Constipation is a common digestive disorder that is caused due to difficulty in passing the hard stools and thereby remains the feces in the colon. It results in stomach ulcers, loss of appetite, bloating, acidity, depression, diabetes, liver disorder, etc. if not treated on time properly.
Lack of fiber and other nutritional diet, stress, lack of physical activities, certain medications, laxative abuse, etc. are some causes of constipation. Dry stool, lessen bowel movements, dehydration, etc. are some symptoms of constipation. There are some many natural remedies available for treating constipation.
Spinach is one among those natural remedies that is filled with fiber content and thereby aids in proper digestion and passes the stools to prevent constipation. In this article, let’s take a look at the amazing properties and methods of using spinach for clearing constipation.
How Does Spinach treat Constipation?
- Spinach helps to clear the intestine and thus improves bowel movement, as it acts upon the intestines and stomach channels to enhance regular bowel movement.
- It has rich content of fiber that makes the intestine to digest food easily and add bulk to stools to prevent constipation.
- It aids in proper digestion and promotes the movement of food through the intestine and thereby results in the free flow of feces from the body.
- It has an excellent source of magnesium (gut health promoting mineral) that helps for the growth of good colonic bacteria and thus draws water into the flush things through the intestine.
- Consumption of raw spinach will provide various components that help to cleanse, reconstruct and regenerate the intestinal tract.
- It not only regularizes bowel movement but also relieves your from the symptoms of constipation like diabetes, clears body heat to prevent loss of appetite, increases metabolism for a quick and proper breakdown of food, etc.
How to Treat Constipation using Spinach:
Here are some excellent ways of using spinach for treating your constipation. Let’s get started.
Method – 1: (Spinach Juice)
Drinking spinach juice regularly will help you to get complete relief from constipation and other digestive disorders.
- Take few spinach leaves and rinse them thoroughly.
- Place these leaves in a blender and blend it thoroughly to make it juice.
- Then take out the juice and pour 100 ml of raw spinach juice in a glass.
- Now add equal quantity (100 ml) of water to the glass and stir well.
- Drink it twice daily till you get complete relief from chronic constipation.
Note: Or simply include spinach in your diet either in the form of raw or cooked or boiled and consume it to get rid of constipation.
Method – 2: (Spinach Soup)
Intake of spinach soup will help to clean your intestine and thus regulates bowel movement.
- Start the process by chopping the bunch of spinach.
- Place this chopped spinach in a pot/pan and pour 2 cups of water in it.
- Let it boil for 2 – 4 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Drink this spinach soup for 2 – 3 times daily till you get relief from constipation and its symptoms.
Method – 3: (Spinach Stalk Drink)
The stalk of spinach helps to treat diabetes by improving digestion and enhance regular bowel movement.
- Thoroughly wash and chop a handful of spinach stalk and place it in a pot.
- Pour 2 cups of water in it and let it boil for 5 – 8 minutes.
- Drink this liquid throughout the day for 2 days and then continue to drink this for 3 – 4 times a week.
Tips and Precautions:
- It is advised to consume spinach 3 – 4 times a week till you regularized your bowel movement. Also, remember that consumption of more spinach will worsen the problem and causes constipation.
- People who are suffering from diarrhea, kidney problems (kidney stones or infections), pregnant and children should consult their doctor before taking spinach for constipation.
- The high amount of oxalic acid in spinach binds with calcium and iron. It makes the body absorb less of nutrients. So, to combat this problem, one should take vitamin C whenever you eat spinach.
- The intake of too much spinach (too much fiber) can contribute to stomach upset, gas, bloating, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, etc.
- For best results, drink 1 full glass of water every time you consume spinach, which helps the body to process fiber properly.
- A gut imbalance can cause or worsen the constipation. Apart from eating spinach, adding probiotics to your diet can be very helpful in treating constipation quickly. Natural probiotics don’t have the enough bacterial cell count to flourish the imbalanced gut. So, we recommend taking probiotics in supplement form.
- Include drinking plenty of water and consume 6 small meals rather than 3 big meals as a part of your diet to get rid of constipation.
- Do some regular exercises, reduce your stress levels, get plenty of rest, avoid late night eating, etc. has to be included in your lifestyle.
Try this spinach as a constipation treatment and share your experience with us in the below comments box.