We all are aware that thyroid is a butterfly – shaped gland that located in the neck below Adam’s apple and it is a chief gland that regulates the body’s energy and metabolism by secreting the T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (thyroxine) hormones.
Hyperthyroidism (or overactive thyroid) is a condition that arises when your thyroid gland produces more of thyroxine hormone. This increase of thyroid hormone will, in turn, accelerate the energy and metabolism of the body.
It causes certain symptoms like heart palpitations (irregular heartbeat), excessive sweating, sudden weight loss, irritability, increased appetite, anxious, feeling easily strained, nervousness, changes in the menstrual cycle, fatigue, difficulty in sleeping, swelling at the back of the neck due to goiter, muscle weakness, brittle hair, skin thinning, changes in the bowel patterns, etc.
The hyperthyroidism is caused due to many factors like autoimmune disorder (Graves’ disease), abnormal secretion of thyroid stimulating hormones (TSH), inflammation of the thyroid gland, benign lumps or nodules in the thyroid, stress, excessive intake of iodine, abnormal secretion of thyroid stimulating hormones (TSH), malfunctioning of immune system, etc.
Do you know that women are 8 times more prone than men and they develop at the early age of 30’s? Many signs and symptoms of hyperthyroidism are common to other conditions. So, it may a bit difficult to diagnose this problem quickly.
The thyroid glands also have some effects on the bones, heart, muscles, and cholesterol. If left untreated then it results in bone and heart problems and in certain cases, it may lead to thyrotoxic crisis or thyroid storm.
So, if you suspect any sign or symptoms of hyperthyroidism, then consult your doctor for proper diagnose and treatment. Always remember that the quick diagnose of hyperthyroidism then you can get control over your thyroid and relieve your problem quickly.
Don’t worry; this is not a serious health problem. We can easily treat this hyperthyroidism and bring back the proper functioning of the thyroid gland with some natural remedies, supplements, healthy diet and lifestyle changes.
Home Remedies for Hyperthyroidism:
Here are some best home remedies explained below that are widely used to treat your hyperthyroidism in a safe and natural way. Let’s get started…
Remedy – 1: (Bugleweed)
Bugleweed (or lycopusvirginica) helps to treat hyperthyroidism when you’re experiencing certain symptoms like anxiety, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, weight loss, shaking, etc. The lithospermic acid in this bugleweed will help to reduce the amount of certain hormones (including T3 & T4) produced by the thyroid.
This acid content also helps to stops the binding of antibodies into the cells in the overactive thyroid gland and thereby prevents burning out. It effectively reduces the T3, T4 & TSH levels and inhibits the production of excess thyroid hormones. It is capable of blocking or slowing down the conversion of T4 to T3.
The tea and tincture are the best forms of using bugleweed for treating this overactive thyroid gland. Here are the recipes.
Bugleweed Tea – In 1 cup of hot water, pour ½ to 1 teaspoon of dried bugleweed herb (or 1 bugleweed tea bag) in it. Cover it and let it steep for about 8 – 10 minutes. Strain the tea and let it cool for few minutes. Then add honey to it and drink it once daily until you get relief from this overactive thyroid gland.
Bugleweed Tincture – Pour 1 teaspoon of water or any fruit juice in a small bowl. Then mix 4 – 7 drops of bugleweed tincture drops in it and place this mix under the tongue. A combination of bugleweed, lemon balm and motherwort will work well in treating hyperthyroidism naturally.
Note: Never use this herb for treating an enlarged thyroid gland or hypothyroidism or on certain medication for thyroid problems. Also, this herb is not suitable for pregnant and nursing women.
Remedy – 2: (Lemon Balm)
Lemon balm helps to block the hormone receptors which in turn stimulate the thyroid gland. This balm will inhibit the binding of TSH to thyroid tissues and auto – antibodies causing Graves’ disease. It regulates the thyroid with its natural source of flavonoids, phenolic acids, and other useful compounds.
You can use lemon balm in the form of tea, tincture, capsules or any other supplement forms for curing hyperthyroidism.
- Put 2 tablespoons of lemon balm herb in a pot and add pour 1 cup of hot water in the pot.
