Goiter – Abnormal enlargement of the thyroid gland which is caused due by too much produce of hormones (hyperthyroidism) or too less hormones (hypothyroidism). It causes swelling at the base of the neck which makes you feel difficulty in breathing and swallowing.
The thyroid gland produces triiodothyronine hormone (T3) and thyroxine hormone (T4) to regulate the metabolism and blood circulation, so when these T3 and T4 hormones are produced more or less then goiter will be caused.
Other reasons like iodine deficiency, Grave’s disease, Hashimoto’s disease, thyroid inflammation, nodules, pregnancy, thyroid cancer, etc. Anyone can get this goiter but the people with family history of thyroid or above 40 years or having radiation exposure are more prone to this problem.
However, be sure to check with your doctor to know whether you actually have a goiter. Then follow the below – mentioned natural remedies at home to get rid of the pain and other symptoms of goiter.
Herbal Home Remedies for Goiter:
Follow these natural home remedies which are safe, simple, cost-effective that gives long lasting results. Let’s get started.
Watercress (or scurvy grass) has a rich source of iodine, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants that are beneficial for the thyroid gland to perform its function properly and to cure goiter.
Steps to be followed…
- Crush or grind a handful of watercress to make a fine paste.
- Apply 2 tablespoons of watercress paste on the neck.
- Massage gently and leave it on for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with water and pat dry the area.
- Repeat the same process regularly to get complete relief from goiter.
Note: Or mix 2 tablespoons of watercress juice in 1/2 glass of water. Stir well and drink it 3 times daily for about 6 weeks to get rid of the problem.
Kelp is a kind of seaweed that helps a lot in treating goiter. It has high iodine content and has many essential nutrients like iron, calcium, potassium and magnesium that helps in regularizing thyroid functioning and thus prevents goiter.
Few ways to use kelp in your diet…
- You can easily find dried or prickled kelp (kombu) in an Asian market or natural health stores and use it to make Japanese dishes.
- Kelp tastes salty, so fill the dried kelp powder in a salt sprinkles (use instead of your regular salt) for seasoning your foods. Or use iodized salt with kelp powder.
- Mix 1 – 2 tablespoons of dried kelp powder to your smoothies that are prepared with fruits, milk, and ice.
- Mix raw kelp noodles to your raw soups or salads. Or simply make a raw kelp noodle dish with these noodles. Also, soak some kelp buds and add them to your salads and wraps.
- Prepare salad dressing by blending soaked kelp buds with some good oil (use olive oil or vinegar) and use it regularly.
3. Dandelion Leaves:
Dandelion is a useful herb that used for treating various problems. For goiter, dandelion helps to reduce swelling in the neck region and relieves you from the discomfort that was caused due to an enlarged thyroid gland.
Steps to be followed…
- Crush a handful of dandelion leaves to make it a fine paste.
- If you want, you can add a little of water while making a paste.
- Add 2 tablespoons of clarified butter (ghee) in dandelion paste and stir well.
- Heat this mix till lukewarm and apply it all over the neck region but focus more on the swollen area.
- Allow it to sit for about 15 – 20 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Repeat the same daily for 2 – 3 weeks to get rid of goiter.
Note: Or smear 2 – 4 dandelion leaves with clarified butter on one side and warm the leaves gently. Put it on the goiter and secure it with a tape or bandage. Let it sit for few hours and remove this poultice.
Kanchanara (or kachnar) is a folk herbal remedy that used for treating thyroid problems like reducing swollen glands, glandular enlargements, etc. It is beneficial for both hyper and hypothyroid due to its balancing effects on the thyroxine’s production (not more or less hormones).
Steps to be followed…
- Add 2 ½ teaspoons of kachnar bark powder and 3/4 cup of water in a wide mouthed vessel.
- Boil it for few minutes on medium heat till the quantity is reduced to 1/4 of the original one.
- Stir it continuously while boiling this decoction and strain in a container.
- Then add 1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder to half of this decoction and mix well.
- Consume it in the morning before breakfast and remaining 1/2 quantity of decoction in the evening by adding ginger powder to it before a meal.
- Make sure that not to re-heat this decoction while drinking in the evening time.
