An Itchy eye is a common problem faced by most of the people, especially during allergy season or high polluted environments.
It can be a symptom of any underlying cause. Although it doesn’t damage your eyesight, they cause itchy, irritation and other discomforts. If you’re having any unpleasant itchy sensation in and around the eyes are considered as an itchy eye.
Allergies to pollen (or pet allergies), dry eyes, asthma (or respiratory problems), eczema, bacterial infections, sensitivity to certain cosmetic products, warm climates, improper hygiene while using contact lenses, etc. are some of the causes of itchy eyes.
Burning sensation, continuous itching, inflamed eyelids, runny eyes, sensitivity to light, red and irritated eyes, etc. are some of the symptoms of itchy eyes.
However, there are many antihistamine drops available for relieving your itchy eyes caused due to allergies but the usage of natural home remedies will give you a safe and long lasting relief from redness and itching of your eyes.
Home Remedies for Itchy Eyes:
The following are the best effective natural home remedies that help you to get rid of itchy eyes.
Remedy – 1: (Water and Salt)
Water and salt combination (saline solution) helps to treat painful and itchy eyes. Rinsing your eyes with this process will clear irritated and inflamed eyes, as it washes away the debris that collected in the eyes.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of distilled water.
- Boil it for few minutes till the salt dissolves completely.
- Let it cool for few minutes and then use it to rinse your eyes.
- Continue using this natural homemade saline solution as an eye rinse for several times a day for few days till you get rid of itchy eyes.
Remedy – 2: (Green Tea)
Green tea has many amazing health benefits that include relieving itchy eyes. It has bioflavonoid, tannic acid, anti-inflammatory and soothing property that soothes the irritated eye.
- Pour 2 green tea bags in 1 cup of distilled water.
- Let it steep for few minutes and remove the tea bags.
- Wait for few minutes for the tea to get cool completely.
- Then flush your eyes with this tea solution for twice daily till your symptoms subside.
- Or refrigerate the used green tea bags and place it on your eyes to get rid of itchy and puffy eyes.
Note: Or use black tea bag instead of green tea bag to clear itchy eyes.
Remedy – 3: (Aloe Vera)
Aloe vera has moisturizing and soothing properties that make it as an effective remedy for dry and itchy eyes.
- Extract aloe vera gel from an aloe leaf and place it in a bowl.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of honey and 1/2 cup of elderberry blossom tea in it.
- Stir well and use it to rinse your eyes with this solution for twice daily.
- Repeat it daily till you get relief from itchy eyes.
Note: Or use freshly prepared aloe vera juice as your eyewash (or) simply apply aloe vera gel around the affected eye to get rid of itching.
Remedy – 4: (Potato)
Raw potato has an astringent property that relieves you from redness and inflammation which in turn relieves you from itchy eyes. It has antioxidants and nutrients that keep your eyes healthy.
- Cut a potato into thin slices and refrigerate them for several minutes.
- Place the chilled potato slices over your closed eyes.
- Relax yourself for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Then remove it and repeat the same process 2 – 3 times daily (once at night before bedtime).
Remedy – 5: (Fenugreek)
Fenugreek will give you a complete relief from itching eyes with its rich content of vitamin C, potassium and proteins.
- Take few fenugreek seeds and soak it in water for 7 – 8 hours or overnight.
- Grind the soaked fenugreek seeds into a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste over your eyes thoroughly, but not into your eyes.
- Let it sit for about 20 – 25 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
- Do the same process for twice daily to get rid of the problem.
Remedy – 6: (Castor Oil)
Dry eyes are also a cause for itchy eyes. So, moisturize your dry eyes with some natural oils. Applying castor oil will help to soothe the eyes, reduce swelling and makes your free from itchy eyes.
- Pour a drop of castor oil into your eyes using a dropper.
- Also, massage all over the eyes gently with castor oil, especially at night before bedtime.
- Let it sit for few minutes to overnight and rinse your eyes gently.
- Repeat the same process regularly to prevent itchy eyes.
Remedy – 7: (Cold Compress)
A cold compress will soothe the itchy and irritated eyes instantly. It is the simple home remedy used to cure many skin problems.
- Soak a clean washcloth in ice cold water for few minutes.
- Then wring it to remove the excess water and place it over your closed eyes.
- Let it sit for few minutes to get some cooling effect (numbing sensation).
- Now take out the cloth and repeat it after some time.
- Continue applying a cold compress for 2 – 3 times daily to get rid of itching eyes.
Note: Also, applying cold compress in the form of chilled spoons, frozen peas, frozen vegetables, used and refrigerated herbal tea bags, ice cubes place in a cloth, etc. around the affected eye area will give an instant relief.
Tips to reduce Itchy Eyes:
- Rose water has a soothing and cooling effect on the eyes. Rinse the eyes with rosewater for twice daily (or) use rosewater as your eye drops for instant relief, just pour 2 – 3 drops into the inflamed eye.
- Cucumber soothes the irritation, inflammation, swelling and puffiness which occur due to itchy eyes. Cut the clean cucumber into thin slices and refrigerate it. Place it on your closed eyes by lying down for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Placing a cotton ball dipped in cold milk around your closed eyes will help you to get rid of itchy eyes. Also, rub the ball over the affected eye to prevent itching.
- Drinking juices from raw vegetables, leafy greens or fresh fruits will help to prevent itchy eyes. Regular intake of fresh juice for twice daily will definitely help you to get relief from itchy eyes.
- Witch hazel is another healing ingredient used for treating itchy eyes with its astringent property. Soak a cotton ball in witch hazel and apply it over your eyes for few minutes.
- Drinking plenty of water will flush out all the toxins from your body, including eyes, which in turn helps to treat eye irritation.
- Even apple cider vinegar with its antiseptic and antibacterial properties will help to clear the itching of your eyes along with reliving other eye infections. Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of water. Rinse your eyes with this mix regularly.
Precautions to be Followed:
- Prevention is always better than cure. So, avoid allergens to get control over eye itching.
- Choose chicken than beef, take fish oil supplements daily, butterbur, etc. to get rid of the allergies.
- Avoid environmental pollutants or irritants that lead to allergies. Also, never ever leave home without a wide – brimmed hat and sunglasses, as these will keep the pollen from blowing into the eyes and makes it free from itchy and watery.
- Acupuncture might help to get rid of allergies. So, have some sessions of acupuncture and use less of over the counter eye drops or medicines.
- Place a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter in your vacuum cleaner, air conditioner or heating system, freestanding air purifier to get rid of allergies (allergens) and thereby itchy and dry eyes.
- Take your bath twice daily i.e. once in the morning before going out and once at evening after coming home to get rid of pollens. Also, wear those clothes after proper washing.
- Consult your doctor if you didn’t get any relief from the itchy eyes, as it can be a symptom of any underlying health issue.
Hope you’ll try these remedies with tips and precautions to get relief from itchy eyes. Let me know which one you find best in treating your itchy eyes by sharing your experience with us.