Skin tags occur on the neck, eyelids, armpits, inner thighs and groin areas of the skin, especially where the skin folds or rubs against itself. These are abnormal growth of the skin that looks typical flesh colored and vary in size. It is composed of blood vessels and collagen fibers that make you not to get any pain or affect your health.
However, there is no definite cause for its appearance but few suggestions like hormonal changes, human papillomavirus (HPV), rubbing against clothes or jewelry and over usage of steroids might cause these skin tags.
Most of the people think that natural remedies don’t work for treating their health or skin problems but it is not true in all cases. When it comes to skin tags, there are many natural ways that effectively remove the skin tags. Some people tie them off with string or cut them off with scissors will only raise the risk of infection rather than curing it.
Tea tree oil is a potent home remedy that widely used for treating skin tags. It is an essential oil that was extracted from the leaves of melaleuca alternifolia which is an organic, safe and cost affordable remedy that works well for treating a variety of skin related conditions.
Does Tea Tree Oil remove Skin Tags?
Yes, it is! You can find it as an ingredient in most of the over the counter skin tag treatments due its wide range of medical conditions. Here we are going to know how it works to remove skin tags.
- It has natural antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that help to clear the skin tags without any infection.
- It has terpinen – 4 – ol and cineol that makes the oil to penetrate deep into the skin and remove the skin tags.
- It has an excellent drying effect that makes the cells in tags to get deprived of oxygen and supply of blood and thus reduces the size of the tag, turns black and falls off easily.
- It is very safe to use on all the skin areas including on the eyelids when mixed with water or carrier oil or any natural base like aloe vera gel, etc.
- It has an anti-inflammatory property that soothes the infected area and removes the tags quickly without any pain.
How to Remove Skin Tags using Tea Tree Oil?
Here are the best methods of using tea tree oil for clearing the skin tags. All you need is to follow these methods regularly without any interruption till you get complete relief.
Method – 1: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil alone can be used to get rid of skin tags. Here is the most effective and widely used process for removing skin tags.
Steps to be followed…
- Clean the area on and around skin tags with soap and warm water and dry it thoroughly.
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in water.
- Squeeze it to remove excess water and add 2 – 4 drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply the ball on the affected areas and massage it gently for 3 – 5 minutes in circular motions.
- After that, rinse the area and pat the skin dry.
- Repeat the same process for 2 – 3 times daily.
- Or wrap your skin tag with an adhesive bandage after application of tea tree oil with a damp cotton ball to get relief from skin tags.
- Or simply dip a cotton swab in tea tree oil directly and place it on the skin tags affected skin areas. Then remove the cotton on the swab and place it on the tag. Secure it with a bandage or tape.
Method – 2: (Tea Tree Oil with Carrier Oil)
This combination is very effective in treating the skin tags without any pain or irritation. This can be used by even pregnant women and children above 7 years.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 3 – 4 drops of tea tree oil in 1 teaspoon of any carrier oil (like olive oil, castor oil, almond oil, jojoba oil or clove oil).
- Stir well and apply this oil mix on the clean and dry skin tags.
- Massage it gently for few minutes and wrap a bandage over it.
- Let it sit for few minutes and remove it.
- Regular follow-up will remove the tags quickly from the skin.
Method – 3: (Tea Tree Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Juice)
Apple cider vinegar contains alpha-hydroxy acid and acetic acids that help to remove the dead skin cells causing skin tags and warts. Lemon juice has citric acid that dries out the skin tags. So, this method is very effective in removing the tags from skin.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 3 drops of tea tree oil, 4 drops of organic apple cider vinegar and 5 drops of fresh lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Stir well and dip a cotton ball to soak in it.
- Place the ball on the skin tags affected area and cover it with a Band-Aid.
- Let it sit for few minutes and remove the band aid.
- Repeat the same regularly for at least 10 days on twice a day.
Do’s and Don’ts:
- Tea tree oil should not be consumed orally, as it is toxic and leads to many side effects like nausea, stomach problems and even coma in certain cases.
- Never ever apply undiluted tea tree oil on the dry or sensitive skin, as it causes irritation and over dryness which leads to other skin problems.
- For more effective results, tea tree oil is mixed with cashew plant, bloodroot, fig plant and greater celandine plant. Mix the extract of these plants with tea tree oil to get rid of the skin tags.
- You will find a relief from these skin tags with not less than 15 days after using tea tree oil. If you don’t find any improvement then switch to other skin tag removal methods after a month.
- Always prefer to use 100% pure and organic tea tree oil and there are many brands available in the health stores, natural stores, supermarkets, or online. Choose the best one that suits your budget and availability.
- It’s recommended to do some skin patch test before using tea tree oil for skin tags removal. Also, you can use tea tree oil based creams, lotions, and sprays for removing skin tags.
This is all about Tea Tree Oil for Skin Tags. Hope you follow these methods to get rid of the skin tags. Let us know which one worked well for removing your tags.