Jock itch is an embarrassing skin problem which causes itching at a location where you can scratch when you’re alone in the restroom. It can be annoying with its itching and burning sensation in the affected area. Are you suffering from jock itch problem? Don’t worry, you’re not alone suffering from this problem, there are around 15 – 20 % of the world population is suffering from this infection.
Jock itch (or tinea cruris) is a fungal infection that caused by a fungus called Trichophyton rubrum. Both men and women will suffer from this jock itch but it is more common in athletes why because they sweat more than an average person and also wear sweaty clothes for long periods of time.
It infects the warm and moist areas of the body like inner thighs, buttocks, vaginal, groin, and anal regions by developing rashes in a ring-shaped and causes severe itching. It often appears as a result of athlete’s foot and thereby spread the infection from foot to the groin area.
Other causes that increase the risk of developing this fungal infection include overweight, improper skin care, excessive sweating, wearing tight underwear (skin friction in the thigh and groin area), weak immune system, stress, etc. People suffering from jock itch may experience certain symptoms like redness, itching, burning sensation and flaking skin on the affected parts of the body.
If not treated on time then results in red raised spots, which are sore and painful even with the touch of water or fabrics. Remember that jock itch is mildly contagious, so avoid sharing your personal belongings with others and treat them properties to get relief from this uncomfortable and embarrassing problem.
There are many antifungal medications available on the market but the usage of natural home remedies will provide you relief from the problem in a safe and effective manner. So, use natural remedies as the best substitute for anti-fungal medications.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Jock Itch:
Here are some best natural remedies that are widely used to treat jock itch. All you need is to follow these natural remedies along with maintaining some personal skin care hygiene.
Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Tea Tree Oil)
Being rich in antifungal, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, tea tree oil acts as an effective remedy for treating various skin infections, including jock itch. It contains powerful cleansing and stimulating elements that help you in alleviating the itching and inflammation caused due to jock itch.
Here are a few ways of using tea tree oil for jock itch.
- Mix 4 – 5 drops of tea tree oil in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and stir well. Apply this mix on the affected areas of the skin by using a cotton ball. Let it sit for few minutes and wipe the area gently. Continue doing the same process for twice daily until you get complete relief from jock itch.
- Also, apply tea tree oil directly on the affected area for twice daily and if you observe any burning sensation then rinse the area immediately and apply a moisturizer to soothe the irritation, itching and burning sensation.
- Pour few drops of tea tree oil in your bath water and soak in this water for about 15 minutes. Dry the skin and repeat it regularly till you get relief from the discomforts caused by jock itch.
- Mix 5 drops of tea tree oil, 10 drops each of lavender oil and myrrh oil, 2 tablespoons of ACV and 1/4 cup each of neem oil and coconut oil in a bowl. Stir well and transfer this mix into a glass jar which has a tight lid. Apply this mix as a homemade ointment on the infected areas or rashes. Leave and repeat its application twice daily until you get relief from itching, irritation, and infection.
- Use tea tree oil containing soaps or shower gel or soothing creams to get relief from the problem.
Remedy – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) exhibits antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory properties that help to deal with jock itch. It helps a lot in curing and controlling various skin infections. The simple way is to rinse the affected area with diluted ACV to get rid of jock itch.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ACV in 2 cups of warm water.
- Stir well and rinse the infected area with this ACV water.
- Allow it to dry on its own and continue this rinsing for 2 – 3 times daily, especially once at night before bedtime.
- Or simply mix 1 tablespoon of ACV and 1 teaspoon of raw honey in 1 glass of warm water. Stir well and consume it to enhance your immune system and also to balance your pH levels.
- Dilute 1/2 cup of ACV in 2 cups of water and warm the mix slightly. Then dip a clean cotton washcloth in this water and wring to remove excess. Place this on the infected areas for 5 – 10 minutes and take off the cloth. Dry the skin gently and repeat it twice daily until the infection is eliminated and the rash starts to heal.
