Brown spots are mainly caused due to the over exposure of skin to the sun’s harmful UV rays. This prolonged exposure will increase the production of melanocytes that in turn raises melanin in the skin which turns the skin darker.
These painless dark patches on the skin are also termed as dark spots, sun spots, age spots and liver spots. They appear most commonly on the face, neck, chest, shoulders, back and hands.
Other than sun exposure, aging, genetics, stress, nutritional deficiencies, weak liver functioning, pregnancy, certain health problems, etc. can also result in these dark spots.
Although, these spots are harmless, they make you look unattractive and feel embarrassed. Instead of using cosmetic products or treatments for preventing brown spots, you can try some natural ways to get rid of the dark spots.
Home Remedies for Dark Spots:
There are many best natural remedies available at home that effectively fades away these dark spots without any side effects.
Method – 1: (Lemon Juice)
Lemon juice exhibits exfoliating and bleaching properties that help to prevent brown spots by exfoliating the skin and reveal a fresh new layer of the skin. It not only lightens the spots but also makes it soft, clear and glowing.
- Mix enough fresh lemon juice and sugar to make it a paste.
- Apply it on the dark spots and scrub it gently for few minutes.
- Rinse off after 5 – 10 minutes and continue doing this scrubbing process for few times a week.
- Or add some olive oil into this mix before scrubbing.
- Also, apply fresh lemon juice (or) rub a lemon piece (or) a combination of lemon juice with turmeric powder (or) lemon juice with tomatoes directly on the dark spots to get rid of the problem.
- If you’ve sensitive or dry skin, dilute the fresh lemon juice with rose water or aloe vera gel or honey or water and apply it on your brown spots.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) that exfoliate the skin. It balances the pH levels of the skin and thus fades away the spots or scars without drying the skin.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of organic ACV in 2 – 4 tablespoons of fresh orange juice.
- Stir well and apply it on the brown spots using a cotton ball.
- Let it dry for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Do the same process once daily till you fade away the dark spots completely on the skin.
- Or dilute equal quantities of ACV and water and mix it by adding some honey. Apply it on the spots and rinse off after few minutes.
- Or else apply ACV directly on the dark spots affected areas (might sting) to get rid of the problem.
- Also, grate a 4 –inch piece of horseradish (skin lightening agent) and mix it in 1/4 cup of ACV. Stir well and keep it aside for 2 weeks and then stir. Strain the mix and apply it on the dark spots using a cotton ball. Rinse off after few minutes and repeat 2 – 3 times daily.
Method – 3: (Buttermilk)
Buttermilk has lactic acid which exfoliates the skin to remove age spots and blemishes. It lightens the skin without drying it.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of tomato juice in 4 teaspoons of buttermilk.
- Apply it on the brown spots affected skin areas and massage gently.
- Let it sit for few minutes and rinse off with water.
- Repeat it for 1 – 2 times daily till you get relief from the dark spots.
Note: Also, apply buttermilk directly on the affected areas using a cotton ball (or) drink buttermilk daily (or) applying a combination of lemon juice mixed buttermilk will help to get relief from the problem.
Method – 4: (Castor Oil)
Castor oil has monounsaturated fatty acids that promote antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties to protect the skin. It moisturizes, soothes the skin and fades away the dark spots on the skin.
- Apply castor oil directly on the brown spots using a cotton ball.
- Massage gently for few minutes to overnight and rinse off with water.
- Continue doing the same process for once in the morning and once at night before bedtime to get rid of brown spots and also to make the skin tone even.
Note: Also, use almond oil, coconut oil, olive oil or vitamin E oil along with castor oil to get rid of these spots.
Method – 5: (Sandalwood and Rosewater)
Sandalwood has an excellent skin lightening property that reduces the hyperpigmentation to fade away brown spots on the skin. Rosewater soothes the skin and prevents sun spots.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of rose water and 1 teaspoon each of fresh lemon juice and glycerin in 2 tablespoons of sandalwood powder.
- Stir well to make a fine paste and apply it on the spots affected areas as a pack.
- Let it sit for few minutes to dry completely and rinse off with cold water.
- Continue the same for few times a week till your brown spots disappear.
Note: Or mix few drops of sandalwood oil in 1 tablespoon of olive oil (or almond oil) and apply it on the dark spots affected areas in every night before bedtime and rinse off in the morning.
Method – 6: (Chickpea or Gram Flour)
Chickpea flour lightens the skin by fading off the scars and spots. It suits for all skin types that leaves the skin fresh and smooth.
- Squeeze lemon juice freshly from 1/2 a lemon and dip this empty lemon in a bowl filled with rosewater.
- Then add 2 teaspoons of gram flour, 1 teaspoon each of milk (or curd) and tomato juice, lemon juice and 2 pinches of turmeric in another bowl.
- Stir well to make a paste and apply it on the dark spots affected areas and let it sit for 20 minutes till it dries off.
- Then pour few drops of castor (or almond) oil on your fingers and start scrubbing gently your skin to take off the paste.
- After that, take the lemon slice dipped in rosewater and rub it all over the affected area.
- Rinse off the skin after the paste comes off completely.
- Repeat the same process once daily for 10 days and then do it for twice a week till you get complete relief from the dark spots.
Tips and Precautions:
- Apply a paste prepared by grinding horseradish piece with some water on the affected areas and rinse off after 15 – 20 minutes. Do this for few times a week to get rid of dark spots.
- Aloe vera soothes the sunburnt skin and aids skin regeneration to get rid of dark or sun spots. Apply fresh aloe vera gel (or juice) on the sun spots for twice daily to fade away the spots.
- Enzymes (papain) and alpha hydroxy acids in papaya will exfoliate the skin and thus reduces age spots. Rub some grated papaya on the brown spots and rinse off with lukewarm water after 20 minutes. Or rub papaya peel on the spot affected area but check whether you’re allergic to papaya before applying it.
- Also, apply watermelon juice, garlic paste, plain yogurt, onion juice, cucumber juice, tomato juice, fresh pineapple juice, etc. on the dark spots to get rid of the problem.
- Red currants have antioxidants and essential nutrients that prevent brown spots. Mash 1/4 cup of unripe red currants with 1 tablespoon of honey and apply this paste on the dark spots. Rinse off with warm water after 30 minutes. Apply lemon juice mixed with water on the area to treat the spots.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy diet to get rid of any skin problems from inside out.
- Follow some skin care regimen like wear sunscreen while going out in the sun, remove makeup while applying the natural remedies, rinse your face at night before bedtime, moisturize it, etc. to prevent dark or age spots.
Start using these natural remedies as a powerful weapon to prevent and protect your skin from dark spots. Do you know any successful remedies for brown spots? Then share it with us.