Dark or brown spots occur due to exposure of skin to the sun and that causes excessive production of melanin which turns the skin to darker. These spots are also known as sun spots (caused due to sun exposure), age spots (caused due to aging) or hyper-pigmentation.
This appears mainly on the areas like face, neck, back, chest, shoulders, hands and legs where it is easily exposed to sun, dirt or impurities and can be seen most commonly in adults of above 40 years. Hormonal imbalance, stress, vitamin deficiency, aging, acne, weak functioning of body parts are some of the factors causing black or dark spots on the skin.
Although these spots are harmless to the skin but make you look unattractive and affect your self – esteem. Don’t panic, there are many natural remedies that are easily available at home to fade away these spots and brighten up your skin with even skin tone.
Baking soda comes first in treating many health and beauty ailments including dark spots. Here are some of its properties that help you to know how it works for fading dark spots and acne scars on the skin.
- It has an excellent exfoliating property that exfoliates the skin to remove dirt, dead skin cells and excess oil that trapped in the skin pores to remove darkness and roughness to brown spots.
- It effectively encourages the growth of collagen to get rid of the spots or scars on the skin. This also helps to shed the skin and thus encourages the growth of new skin.
- It maintains the balance of the pH levels that in turn helps to prevent the bacteria or any other microbes affecting the immune system and causing these spots on the skin.
- It acts as a drying agent that dries out the skin pores by removing the oil and dirt which are trapped in the skin and clears the age spots and scars.
- It has skin lightening and bleaching property that lighten up these black spots naturally and leaves you with even skin tone.
After knowing about its properties, want to give a trial to this baking soda for dark spots. Then here are the best and most effective ways of using baking soda to get rid of dark spots.
Method – 1: (Baking Soda and Water)
Baking soda mixed with water will exhibit certain properties that help you to get rid of the many problems including removal of hyperpigmentation. This process is used to treat dark spots on face, neck, back and legs.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda in enough of water.
- Stir well to make it a fine paste and cleanse your skin thoroughly.
- Dry it slightly to damp your skin and then apply this paste on the dark spots affected areas.
- Massage it gently in circular motions for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Leave it on for another few minutes to get dried completely.
- Rinse it with lukewarm water followed by cold water.
- Dry your skin thoroughly with a soft towel and apply moisturizer that suits your skin.
- Continue doing the same process for 2 – 3 times a week on a regular basis to get rid of these dark spots.
- Or add 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1/4 cup of water. Stir well and apply this mix on the affected areas using a cotton ball at night time before going to bed. Rinse it off in the morning.
- Or else add some water to baking soda and a little of oatmeal to make it as a scrub paste. Use this to scrub the dark spots or scars affected skin areas.
- Alternatively, add 3 tablespoons of baking soda in 1 tablespoon of warm water to make it a fine paste. Use this paste to scrub the dark or brown spots on the face by massaging it in gentle circular motions. Rinse it with warm water and dry your skin.
Method – 2: (Baking Soda and Lemon Juice for Dark Spots)
Both lemon and baking soda have natural bleaching and skin lightening property that fades away the spots or scars on the skin and shines it with an even skin tone.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda and enough of lemon juice in a bowl.
- Stir it and it starts fizzing for few seconds.
- Mix well to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the sunspots affected skin areas.
- Leave it for few minutes and rinse it off with water.
- Repeat the same process regularly to get relief from brown spots and scars on the skin.
Note: For you’re having dry and sensitive skin then add some water by lessening the quantity of lemon juice in the process.
Tips and Precautions:
- Make sure to wash your face and remove any makeup before applying baking soda methods and also before going to sleep at night time to get rid of the problem.
- Avoid overusing of baking soda, as it dries out your skin and also, make sure to apply some moisturizer after applying baking soda to prevent dryness, irritation, and itching.
- Hydrate yourself with plenty of water, exercise regularly, consume healthy food, do some yoga and meditation to get relief from stress, wear sunscreen while going out, include citrus foods in your diet, etc. to get rid of the dark spots on the skin.
- Always it’s recommended to do some skin patch test while using any new ingredient on the skin to know whether it causing any allergic reaction or irritation on the skin.
- Never ever rub baking soda vigorously on the skin. In certain cases, baking soda may cause some stinging and itching sensations then wash off the mix immediately on the skin and consult your dermatologist to get relief from these brown spots.
That’s all for now about dark spots and try these baking soda methods to get rid of these spots and to enhance your beauty. But don’t forget to share your experience with us.