Remedy – 3: (Rubbing Alcohol)
Rubbing alcohol helps to clear the fungus causing this infection and it also acts as a drying agent that helps to keep the affected area dry and clean which in turn makes fungus unable to thrive into the body.
- Take 90% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) in a small bowl.
- Then dip a cotton ball in this mix and dab it on the affected areas of the skin.
- Let it sit for a couple of minutes to get dried completely.
- Alcohol will evaporate quickly, which make you not to rinse the area and make it moist again.
- Continue doing the same process for few times daily until you get rid of jock itch and its symptoms.
Remedy – 4: (Listerine)
Listerine mouthwash not only cleanses your mouth but also helps a lot in clearing fungal infections like jock itch and athlete’s foot due to its antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties.
- Apply the amber Listerine mouthwash on the jock itch affected skin by using a cotton ball.
- Let it sit for few minutes until it dries completely.
- Initially, we will experience some burning or irritation but soon it will give relief from the inflammation and soreness.
- Rinse the area gently with water and dry it thoroughly.
- Do the same process for 3 – 4 times daily for few months to get rid of the problem.
Note: Never ever use Listerine on the open wounds.
Remedy – 5: (White Vinegar)
Not only apple cider vinegar, you can also use white vinegar which helps you in dealing with jock itch due to its antifungal and antiseptic properties.
- Mix 1 part of white vinegar with 4 parts of water and stir well.
- Take a clean washcloth and soak it in this water for a couple of minutes.
- Place this cloth on the affected area for few minutes.
- Use the water to rinse the area thoroughly.
- Let it dry naturally and avoid rinsing the area.
- Continue this process for once or twice daily until you get complete relief from the problem.
Note: Or simply mix equal quantities of coconut oil and white vinegar and apply it on the affected skin. Let it sit for a few hours before washing with lukewarm water. Repeat the same for twice daily to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 6: (Onion)
Onions exhibit antifungal, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that make the onion clear the fungus causing jock itch or athlete’s foot effectively.
- Take an onion and grind it into a fine paste.
- Apply it on the affected areas and let it sit for about 30 – 40 minutes.
- Rinse the applied area thoroughly with lukewarm water and dry the skin gently.
- Continue doing the same process for once or twice daily until you get complete relief from the problem.
- Include onions in your cooking to get microbial protection to your whole body.
- Grate 1/4 piece of an onion finely and squeeze to extract its juice in a small bowl. Dip a cotton ball in this onion juice and dab it directly on the rash. Rinse off with water after 20 – 30 minutes. Pat dry the skin and continue this process for once or twice daily until you get rid of jock itch.
- Instead of placing onion paste, you can also use onion oil or onion juice on the jock itch affected areas.
Remedy – 7: (Salt Water Bath)
Salt helps to control the growth of the fungus and aids in healing the infection quickly. So, a saltwater bath is one of the easiest ways to get rid of jock itch, boils & blisters. For this salt water bath, you can use bath salts, Epsom salts or table salt.
- Pour a generous amount of salt in your bathtub, which is filled with warm water.
- Stir and soak in this water for about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Dry your skin gently and thoroughly before wearing clothes.
- Continue this bathing process for at least twice daily to get quick relief from fungal infections like jock itch, ringworm and athlete’s foot.
Note: Epsom salt absorbs excess moisture from the affected area and oatmeal soothes your skin to calm down the itching and irritation. Add 2 cups of oatmeal, 10 drops of lavender oil and 1 cup of Epsom salt in your bathtub filled with warm water. Stir and soak for 20 minutes and rinse your body with water.
Remedy – 8: (Garlic)
Garlic is an excellent ingredient that has antifungal, antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to relieve your itching and pain caused by jock itch along with clearing the fungus causing jock itch.
Here are a few ways of using garlic to get rid of jock itch.
- Take few garlic cloves and crush them to make a paste. Apply this paste to the affected skin areas and let it dry for a few minutes. Rinse the area with water and do it 2 – 3 times daily. Remember if you have sensitive skin then avoid doing this remedy.
