happily wear flip flops and other foot care without any embarrassment. As these nail polishes are available in several colors, you can choose you desire and get back your confidence. As per our review, try Dr.’s Remedy nail polishes as it contains added benefits of vitamin E, C and other beneficial ingredients.
Further, if you have any other queries, write to us in the comment section below. Our expert team will get back to you as soon as possible.