- Let it steep for about 5 – 10 minutes and then strain the tea.
- Allow it to cool down for few minutes and drink this lemon balm tea to get relief from hyperthyroidism.
- Regular follow up of this lemon balm tea for twice daily will not only help to cure hyperthyroidism but also treats hypertension, migraine headache and nervousness.
- Always start the use of lemon balm with a small dosage, about 1/2 teaspoon of lemon balm and then increase it up to 2 tablespoons for treating your problem.
- Just like lemon balm, motherwort also helps to normalize the overactive thyroid functioning. Simply drink motherwort tea (steep 1/2 teaspoon of motherwort in 1 cup of hot water for 5 – 8 minutes and strain it to drink) for thrice daily to clear hyperthyroidism (OR) mix 10 – 20 drops of motherwort tincture in a little water and drink this tincture for twice daily.
Remedy – 3: (Omega Fatty Acids)
There will be some hormonal imbalances or disturbances when your body not getting enough omega fatty acids. These acids will help to build the blocks for hormones, which in turn helps to control the functioning of immunity and cell growth.
They also regulate the inflammation through prostaglandins hormones that help to make your thyroid gland function as normal. These prostaglandins produce both omega – 3 & 6 fatty acids which are essential for regulating your thyroid glands.
Here are some of the best sources of omega – 3 & 6 fatty acids listed below. You can follow them regularly to get complete control over the hyperthyroidism.
- Omega – 3 fatty acids – Cold water fishes (like salmon, mackerel, herring, anchovies, sturgeon, anchovies, etc.), flaxseeds, grass – fed animal products, walnuts, etc.
- Omega – 6 fatty acids – Eggs, poultry, vegetable oils, cereals, etc. should be included in your diet. But make sure that omega – 3 should be more than omega – 6 to affect the tissues producing inflammation and thereby to prevent the triggers of the Graves’ disease.
Remedy – 4: (Gromwell)
Gromwell (especially purple gromwell) is another effective remedy used for treating overactive thyroid glands by keeping the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) to under control. Also, this herb will control the auto – antibodies that bind to TSH and thereby prevent hyperthyroidism.
- Put 1 teaspoon of gromwell herb in a pot and pour 1 cup of boiling water in it.
- Allow it to steep for about 10 – 15 minutes and strain the tea with the help of a strainer.
- Drink this warm tea regularly for 2 – 3 times daily until you get relief from hyperthyroidism.
Note: Make sure that pregnant women or people using any medications avoid taking this herb without out consulting your doctor.
Remedy – 5: (Passionflower)
Passionflower helps a lot in relaxing your body muscles, enhancing your sleeping mood, reducing the pain and slows down the heart rate to get relief from hyperthyroidism. It alleviates certain symptoms (both physical and mental) like confusion, hand tremors, irritability, inflammatory and insomnia.
- Place 1 tablespoon of fresh passion flower (or 1 teaspoon of dried herb) and 1/2 teaspoon of lemon balm in a muslin bag or tea infuser.
- Then add 1 cup of hot water to this tea infuser mug.
- Let it steep for 5 – 10 minutes and now take out the infuser and drink this tea at night about an hour before going to bed.
- Continue doing the same process in every time till you completely get rid of hyperthyroidism.
Note: People using anti – anxiety or anti-depression medications, pregnant or nursing women should not take this herb without consulting your doctor.
Remedy – 6: (Indian Gooseberry or Amla)
Indian gooseberry is a wonderful gift from Mother Nature that used to cure many health and beauty issues, including hyperthyroidism. It exhibits ameliorating effects on the thyroid gland to control the hormones produced by your thyroid and thereby cure the over activeness of thyroid gland.
- Mix some Indian gooseberry powder in enough raw honey to make it as a thick paste.
- Consume it in the morning before breakfast.
- Do the same process regularly in every morning until you make your thyroid to function normally.
Remedy – 7: (Goitrogens)
Goitrogens work as natural anti-thyroid drugs that slow down your thyroid in many ways. It restricts the ability of your body in utilizing the iodine or simply stops the process of iodine becoming your thyroid hormones. It also stops the excess secretion of the thyroid hormone.