- Prepare garlic oil by frying a few garlic cloves in olive oil (or coconut oil) until the cloves turn brown. Cool and strain the oil. Apply this garlic oil to the jock itch infected areas and let it sit for a few hours to overnight. Wash the area and repeat the oil application 2 – 3 times daily.
- Simply consume raw garlic to boost up your immune system and to promote faster healing. Include garlic as a part of your daily diet (or) take it as a supplement daily by consulting your doctor.
Remedy – 9: (Honey)
The rich content of antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and skin soothing properties make the honey (especially manuka honey) as a great remedy for treating fungal infections like jock itch, nail fungus or ringworm.
It not only relieves you from itching and irritation but also heals the area to prevent the damage caused by this jock itch.
Here are a few ways of using honey for clearing jock itch.
- Take some honey (prefer manuka honey) and apply it to the affected areas. Let it sit for a minimum of 30 minutes and rinse off the area. Dry the area thoroughly and continue doing it once or twice daily until you get relief from the infection.
- Prepare a paste by mixing some minced garlic in 2 teaspoons of honey. Apply it on the infected skin and let it sit for about a few minutes and rinse off with water. This may cause some stinging sensation but will soon stop and give relief from the itching and inflammation. Continue applying this paste for once daily until you get relief from the problem.
Remedy – 10: (Hydrogen Peroxide)
Hydrogen peroxide exhibits antifungal, antimicrobial and disinfectant properties that help you in dealing with this jock itch. It causes a slight stinging sensation upon application but you will get rid of this infection.
- Dilute 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide in 1 teaspoon of water.
- Stir well and apply this mix to the affected skin areas by using a cotton ball at night before bedtime.
- Upon application, it will produce a stinging sensation for a couple of minutes.
- Wait for 2 – 3 minutes to get dried and apply petroleum jelly on the top.
- Leave for overnight and rinse off in the morning.
- For best and quick relief, repeat the same process daily at night time.
Other Effective Remedies:
- Bleach exhibits antifungal, antibacterial and antiseptic properties that help you in relieving your jock itch. Simply pour 1/4 cup of bleach in your bathtub filled with water. Stir and soak for 15 minutes daily. Dry your skin to clear the jock itch causing fungus.
- Baking soda exhibits strong antifungal, soothing and drying properties that help to neutralize the pH levels and thereby reduces the infection. Make a thick paste by mixing 1 tablespoon of baking soda with enough water and apply it to the infected area and rash. Rinse after 15 minutes and do it twice daily.
- Cornstarch absorbs the excess moisture from the skin and relieves your itching and irritation. Simply sprinkle some cornstarch on the rash and leave it like that as a powder. Repeat it few times daily.
- The natural soothing, antifungal, antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera will help you in treating jock itch. Take out aloe vera gel from an aloe leaf and apply it on the properly cleansed affected area. Massage gently and leave it on. Do it 2 – 3 times daily.
- Applying calamine lotion to the affected areas and rashes will soothe the skin and relieves itching and irritation caused by jock itch.
- Lemon exhibits antimicrobial and astringent properties that eliminate the infection and treat this tinea cruris effectively. Simply apply some water diluted fresh lemon juice on the affected areas by using a cotton ball. Rinse off after 4 – 5 minutes and pat dry the skin. Repeat it twice daily.
- Applying a few drops of coconut oil or herbal extracts (lemongrass extract or witch hazel extract or calendula extract or grapefruit seed extract) on the affected skin areas for twice daily will help you to get rid of the jock itch.
Tips and Precautions:
- Make sure to consult your doctor if you don’t get relief from this jock itch and to get proper diagnose and treatment.
- Reduce your overweight by following some exercises like walking, jogging, running, swimming, yoga, and other aerobic exercises to reduce your excess weight and to strengthen your immune system to get rid of these skin or health problems.
- Always keep your skin clean and dry in the groin area by using a clean towel and never ever use the same towel on the rest of the body. Use a separate and clean towel instead.
- Avoid wearing clothes which rub and irritates your skin. Also, shower immediately after athletic activities along with washing athletic supporters frequently.
- Wear loose-fitting clean underwear and avoid scratching your skin.
