Gout – a type of arthritis caused due to the build-up of uric acid in the blood. Generally, when there is a breakdown of waste material called purines (dissolved in the blood, processed by kidneys and passed out through urine) in the body, then uric acid will be formed.
For some people, this uric acid remains in the blood and forms as crystals which are collected in the joints. This problem is more prone to men above 40s and also for those who are overweight. Redness, sudden, severe attacks of pain, tenderness in the joints along with swelling are some of the symptoms caused due to gout.
It is most commonly caused due to genetics, lack of some physical exercises, unhealthy diet, improper lifestyle habits, stress, smoking and excessive consumption of alcohol. It occurs most commonly in the hands, knees, ankles, wrists and feet.
However, there are many natural home remedies available for curing gout rather than using OTC medications and treatments. Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is the best remedy for treating many health and beauty problems. Even it was used by Hippocrates (the father of medicine) as an effective medicine for various problems.
How Does Apple Cider Vinegar work for Gout Pain?
- It has essential nutrients like potassium that helps to remove the toxins and excess water from the body. Calcium, iron and amino acids help to reduce the toxin build-up and thus serve as antibiotics.
- It balances the pH levels of the body and turns it into alkaline to cure gout and prevent its recurrence.
- Regular intake of ACV will help to break up the uric acid crystals and thus prevents it from reforming in any joints.
- It aids in proper blood circulation and purification throughout the body and prevents many health problems including gout.
- It improves proper digestion that in turn eliminates the chances of formation of uric acid.
- It becomes alkaline when enters into the body and thus eliminate the uric acid and dissolves the sodium urate crystals within the body and reduces gout.
- It increases the water content in the body and thus helps to excrete this waste through urine.
- It has anti-inflammatory property that soothes the inflammation and swelling in the joints. It also allows for better flexibility of the joints to move freely without any pain.
- It has rich amounts of acetic acid and malic acid which are very beneficial for relieving you from gout pain.
How to Cure Gout using Apple Cider Vinegar:
Here are some effective methods of ACV that help you to prevent gout pain. All you need to do is to follow them regularly without any interruption. Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar will provide a therapeutic effect on gout. This is a simple process that is used to cure many health problems including gout. Drinking ACV will result in the break – up of uric acid crystals and also stops the process of reformation in the joints.
Steps to be followed…
- Dilute 1 – 2 teaspoons of organic ACV in 1 glass of water (or some cherry juice).
- Consume it to get relief from gout and its pain.
- Regular consumption of ACV drink for 1 – 2 times daily will yield best results for curing gout quickly.
- Initially start the process by taking 1 teaspoon of ACV and then increase its quantity to 2 – 3 tablespoons for 2 – 3 times daily.
- Or you can mix 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of raw honey in this ACV drink before drinking to enhance its taste.
- Or else consume 2 teaspoons of ACV directly without diluting to get rid of gout. Or include it in your daily diet like salad dressing, food preservatives, chutneys, vinaigrettes, etc.
- Alternatively, mix some ACV in any of this appropriate juice (like cherry, strawberry or blueberry) without adding any sugar except stevia that helps not only to get rid of gout but also cures arthritis.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Honey)
Honey has an anti-inflammatory property that soothes the irritated joints and helps for better movement.
Steps to be followed…
- Add equal quantities of apple cider vinegar and organic honey.
- Stir well and drink it to get relief from pain.
- Continue drinking this mix for twice daily till you got complete relief from gout.
Method – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar Soak)
ACV has live enzymes and acetic acid that help you to get relief from the pain and swelling. Soaking your feet in ACV will prevent the gout pain.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1 cup of cider vinegar and 4 cups of hot water in a large bowl.
- Stir well and soak your gout attacked foot in this water for about 30 – 40 minutes.
- Repeat this soaking process regularly to prevent gout.
Note: Or else soak a clean cloth in ACV (or ACV mixed with water) and wrap it around the affected foot for about 15 – 20 minutes.
Method – 4: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda)
This process helps to alkalize the body by balancing the pH levels and relieves you from the pain and irritation caused by gout.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 2 – 3 tablespoons of cider vinegar.
- Stir well and drink it 20 – 30 minutes before each meal.
- But be sure that not to take it on an empty stomach, as it causes diarrhea and other small side effects.
- Do the same process for thrice daily till you got complete cure from the gout pain.
Best Time for taking ACV:
The best time to take apple cider vinegar for gout is once after meals to prevent acidic effect and alkalize the meals. The other one is at night time before going to bed in which you feel the gout pain most commonly at that time (or whenever you feel pain caused by gout).
Tips and Precautions:
- For best results, always use organic, raw, unpasteurized and unfiltered apple cider vinegar that has the mother in it, for treating gout.
- ACV relieves gout symptoms very effectively for many people but it might differ from one to another. However, it is a good idea to use cider vinegar regularly for not only treating gout but also other health problems.
- While drinking ACV, use a straw to prevent the effect on your teeth and throat.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages, acidic drinks, eat less seafood and red meat, reduce the consumption of high-fat dairy products, consume less processed food, etc. will help to get rid of gout attacks now and then.
- It’s not a good idea to take ACV in capsules or extract or any other supplements for treating gout and the best form of ACV is in liquid form.
- Use Non – Steroidal Anti – Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) like xanthine oxidase inhibitors and corticosteroids with your doctor’s advice to get relief from pain, reduce inflammation and block the production of uric acid.
That’s all for now about Apple Cider Vinegar for Gout, try these methods and get rid of your pain. Feel free to share your queries or experience with us.