Are you suffering from burning sensation in the stomach or heaviness in the chest with hoarseness, especially after taking food? Then you’re suffering from acid reflux.
What is Acid Reflux?
Acid reflux (or acid indigestion) is caused when the stomach contents or acid coming back into the esophagus due to the improper close of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). It is a painful health problem that causes heartburn, abdominal pain, sour taste, bloating, burning sensation in the intestine, etc.
However, there are many over the counter medications and antacids that treat this condition but the usage of these medications may cause some side effects with temporary relief.
In certain cases, the acid reflux occurs when there is enough stomach acid to break down or digest the food, which in turn, causes inflammation in the esophageal wall. So, in this case, apple cider vinegar (ACV) works best in treating acid reflux.
Here, in this article, we are going to know all about apple cider vinegar for acid reflux. Let’s get started.
Is Apple Cider Vinegar Good for Acid Reflux?
We all know that apple cider vinegar is prepared from crushed apple in which the bacteria and yeast will be added to ferment the liquid till we get a brownish cloudy appearance of apple cider vinegar with the mother content. Always remember to use raw, organic, unfiltered and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar for treating various hair, health and skin problems, including acid reflux due to its rich content of enzymes, pectin, and proteins.
Acid reflux is caused due to the result of too little stomach acid for proper digestion. The intake of apple cider vinegar (ACV) will increase the acid content in the stomach and thereby aids in proper digestion to get rid of this acid reflux or GERD along with its symptoms effectively.
In a study, it is stated that apple cider vinegar can prevent you from the attacks of acid reflux or heartburn but need more research to determine that apple cider vinegar is a consistent and effective way to treat the acid reflux.
How Does Apple Cider Vinegar Work for Acid Reflux?
- Apple cider vinegar prevents the stomach acid from moving up into the esophagus. It calms your irritated stomach by restoring the stomach’s pH balance.
- The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar will provide the essential acidity to the esophagus and thus help to break down the food properly and digest it easily.
- It is enriched with many essential nutrients like calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, etc. which aids in proper mineral absorption and thereby proper digestion of food and weight loss.
- The acetic acid in the vinegar helps to fight against the harmful bacteria or other foreign bodies for proper digestion and to enhance the gut’s health.
- It provides the body with various vitamins and traces of minerals that help to build an alkaline environment in the body. This, in turn, reduces acidity in your stomach, kills harmful bacteria in foods and aids in proper digestion.
How to Treat Acid Reflux using Apple Cider Vinegar:
There are several ways of using apple cider vinegar to treat acid reflux. But here we will discuss the best and effective ways. Let’s have a look at these methods.
Method – 1: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Water)
This is the simple and most common way of using apple cider vinegar for acid reflux.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar in 1 glass of water (prefer lukewarm water).
- Drink it before taking meals or whenever you suffer from the attack of acid reflux.
- If you want, add some honey to this water before drinking.
- You can increase the quantity of apple cider vinegar up to 2 tablespoons mixed in 8 ounces of water.
- Also, use this apple cider vinegar for GERD by simply using it as your salad dressing (or) add it to your fruits juices, smoothies, healthy drinks or in cooking.
- Never ever drink undiluted ACV, as it causes irritation of the esophagus and damages your tooth enamel.
Method – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Honey)
Both honey and apple cider vinegar has rich content of potassium which helps to neutralize the stomach acids. Honey soothes the irritated and inflamed esophagus with its soothing properties.
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of organic apple cider vinegar and raw honey.
- Consume this mixture slowly to get relief from the acid reflux symptoms.
- Repeat the same regularly whenever you suffer from acid reflux.
Method – 3: (Apple Cider Vinegar with Baking Soda)
Baking soda acts as an antacid that neutralizes the stomach acid to a great extent. Baking soda helps to neutralize the acidity of apple cider vinegar and makes it not to cause any tooth enamel erosion or dental sensitivity.
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 250 mg of water (8 ounces).
- Stir well and drink it on an empty stomach to get relief from acid reflux.
- Continue the intake of this drink for twice daily till you get complete relief from the problem.
Or simply combine 1 – 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 cup of water. Mix well till the bubble and fizz upon coming in contact and settle down. Finally, consume this drink on an empty stomach for 2 – 3 times daily to clear acid reflux. Repeat the action regularly to keep this acid reflux or GERD at bay.
If you’re suffering from severe acid reflux (GERD) then mix 2 tablespoons each of apple cider vinegar and baking soda in 1 glass of water and drink it for twice daily to get rid of the problem.
You can also follow these 5 Best Home Remedies for Acid Reflux
Method – 4: (White Vinegar)
You can also use white vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar by the vinegar should be made from grain and diluted with water. The acidity in vinegar will help a lot in breaking down the food and thereby aids in proper digestion to give relief from acid reflux.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of white vinegar in 1 cup of water and stir well.
- Drink this white vinegar water whenever you suffer from the attacks of heartburn or acid reflux.
- Regular intake will help you to get rid of acid reflux and GERD.
Note: Or simply mix this white vinegar in your smoothies or salad dressings or other foods.
Possible Side Effects:
Apple cider vinegar is safe to drink but you need to pay some attention to how you’re consuming it. Otherwise, it results in some side effects rather than treating acid reflux.
- Damage Tooth enamel – It is highly acidic in nature which harms your teeth by increasing dental sensitivity or erosion of tooth enamel. So, it’s best to drink the apple cider vinegar with a straw and also rinse your mouth after drinking.
- Interact with Medications – It interacts with some medications like diuretics, heart disease medicines, diabetes drugs, laxatives, etc.
- Worsens your Ulcers – If you have ulcer then avoid using apple cider vinegar for acid reflux, as its acidic nature will make your ulcers even worse.
- Blood Thinning – It thins your blood, so avoid taking it before planning for surgery or taking any blood thinning medications.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always use organic, raw, unpasteurized and unfiltered apple cider vinegar with its Mother content, which exhibits natural enzymes and filled with many nutrients. You can easily find it in the health food stores or grocery stores.
- Avoid drinking caffeinated beverages while suffering from acid reflux. Also, don’t consume 3 large meals instead, have 6 small meals for better digestion and thereby to prevent acid reflux.
- If you’re suffering from severe acid reflux (or) frequent attacks of acid reflux then consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Quit smoking and drinking alcohol for getting relief from heartburn and acid reflux.
- Avoid sleeping immediately after consuming food and also elevate your head while sleeping to get rid of late night attacks of acid reflux.
- Avoid the consumption of spicy, fatty, oily or processed foods as they result in acid reflux. foods and other foods and beverages which triggers heartburn and acid reflux.
- You can use other medications like antacids (to neutralize the stomach acid), H – 2 receptor blockers (like famotidine to block receptors in the stomach releasing acid) and proton pump inhibitors (like omeprazole to reduce the production of acid).
- Avoid lying down after eating food, as it results in bringing back the food to the esophagus and thereby causing acid reflux. Also, it’s better to elevate the head of your bed by several inches to prevent the attack of GERD.
Try these Apple Cider Vinegar methods to cure acid reflux and share your experience with us in the below comments box.