- Don’t use heavily perfumed fabric conditioners and washing powders to wash your clothes why because they may cause additional irritation in the affected area.
- Make sure to treat your fungal infections like athlete’s foot, ringworm, etc. (if any) to prevent the recurrence and spread to other body parts (if not treated properly).
- Before using any over the counter antifungal or drying powders, just give a trial to natural remedies which are safe and effective.
- Avoid sharing towels with others and also make sure to dry the skin thoroughly after swimming or showering.
- Avoid the intake of foods which are high in sugars, carbohydrates, alcoholic beverages, and others which encourage the fungus growth. Include more of fresh fruits and vegetables daily in your diet list.
- Discontinue the use of anything that develops irritation or a rash on the skin. If you suffer from any medical conditions then use these remedies with caution why because these remedies may cause some skin irritation or allergic reaction.
- Pregnant or nursing women and children should not use essential oils without consulting their doctor.
- Drink plenty of water along with other healthy fluids to flush out the toxins and to stay hydrated. Include probiotic-rich foods like yogurt, curd, miso, etc. to enhance good bacterial and to eliminate bad bacteria causing fungal infections.
- Get enough rest and have a sound sleep of about 7 – 8 hours to enhance your immunity to clear this jock itch and to prevent its recurrence.
Jock itch is a most common problem in people who engage in physical activities or athletes and we all know that prevention is better than cure. So, have some proper skin care hygiene and avoid touching the infected areas.
All these natural remedies and tips will surely give you relief from this uncomfortable and embarrassing skin disorder. Do you know any other successful natural home remedy to get rid of jock itch? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.
1. How to cure jock itch with skin care hygiene?
Here are few tips that help you to maintain good skin care hygiene and to get rid of this problem quickly without any recurrence.
- Wash the affected area with a pH balanced and non-soap cleanser.
- Avoid hot water for rinsing the area why because it will irritate the affected area and worsen the problem.
- Skip the bleach, detergents and fabric conditioner and use milder formula detergents until your rashes clear up and you get relief from the infection.
- Wear a clean and skin friendly underwear (prefer cotton based) which is hypoallergenic and absorbs sweat without any shrink upon frequent washing.
- Take regular baths and dry the area completely to keep them clean or else jock itch becomes itchier in hot and humid conditions. Never ever rub the groin area with the same towel which you are using for the whole body.
- Air dry the affected areas as much as possible and make sure at night before bedtime, opt for loose pajamas and also skip the underwear.
2. If left untreated then what are the risks associated with jock itch?
Jock itch can spread to all around its surrounding areas and private parts. It also develops a secondary infection which requires medical intervention to get relief from the problem.
3. Is jock itch contagious and can spread through oral or vaginal sex?
Yes, this jock itch is contagious and can spread through skin to skin contact with the affected region along with oral or vaginal sex (mainly through oral sex but not a sexually transmitted disease or yeast infection). Sharing towels or underwear along with usage of same soap on the body can spread this infection to other body parts or other.
4. How long does it take to get rid of the jock itch?
It depends upon the immune system and practicing good skin care hygiene. So, it may take a few days to weeks to get relief from this infection by using home remedies.
5. Does hot water helps or hurt jock itch area?
The usage of hot water will irritate the infected skin and increases itching. So, prefer to use warm water for washing the areas and to take your shower.
6. Do you think petroleum jelly is safe to use for jock itch?
Yes, of course, you can use non-adultered petroleum jelly which helps to soothe the irritated area and relieves your pain and itching. Prefer to apply this jelly at night before bedtime.
7. After curing this jock itch infection, the skin under the thighs became dark. Are there any tips to reduce the darkness of skin?
Applying fresh aloe vera gel or any natural oils (like coconut oil or almond oil) on the affected skin after clearing the infection will help to restore the natural health of the skin and thereby reduce your darkness.
8. What are the best creams to treat this fungal infection along with itching?
Most doctors suggest few creams like Diflucan or Lamisil as the best remedy to apply on the fungal infections and its symptoms like itching on the affected skin areas.