The shiny, healthy and beautiful hair is a desire to everyone (both man and woman) but there are many internal and external factors that cause hair to become thin and make you look unattractive.
Stress, hormonal imbalance, genetics, allergies, excessive usage of harsh chemical based hair care products (toxic exposure), nutritional deficiencies, thyroid, poor hair hygiene, certain hair and scalp problems, etc. will thin your hair and thus results in hair loss (alopecia).
However, there are some natural hair growth remedies that help to thick the hair but the usage of certain essential oils will help you a lot in gaining the voluminous hair by stopping the hair loss.
In a study, it is stated that massaging the hair with essential oil (mixed with base oil) regularly will promote hair growth consistently by reducing the hair fall. So, in this article, we will learn about essential oils to stop hair thinning and stimulate hair growth.
How to Stop Hair from Thinning using Essential Oils:
Here are some best essential oils that treat hair thinning and promote the growth of new hair for healthy and voluminous hair.
1. Rosemary Essential Oil:
Rosemary essential oil has antimicrobial, antioxidant, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help a lot in promoting a healthy scalp and thereby hair growth. It also slows the hair graying along with treating dandruff, itchy scalp and other scalp problems.
It improves proper blood circulation and thus stimulates hair growth. As it is an essential oil, you have to mix it with carrier oils (such as almond oil, castor oil or olive oil).
Steps to be followed…
- Add 12 drops of rosemary oil in 2 tablespoons of warm olive oil.
- Stir well and apply this rosemary stimulant all over the scalp with your clean fingers.
- Massage for few minutes to trap heat and cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Wait for 45 minutes to few hours and then rinse your hair thoroughly with water and shampoo.
- Repeat the same process regularly to prevent hair thinning and to enjoy healthy hair.
Check out How Rosemary Oil Stimulates Hair Growth
2. Lavender Essential Oil:
The strong antiseptic property of lavender oil will help to get rid of germs clogging the hair follicles and causing infection and thereby hair fall. It also helps to improve the blood circulation to the scalp for the healthy hair growth. This oil is used as an ingredient in many hair care products.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix 4 – 6 drops of lavender oil and 2 – 3 drops of cedarwood essential oil in 2 tablespoons of warm sesame oil.
- Stir well and use this oil to massage the scalp thoroughly.
- Cover your hair with a warm towel to trap the heat.
- Leave it on for overnight and rinse off your hair with shampoo and warm water.
- Do this overnight scalp treatment regularly to enjoy healthy, shiny and voluminous hair.
3. Cedar Wood Essential Oil:
Cedarwood protects the scalp with its antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that treat fungal infections which inhibit the hair growth and also promotes hair growth. Poor blood circulation will weaken the hair follicles and leads to hair fall, the usage of this essential oil will stimulate the blood circulation and aids in healthy hair growth.
Steps to be followed…
- Add 6 – 7 drops of cedarwood essential oil in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Stir well and apply this oil mix onto the scalp.
- Massage gently in circular motions and wear a shower cap.
- Wait for at least an hour or overnight and after that, rinse off your hair thoroughly using a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Regular follow – up of this scalp massage will definitely help you to get rid of the hair fall.
Tip: The usage of cedar wood oil will promote a sound sleep and thereby relieves your stress and strain.
4. Sweet Basil Essential Oil:
Basil oil contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and other essential nutrients which promote hair growth. It also keeps the scalp nourished with proper nutrient rich blood circulation to the scalp. It unclogs the blocked hair follicles and clears the oily scalp and dandruff.
Caution – It is suggested to use only recommended quantity of basil oil why because it is extremely strong and can lead to dangerous and toxic, if not used in the right way.
Steps to be followed…
- Mix 3 drops of basil oil in 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil and stir well.
- Apply it on the scalp with your hands and massage gently for few minutes to cover the entire scalp.
- Let the oil sit for at least 30 minutes and then rinse the hair properly with shampoo.
- Wrap the hair with a non-fluffy towel to prevent hair breakage and to enhance hair growth.
- Continue the same process regularly to have thick hair.
Note: Also, for best results, leave the oil on the scalp for overnight and rinse it off in the morning.
5. Thyme Essential Oil:
Thyme essential oil will ward off the fungus, bacteria and other germs which are accumulated on the scalp and causing scalp infections and thereby hair loss with its effective antifungal, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. It improves blood circulation and promotes the growth of new hair to prevent thin hair.