Intake of cruciferous vegetables, Broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kale, mustard greens, cauliflower, bok choy, collards, kohlrabi, daikon, millets, pine nuts, radishes, peanuts, rutabaga peaches, spinach, strawberries, watercress, turnips, etc. are some rich sources of goitrogens but make sure to eat them raw instead of cooked.
Remedy – 8: (Valerian Root)
Insomnia is a common symptom for hyperthyroidism or overactive thyroid gland. The valerian root increases the gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) levels which in turn act as a neurotransmitter by the nervous system to send messages to your brain and thereby calm down it.
- Take 1 teaspoon of valerian root herb and place it in a tea pot.
- Pour 1 cup of warm water into the pot and steep it for about 10 minutes.
- Strain and stir by adding 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of raw honey to it.
- Drink this valerian root tea at night before bedtime.
- Regular intake of this tea will definitely help you to get rid of hyperthyroidism.
Remedy – 9: (Soy)
The moderate amount of soy consumption will be helpful in treating the hyperthyroidism. The rich content of isoflavones and proteins that work well in inhibiting the thyroid function.
But it is having a controversial issue in consuming the soy products why because some says that soy may suppress their thyroid functions and some others say that it may increase the problem. So, consult your doctor before taking the soy products, especially if you’re using any thyroid medicines.
Remedy – 10: (Oatmeal)
When the thyroid gland secretes excess hormones in the body will cause weakness and exhaustion in the body. Then the oatmeal will work against this weakness and exhaustion and also boost up the metabolic rate of the body.
Oatmeal has mild stimulant property and nervine tonic effectual in the nervous debility. So, consume 1 – 2 serving of the oats daily to get rid of hyperthyroidism.
Remedy – 11: (Diet)
A healthy diet will represent a healthy mind and body. So, here we mentioned some diet tips that help you in relieving your hyperthyroidism.
- Drink plenty of water to remove the toxins and other impurities from the body and also to enhance proper functioning of the thyroid gland.
- Avoid the intake of too much sugar (or sugary products), dairy products, carbohydrates, carbonated or caffeinated drinks, gluten containing products, etc. to get relief from the irritation or discomfort caused by the hyper activity of thyroid gland.
- Include organic foods, dietary fibers, whole grains, proteins, fresh fruits, and vegetables, etc. in your diet to get rid of the problem.
- Intake of nuts, quinoa, farmed fish, legumes, eggs, etc. in the diet along with enough of vitamin D and calcium will help you a lot in treating hyperthyroidism.
Tips and Precautions:
- Berries content rich content of vitamins and various antioxidants that reduce the inflammation of the thyroid gland. So, include different berries such as strawberries, cherries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc. in your diet to get relief from hyperthyroidism.
- Hawthorn shows a positive effect on the coronary blood flow, energy utilizations, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant property that help to treat this cardio symptom and thereby hyperthyroid problems.
- Intake of certain essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, B12 (B-vitamins) and magnesium will help you in lowering the hyperactivity of your thyroid gland.
- Regular exercises like swimming, walking, jogging, etc. for at least 30 minutes will help to keep proper blood circulation and thereby helps for the overall functioning of your thyroid gland.
- Perform yoga, meditation, and deep breathing exercises to reduce the thyroid related problems and other health issues.
- Weight will also contribute to thyroid problems. So, always maintain a healthy weight by consuming a nutritious food without putting any extra calories to gain your weight.
- You may also experience some drawbacks while experiencing this thyroid problem like weak bones (osteoporosis). So, consume calcium rich foods as a part of your daily diet.
- As we already mentioned that insufficient sleep will also cause a disturbance in your thyroid functioning. So, try to have enough sound sleep for a healthy and relaxed body.
- If you didn’t get any relief from the hyper activity of your thyroid gland then make sure to book an appointment with your doctor for proper diagnoses and treatment.
Follow these natural home remedies and tips to get relief from the overactive thyroid gland and to set it to function normally. Do you know any other effective natural remedies for treating hyperthyroidism? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.