We all know that knee provides the stability and flexibility in your legs and thereby makes the whole body to stand, walk, run, jump, crouch and turn around. Knees become weak with the age.
Weak knees will affect the mobility and thus makes it difficult to carry out our daily activities. Other than age, there are many causes like any injury or strain on the knees, osteoarthritis, smoking, excess intake of sodium, sedentary lifestyle, drinking, nutritional deficiency, etc. that weaken your knees.
For a healthy living, we need to keep the knees strong and healthy. If you’re one among those people suffering from weak knees and pain then it’s time to make some lifestyle and dietary changes to strengthen your knees. In this article, we will learn how to keep the knees strong.
How to Strengthen the Knees:
Here are some knee strengthening exercises and remedies you have to follow regularly to maintain your knees strong and healthy.
Remedy – 1: (Knee Strengthening Exercise)
There are many knee exercises that like step – ups, single leg squats, lunges, hamstring stretches with thigh contractions, knee bends, straight leg raises, squats with a Swiss ball, etc. will help you to strengthen your knees.
Do such knee exercises for at least 30 minutes daily (or 4 – 5 times a week) to strengthen your muscles around the joints and keep the joints properly aligned and positioned.
If you’re experiencing any knee pain or stiffness, then stop doing them and consult your doctor/expert to learn some suitable exercises as per your health condition.
Remedy – 2: (Epsom Salt)
People suffering from certain health or joint problems like osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis (caused due to low levels of magnesium) will have weak knees or suffer from knee pain.
Epsom salt is high in magnesium that reduces the inflammation around the knee joints. It also aids in proper functioning of muscles and better absorption of calcium to strengthen the knees.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt in 1/2 cup of warm water and stir well.
- Then soak a clean washcloth in it and squeeze it to remove excess water.
- Apply the cloth on the knees and let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Rinse the knees with lukewarm water and repeat it regularly for once or twice a week.
Note: Or dissolve 1 cup of Epsom salt in a bathtub of warm water and soak yourself for 20 minutes will strengthen your knees. Do it regularly for once or twice a week.
Remedy – 3: (Massage)
Massage is another effective way to strengthen your knees and also clears the knee pain. In general, massage will help to improve the circulation and thereby provides essential nutrients to reach the weak joints and muscles to make it strong.
- Warm slightly some natural oils like olive, coconut, almond or mustard oil.
- Use this warm oil to massage the knees by using gentle yet firm strokes for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Continue the massage in both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions till the oil absorbed by the body.
- Repeat the same process for twice daily till you get rid of weak knees and its pain.
Note: If you’re suffering from chronic knee pain then it’s time to consult some experienced massage therapist to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 4: (Swimming)
Swimming is an aerobic exercise that put less pressure on the joints to relieve you from knee pain or arthritis. It effectively strengthens the muscles around the knee joints, reduces its stiffness and thus improves the overall fitness.
So, do 30 minutes of swimming for 5 days a week on regular basis will help to strengthen the knees. Try some strokes like front crawl, butterfly stroke and backstroke in swimming but avoid breaststroke as it puts more pressure on the knee joints.
Remedy – 5: (Diet)
Diet will play a major role in treating any health or beauty problem. Here is the diet list to be included for treating your knee pain and to strengthen them.
- Calcium is essential for bone health and thereby strengthens your knees. So, include calcium rich foods like dark leafy greens, cheese, almonds, edamame, milk, calcium – fortified cereals, sardines, fortified orange juice or blackstrap molasses (or) consult your doctor to take its supplements.
- Vitamin D is a threshold nutrient for preventing bone loss and increased risk of minimal trauma fractures. It is also essential for proper absorption of calcium by the body. Get exposure to the sunlight for 15 minutes (or) include fish, egg yolks, cod liver oil, fortified cereals and dairy products in your diet (or) take its supplement after consulting your doctor.
- Fish oil has EPA and DHA forms of omega – 3 fatty acids that strengthen your knees joints and reduce the knee pain and stiffness. Consume cold water fish (tuna, salmon or mackerel) for twice a week (or) take 2.6 grams of fish oil with 30% EPA/DHA for twice daily after consulting your doctor.
- Vitamin C helps in collagen formation and synthesis required for knee cartilage and bone development. Consume berries, bell peppers, lemon, oranges, spinach, broccoli or cauliflower (or) consult your doctor to know about supplements of vitamin C and its dosage.
- Include anti-inflammatory foods like salmon, ginger, flax seeds, olive oil, turmeric, walnuts, spinach, tart cherries, sweet potatoes, blueberries or avocados in your diet to prevent swelling and inflammation caused due to weak joints and knee pain.
- Lessen the intake of inflammatory causing foods like white rice, sugary foods, white flour products, soda and other foods high in saturated fats from the diet.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy drinks like herbal teas, healthy fruit or vegetable juices, smoothies or soups to flush out the toxins, soften the cartilage and to enhance the body’s ability to absorb the essential nutrients from the body.
- Avoid too much consumption of salt, as it contributes to calcium loss and thereby weakens the knee’s strength.
Tips and Precautions:
- Do some warm-ups before exercising to lubricate the joints and also to raise the body’s temperature.
- Regularly go for walking or cycling, which adds strength to your knees and avoid choosing sports that require a sudden start or stop or jump or twist, as it puts pressure on the knees.
- It’s best to stop doing certain activities, which cause pain in the knees.
- Choose acupuncture or yoga poses which help to heal the knee pain and strengthen your knees.
- Avoid standing or sitting for too long periods in the same position. Also, don’t wear high heel shoes, as it puts pressure on the knees and makes it weak.
- Quit smoking and drinking alcohol to strengthen the knees and prevent the bone loss.
- Consult your doctor if you’re suffering from chronic knee pain or knee problem for proper diagnose and treatment.
Try these natural ways to strengthen your knees. Do you know any other successful knee strengthening remedies? Then share it with us in the below comments box.