Steps to be followed…
- Stir 6 – 7 drops of thyme essential oil in 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil.
- Apply it on all over the scalp and leave it on for about 30 – 45 minutes.
- Finally, rinse off your hair with mild shampoo and water.
- If your hair feels oily then shampoo it twice and dry it thoroughly.
- Regular usage of this thyme oil will help you in preventing the hair thinning.
Note: Or stir 2 drops of thyme essential oil in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and apply it on the scalp. Leave for 30 minutes and rinse off your hair with water to thicken your hair.
Best Recipes of Essential Oils for Healthy Hair Growth:
Here is an amazing combination of essential oils for treating thin hair. Have a look at these methods and follow them to prevent hair thinning and hair fall problems.
Method – 1: (Scalp Massage Essential Oil)
- Take a jar and pour 1 ½ ounces each of grapeseed oil and jojoba oil as a base oil.
- Then add 30 drops each of pure rosemary oil, sage oil and cedarwood essential oil in it.
- Combine all these oil mixes by placing the lid securely and shake well.
- Apply it on the scalp and hair (wet or dry) and massage thoroughly.
- Let it sit for at least 20 minutes or apply it at night before bedtime and let it sit for overnight.
- Cover your hair with a towel or shower cap to prevent oil strain on the bed linens.
- After that, rinse your hair with mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Repeat the same process for once a day (for severe hair fall) or thrice a week to stop hair thinning and to stimulate hair growth.
Note: Or mix 2 drops each of thyme oil, rosemary, lavender and cedarwood oil and 1/2 teaspoon of jojoba oil in 3 – 5 teaspoons of grapeseed oil. Apply it on the scalp and Wrap your hair with a towel. Leave for overnight and rinse off in the morning. Do it twice a week.
Method – 2: (DIY Essential Oils Shampoo)
- Mix 1/2 cup of liquid castile soap and 1/4 cup of water in a glass jar.
- Stir well and add 4 teaspoons of coconut oil in it.
- Then pour this mix into an 8 oz glass bottle and add 14 drops of jojoba oil, 4 drops of rosemary oil and 10 drops of lavender essential oil in it.
- Stir well by adding another 1/4 cup of filtered water in it.
- Shake it well before every usage as a hair growth shampoo.
Method – 3: (Essential Oils Hair Rinse)
- Add 3 drops each of rosemary oil, West Indian bay oil and lavender oil and 1 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar in 3 ½ oz of rose (or lavender or geranium flower water).
- Stir well and mix 3 teaspoons of this hair rinse mix in 2 cups of warm water.
- Pour this water over the hair to rinse it well and repeat it once again.
- Finally, rinse the hair with plain water and do this hair rinse regularly for best results.
Note: Or simply mix 50 drops of any essential oils in 1/2 cup of organic apple cider vinegar and pour it in a 4 oz glass bottle for storage. While using, mix 3 teaspoons of this mix in 2 cups of warm water and use it to rinse your hair.
- Regularly rinse your hair by using a mild (or natural) shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy and well-balanced diet (like fish, nuts, eggs).
- Get enough sleep, as good night sleep will help you to shred all the impurities, reduce your stress and thereby enhance hair growth.
- Regular application of homemade natural hair oils will help the hair to grow effectively.
- Avoid usage of the chemical based hair products and hair styling products or tools.
- Nourish your hair with regular homemade hair masks and take your shower with chlorine free water.
- It’s best to work out for at least thrice a week and do yoga (or meditation) to reduce your stress levels.
- Consult your doctor if you’re suffering from any hair or scalp problems for proper diagnose and treatment.
- The essential oils are very strong and powerful that may cause irritation and itching on the skin, if not used in the right way.
- Never ever use essential oils neat or directly on the skin. So, dilute it with any carrier oil like coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, sesame oil, avocado oil, wheat germ oil, etc. before usage.
- Also, try some other essential oils like lemon oil, tea tree oil, roman chamomile oil, cypress oil, clary sage oil, carrot seed oil, Indian bay leaf oil, geranium oil, peppermint oil, patchouli oil, thyme white oil, vetiver oil, ylang-ylang oil, etc. can also be used for treating thin hair problem.
- For best and safe results, always use high quality and 100% pure essential oil for treating any skin or hair problems.
- Pregnant or nursing woman or children should not use this essential oil without consulting the health care provider.
Try these Essential Oils to Stop Hair Thinning and to Enjoy Think and Shiny Hair. Share your experience with us in the below comments box.