Skin is the largest organ and essential part that makes the body to function properly. Burn refers to a skin condition that occurs when a part of the body gets affected due to chemical, thermal, electrical, cold temperature, heat, radiation, liquid scald, tar or hot plastic burns. It can be categorized into 3 types, depending up on their severity like first degree (minor), second degree (moderate) and third degree burns (severe).
There are many natural home remedies for burns like coconut oil. Virgin coconut oil is widely used to treat many skin disorders due to its amazing skin healing properties. Let’s go through this article to know how and why coconut oil is used for curing burns.
Is Coconut Oil good for Burns?
Yes, of course it works well for treating burns and it is mostly commonly used as a topical treatment for burns in most of the coconut cultivated countries.
- It has antiseptic and skin penetrating properties that help for the speed healing of mild and moderate burns on the skin.
- It accelerates the skin regeneration and activates the collagen fiber to produce more within the tissues to get repaired.
- It has anti-parasitic, infection fighting and non-toxic properties helps a lot in healing the burnt skin and its scars.
- It has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that help to give relief from the pain and irritation caused by burns on the skin.
- Vitamin E and antioxidant property in coconut oil helps to accelerate the skin’s recovery from burns, skin abrasions and other trauma.
- It moistures the skin and acts as a defensive barrier against the environmental and free radical damages which help to prevent further damage and heals the burnt skin.
- It has fatty acids like lauric acid, capric acid, caprylic acid and myristic acid that exhibits antibacterial, anti-carcinogenic and anti-fungal properties that enhance the immune system which in turn helps for faster healing and fades scars.
- It has cooling effect on the skin and when it is applied generously then it will keep the skin supple, moisturized and thus prevents it from peeling, blistering and scarring.
Want to know how to use coconut oil for treating burns and scars. Here we are providing you with the best coconut oil methods that effectively cure burns without any scars on the skin.
Method – 1: (Coconut Oil)
This process uses coconut oil alone for treating burns and its symptoms.
Steps to be followed…
- Before starting the process, submerse the burn in running water for about 5 – 10 minutes, as cold water will soothe the pain and irritation that associated with burn and also avoid scars formation.
- Then dry the wound or burnt skin with soft towel and apply virgin coconut oil thoroughly on it.
- Leave it like that as a thin layer on the burnt skin to get well moisturized and soothes the irritated skin.
- Continue doing the same at regular intervals for few days till you healed the burns completely without forming any scars on the skin.
Note: Or you can add few drops of lavender oil to the coconut oil and apply it on the burns to get rid of the stinging sensation and also avoid scarring.
Method – 2: (Coconut Oil Salve for Burns)
Coconut oil helps to heal the burnt areas of the skin very quickly by keeping the area free from attacking skin infection. This process is a homemade Neosporin mix that used to heal the burns and open wounds.
Steps to be followed…
- Add frankincense oil, lavender oil and tea tree oil in coconut oil.
- Stir it well and apply this on the burn affected areas of the skin.
- Leave it like that and repeat its application as needed on daily basis to cure the burnt skin.
Method – 3: (Coconut Oil with Lemon Juice)
Both coconut oil and lemon juice helps to treat minor burns by cooling the irritated skin along with lightening up its scars. This combination is used to treat burns and scars.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix some organic coconut oil and fresh lemon juice in a bowl.
- Stir well and apply it on the dried burns and its scars.
- Leave it like that and continue the application of coconut oil for few times on daily basis to facilitate faster healing.
Coconut Oil for Chemical Burns:
Chemical burns like acid burn can cause peeling of the skin along with irritation and pain. The affected area swells and becomes reddish due to the expose of the tissues and blood vessels to external environment. Also, coconut oil is used to treat radiation burn caused to those who undergo chemotherapy treatment for cancer. Just simply apply coconut oil on the affected areas continuously till you got relief from burns.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always prefer to use organic, cold pressed virgin coconut oil for treating the burns and its scars on the skin.
- You can also use coconut oil for sunburn treatment, just simply add 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil in 1 cup of coconut oil and apply it on the sunburn affected areas for deep moisture and nourishment to the skin.
- However coconut oil is mostly used to treat first degree and second degree burns (minor and moderate burns) but you have to consult your doctor for severe third degree burns for immediate treatment.
- If you didn’t find any relief from the burns and its symptoms then immediately consult your doctor for treatment to get relief from the problem.
- Be sure to apply virgin coconut oil for several times a day regularly until you got complete relief from burns without any scars on the skin.
- Other than applying coconut oil, you have to follow some nutritious healthy diet, sufficient sleep, hydrate the body, etc. will help in faster recovery from the burns.
Use coconut oil whenever you have small and minor burns and try these methods for curing burns and scars on the skin. Do you know any other methods or queries related to coconut oil for burns? Then share it with us.