Yeast infection (or Candida) is caused due to Candida Albicans (fungi or yeast) that naturally exist in the body but raise into the infection when the immune system is disrupted.
It affects most commonly in the vaginal area and also develops under the breast, nail beds, lower abdomen, around dentures and beneath the skin folds.
Hormonal changes, stress, chronic health issues, antibiotics, diabetes, usage of oral contraceptives, steroids, etc. are some causes for yeast infection. Women are more prone to yeast infection with certain symptoms like itching, swelling or burning in and around the affected area.
Instead of using over the counter antifungal creams or medications, you can try some natural remedies at home to treat yeast infection.
Home Remedies for Yeast Infection:
There are so many natural remedies that work effectively in treating yeast infection. Let’s have a look at these remedies and follow them regularly till you get complete relief from the problem.
Remedy – 1: (Yogurt)
Yogurt is probiotic rich food that helps to restore the balance between good and bad bacteria which in turn helps to balance the pH levels of the body to restrict the growth of yeast fungus. It also has lactobacillus acidophilus bacterium that aids in the controlling the growth of infection.
Read more on How Yogurt treats Yeast Infection.
Remedy – 2: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil has terpinen – 4 – ol that exhibits antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the fungus causing yeast infection along with reducing the pain or burning sensation in the affected areas. It penetrates deep into the skin and prevents the growth of yeast (or) fungus.
Learn more on Tea Tree Oil for Yeast Infection.
Remedy – 3: (Baking Soda)
Baking soda exhibits antifungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that kill the fungus causing the infection to clear the infection. It balances the pH levels and soothes the skin to relieve you from the irritation, pain, and swelling that caused due to the yeast infection.
Click on the link to know more about Baking Soda for Yeast Infection.
Remedy – 4: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) re-colonizes the vagina and intestine with friendly bacteria and provides a powerful guard to prevent recurrence of yeast candida. It is also beneficial for diabetic patients by curing yeast infection by controlling the blood sugar levels.
Check out to know more about Apple Cider Vinegar for Yeast Infection.
Remedy – 5: (Coconut Oil)
Coconut oil contains active ingredients like lauric, caprylic and capric acids which exhibit antimicrobial and antifungal that restrict the growth of yeast fungus along with killing the yeast. It provides a protective layer to prevent the skin from pain and irritation and thereby to cure the infection.
Know more about Coconut Oil for Yeast Infection.
Remedy – 6: (Garlic)
Garlic has allicin enzyme that has antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that clear the infection causing microbes along with treating the pain and burning sensation caused on the affected area. It also restores the good bacteria to maintain a balance between good and bad bacteria.
Read more on How Garlic treats Yeast Infection.
Some Other Effective Remedies:
- Cranberries – It has antifungal and antimicrobial properties that flush out the yeast causing infection and also balances the pH of the urine by restoring the good bacteria in the vagina to cure the infection. Drink unsweetened cranberry juice or take its supplements regularly to speed up the healing process.
- Boric Acid – It has mild antifungal and antiseptic properties that help to clear yeast infection but it is not recommended for pregnant women. Dilute some boric acid in water and apply the paste on the yeast infected areas. Rinse off with water after few minutes and repeat it daily to get rid of yeast infection.
- Oregano Oil – It exhibits antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to clear the infection and its symptoms effectively. Apply a small amount of oregano oil directly on the affected area (or) drink 1 glass of water or juices by adding 3 drops of oregano oil to get rid of the infection.
- Calendula – It also has antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that combat the growth of yeast. Crush few calendula leaves and apply the paste on the infected areas (or) use calendula lotion or ointment on the infected areas. Do it for 2 – 3 times daily till you get rid of the yeast infection.
- Olive Leaf Extract – It has antifungal, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that kill the yeast and restores the good bacteria in the body. Finely chop some olive leaves and place it a glass jar. Then pour vodka till the leaves covered completely and close the lid and store in dark place for 4 weeks. Strain it and apply it on the infected area for thrice daily until you get complete relief from the problem.
- Probiotics – It is a good bacteria that suppress the yeast’s growth and enhance the friendly bacteria to strengthen your immune system, aids in proper digestion and prevent future infections. So, consume plenty of probiotic-rich foods.
Tips and Precautions:
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy drinks like fruit or vegetable juices, herbal teas, soups, smoothies, etc. to flush out the yeast and cure the infection.
- Avoid sugars, dairy products, alcohol, white flour, fermented foods, vinegar, processed or oily fatty foods, etc. to restrict the growth of yeast in our body and thereby the infection.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t get any relief from the infection and get some vitamins and supplements to boost your immunity and to clear the problem.
- Include grapefruit extract, vitamin C, goldenseal, beta carotene, etc. to enhance the immunity and cure the infection quickly.
- Always keep your vaginal area dry and clean and also wear cotton underwear and loose-fitting clothes until you’re free from this yeast fungal infection.
- Rinse your hands frequently with soap and water, especially after using the restrooms and before eating foods to prevent the risk of getting the infection.
- The oral contraceptives will increase the glycogen in your vagina, which in turn encourages the growth of yeast. So, ask your doctor for an alternative birth control medicines.
- Frequent usage of antibiotics, people with comprised immunity, increased estrogen levels, uncontrolled diabetes, etc. will run the risk of developing yeast infections. Also, use condoms during sex to prevent the transmission of a yeast infection.
- Avoid stress, do some regular exercises, sleep for 7 – 8 hours and avoid the usage of hot tubs, feminine sprays, deodorant tampons and bubble bath solutions with chemicals, as it imbalance the pH levels and raises the risk of developing infections.
Try these natural remedies to get relief from the yeast infection. Do you know any other effective remedies for yeast infection? Then share it with us in the below comments box.