A swollen lip is really an embarrassing and painful condition which causes difficulty in drinking, eating, talking or even opening the mouth properly.
The skin tissues in our lips are soft and delicate, so they get hurt quickly and swollen up. The reasons for this swelling include trauma, dryness, allergies, extreme weather conditions, insect bite, poor diet, dehydration, viral infection or usage of poor quality lip care products.
You should consult your doctor if you’re suffering from a swollen lip that caused due to an allergy, serious injury or any chronic medical problem for proper diagnose and treatment.
For other cases of a swollen lip, you can go through these natural home remedies rather than using any over the counter cosmetic medications.
Home Remedies for Swollen Lips:
Here are the best remedies that are widely used to reduce the swelling of your lips. Follow them regularly for quick and effective results.
Remedy – 1: (Cold or Warm Compress)
Cold or warm compress will improve the blood flow and thus lessens the accumulation of blood in the swollen area, which in turn, reduces the swelling and inflammation.
Placing cold compress as soon as you notice swollen lips will help to reduce the swelling that caused by the lip piercing. Hot compress will reduce the accumulation of blood flow in the swollen areas and thereby reduces the pain and swelling.
- Wrap some ice cubes in a washcloth (for cold compress) or soak a washcloth in warm water and wring to remove excess water (for warm compress).
- Place any of this compress on the swollen lip area for 5 – 7 minutes and remove it for a minute.
- Repeat the application again and continue this process for few times a day till you get rid of a swollen lip.
- Avoid applying ice cubes directly on the swollen lips, as it results in mild frostbite and also never apply compress on the lips if you’ve any cuts on the skin.
- Also, instead of ice cubes wrap, you can use a cold spoon or a bag of frozen peas.
- For best results, use a cold compress for initial 1 – 2 days and then go for a warm compress.
- If you’re having any breaks or cuts in the skin then avoid placing a warm compress. Also, use cold and hot compresses alternately for every 4 – 5 hours till you get relief from swollen lips.
Remedy – 2: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and skin soothing properties that reduce pain, burning sensation, and swelling of the lips. It works best in treating swollen lips that caused by insect bites, mosquito bites or some kind of allergic reactions.
- Extract aloe vera gel freshly from an aloe vera leaf.
- Apply a fresh aloe vera gel on the swollen lip using your fingers.
- Massage the area gently for a minute till aloe vera is absorbed by the lip.
- Continue this application for 2 – 3 times daily.
Remedy – 3: (Turmeric)
Turmeric contains curcumin, which exhibits antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that heal your swollen lip that caused by any bacterial or viral infections.Cold water and fuller’s earth used in this process will enhance the healing process.
Here is the detailed process to prepare a turmeric herbal ointment used to get rid of a swollen lip.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder in 1 teaspoon of fuller’s earth.
- Stir well by adding enough cold water till it forms a paste.
- Apply this herbal paste all over the affected lip.
- Let it dry for few minutes and rinse your lips using lukewarm water.
- Continue the application of this ointment for twice daily until you get complete relief from the swelling and pain of your lips.
Remedy – 4: (Black Tea Bag)
Black tea has tannins which exhibit an astringent property that reduces your pain and swelling in the soft tissues of the lips.
- Place a black tea bag in warm water for about 10 minutes.
- Take out the tea bag and squeeze it to remove excess water.
- Let it cool for few minutes and place this black tea bag over the swollen lip.
- Let it sit for 10 – 15 minutes and take it out.
- Do the same process for several times a day till you get relief from the lip swelling.
Note: Also, use chamomile tea bags or green tea bags instead of black tea bags for preventing swollen lips.
Remedy – 5: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil exhibits antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat swollen lips (especially caused by cuts or infections).
- Dilute few drops of tea tree oil in 1 teaspoon of any natural or carrier oil (like coconut oil, almond oil or olive oil or jojoba oil).
- Apply this mix on the lips and massage gently.
- Rinse off after 30 – 45 minutes with water.
- Pat dry your lips and repeat the same process for few times daily.
- Or use aloe vera gel instead of any carrier oil to get rid of this problem.
- Also, avoid applying undiluted tea tree oil directly on the affected area. Never use tea tree oil on children and also rinse them immediately if it causes any irritation on the applied area.
Remedy – 6: (Witch Hazel)
Witch hazel has an astringent property that soothes your pain, reduces swelling and also cleans the cut or infection causing swollen lip.
- Mix 1/2 tablespoon of salt in 1 tablespoon of witch hazel and apply it on the affected lip using a cotton ball.
- Allow it to sit for about 30 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
- Repeat the same process regularly till you notice the reduction in your swollen lip.
Some Other Effective Remedies:
- Honey has humectant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that moisturize your lips and reduce pain and swelling. Apply some raw honey on the affected lip using a q-tip or cotton ball and rinse off with cold water after 20 minutes. Repeat it 2 – 3 times daily to get rid of the problem.