- Regular intake of this decoction will definitely help you to get rid of goiter.
Garlic has therapeutic properties that reduce swelling of the neck and encourages the production of glutathione (a molecule that maintains healthy thyroid gland). It also has anti – inflammatory, antioxidant properties and plant chemical that helps for the proper functioning of body cell and cure goiter. So, include garlic in your daily diet.
Few ways of using garlic in your diet…
- Chew 3 – 5 raw garlic cloves in the morning or add these in your soups or sauces.
- Mix minced garlic, chopped tomatoes and onions with some olive oil to make a salsa. Consume it daily to get rid of goiter.
- Prepare salad dressing by mixing minced garlic, chopped parsley and fresh lemon juice. Use it regularly.
- Sprinkle some raw minced garlic on a buttered toast.
- Make a delicious dip by mixing garlic to mashed avocados or mashed potatoes.
- Consume tea that prepared with garlic, honey and lemon with warm water.
6. Sorrel Leaves:
Sorrel leaves (or spinach dock) have many nutrients that include iodine which is very essential for proper functioning of thyroid glands and thus prevents goiter.
Steps to be followed…
- Crush a handful of sorrel leaves till it forms a fine paste.
- Then add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in this paste and stir well.
- Lie down and apply this paste on the goiter affected neck areas.
- Let it sit for about 30 – 45 minutes and wash the area with warm water.
- Do the same process for once daily till the swelling and goiter has gone completely.
Note: Or use these leaves for making your soups, salads, and sauces and have it to get rid of goiter.
7. Lemon Balm Tea:
Lemon balm strengthens the immune system and regulates the hormone levels. It has a rich amount of selenium that helps to perform thyroid function properly by regulating pituitary gland. It also restores the hormone levels to prevent goiter and other auto-immune thyroid diseases.
Steps to be followed…
- Place 2 tablespoons of dried lemon balm (or 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon balm) in a cup.
- Pour boiling water over the cup and cover it.
- Allow it to steep for 8 – 10 minutes and strain it.
- Stir with honey and drink it.
- Consume this tea for 3 times daily to get relief from goiter.
Note: Also, include green tea, motherwort tea and bugleweed tea along with this lemon balm tea in your daily lifestyle to get rid of goiter.
8. Diet Plan:
Diet plays an important role in proper functioning all the body parts and glands which in turn results in overall health. It is essential to follow a proper diet for getting rid of goiter. Here’s the diet plan.
- Iodine deficiency is one major cause for goiter. So, include iodine rich foods like iodized salt, seafood, codfish, tuna, shrimp, eggs, kale, turkey, cow’s milk, navy beans, natural yogurt, cranberries, baked potato with skin, cabbage, etc. in your daily diet. But be sure that not to exceed the daily recommended dosage of iodine (150 gms), as excessive intake causes goiter in certain cases.
- Include coconut oil, flaxseeds and a glass of barley water in your daily diet to reduce the goiter symptoms.
For proper functioning of thyroid glands, selenium is very essential. So, include selenium-rich foods like liver, Brazil nuts, shellfish, mushrooms, crab, kidney, brown rice, oats, sunflower seeds, onions, meat, eggs, etc. in your diet.
- Limit goitrogenic foods which work in an unfriendly way on thyroid glands by simply interfere with the metabolism of iodine. Goitrogens food like cabbage, peanuts, soy beans, turnips, cauliflower, radish, sweet potatoes, etc.
- Have fresh fruits and vegetables along with plenty of water regularly.
- Avoid processed, oily and spicy foods and gluten foods.
Tips and Precautions:
- Flaxseeds have antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the swelling of thyroid glands. Mix 2 tablespoons of crushed flaxseed powder in water to make a paste. Apply it on the throat and neck and rinse off after 20 – 25 minutes.
- Regularly have some exercises that include neck stretches and other exercises specific for thyroid and goiter. Also, use massage therapy and other techniques like reflexology and acupuncture to cure goiter.
- Eat small but several meals rather than 1 – 2 heavy meals, as this allows the body to absorb all the nutrients better from the food which we ate.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t find any relief from goiter and its symptoms for immediate diagnose and treatment.
This is all about Natural Remedies for Goiter Relief. Try these methods and share your experience with us.