- Application of baking soda paste (mix 3 teaspoons of baking soda in 1 teaspoon of water) will help you a lot in relieving your swollen lip that caused due to fever blisters, allergic reaction, or insect or mosquito bites. Rinse off after few minutes with cold water. Do it few times daily till the swelling subsides.
- Salt acts as a natural disinfectant that reduces the swollen lip caused due to some cuts or infection, as it kills the germs causing infection in the cuts. Mix 1 tablespoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water and apply it on the affected lip using a cotton ball. Initially, you experience a stinging sensation but it heals. Repeat once or twice daily.
- Placing thin slices of potato or a paste of apple butter (apple pulp mixed in butter) on the swollen lip will help to treat the problem effectively.
- Using Epsom salt will help to reduce swelling effectively, f it is caused due to any cuts or bruises on the lips. It reduces the swelling with its anti-inflammatory properties. Stir 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt in 1 cup of warm water and soak a cloth in this water. Squeeze it to place on the swollen lips for 15 minutes and do it daily.
Do’s and Don’ts:
- Application of natural oils like coconut oil or almond oil or arnica oil or castor oil or vitamin E oil on your swollen lips will help to reduce the pain and swelling of your lips. Make sure to massage for few minutes and leave for a couple of hours to overnight. Do it daily for best results.
- Make sure to consult your doctor if your experience swelling repeatedly for proper diagnose and treatment.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy and well-balanced diet that includes vitamins (A, B & C) rich foods to get rid of swollen lips.
- Never ever lick your lips, as it worsens your problem and also, coat your lips with lip balm to moisturize and prevent swelling.
- Use milk cream or petroleum jelly to treat dry or chapped lips which in turn prevents swollen lips.
- Always maintain proper lip care hygiene to prevent this problem like regular scrubbing, protecting them from weather conditions, etc.
- Avoid the usage of harsh chemical based cosmetics on your lips which causes and worsen your swollen lips.
- Drink plenty of water and consume healthy food that is rich in vitamin C, green and other immune boosting foods to fight the infection and to reduce the pain and swelling of your lips. Also, avoid the intake of any allergic food items causing swollen lips.
So, you came to know how to get rid of swollen lips naturally with simple home ingredients. Try these natural remedies for treating swollen lips. Do you know any other successful remedies to get rid of swelling lips? Then share it with us in the below comments box.
1. Are there any symptoms to recognize the swollen lips?
The swelling of lips may or may not be accompanied with pain that in turn results in difficulty in eating, talking, drinking or opening the mouth. Discharges from pus filled bumps, lips feeling numb, nasal congestion, itchiness, tingling and tightening sensation, fat or enlarged lips.
You may experience other symptoms like blisters, headache, lip discoloration, chapped skin, tiredness, fatigue, dried and painful lip peeling, etc.
2. How long will it take to heal this swelling on the lips if you cut it with the tooth?
You may develop a bruise or cut at the site of injury on the lip and the healing time will depend on how badly the lips injured. It may take you from 7 – 10 days of time to heal your lips completely.
3. I heard that apple cider vinegar works but it is acidic in nature. Is it effective to apply on the swollen lip?
You can use ACV for treating swollen lips. Even though it is acidic in nature but it has an excellent antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help a lot in relieving your pain and swelling by fighting against the microbes causing swollen lips.
Coming to burning or tingling sensation, you have to dilute ACV in water before applying. Mix 1 teaspoon of organic ACV in 1 tablespoon of water and apply it on the swollen lips with a cotton ball. Leave it for few minutes and rinse with water. Continue this for 1 – 2 days daily till you get relief from swollen lips.
4. Is there any chance for my lips to swell after lip piercing?
There is a chance for swelling your lips after lip piercing why because the harmful bacteria or microbes may enter into the site and causes infection. This will result in lip swelling and hurt with a lot of pain. So, take proper care and maintain oral hygiene to get rid of this problem.
5. When to take medical care while suffering from lip swelling?
When you’re experiencing extreme symptoms like tight throat, fingernail discoloration, tongue swelling, distress, breathing difficulties, rash or hives or recurrence of this swelling on your lips, etc. then you should immediately consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment.
6. Are they any foods that cause these swollen lips?
In general, people who consume foods that are allergic to them then they experience swollen lips. Although, there are some common foods that cause swollen lips like melons, banana, pineapples, avocado, apples, etc. You will observe less effect when you consume this food in cooked form.
7. How many days the fat lip takes to return to normal position?
It is a tricky question why because there are many factors that determine the time for the returning busted lips to normal lips. The factors include the cause of your swelling, the severity of the affected areas of the lips, allergic reactions, insect bites, etc. So, the healing time may differ from 2 days to a month.