Dry and damaged hair is a common complaint for most of us. The main reason is that when you’re hair strands unable to receive enough moisture or unable to retain the moisture and thereby results in rough, dry, dull, frizzy and lifeless hair.
We all know that dry and damaged hair will lead to many hair problems and also results in hair loss. Dry climate, usage of harsh hair care products, heated styling tools, usage of chlorinated water, improper hair hygiene, etc. will cause this dry and damaged hair.
There are many cosmetic hair products that add moisture to the hair but in the long run, they also make the hair dry, dull and damaged. So, always prefer to use natural remedies for treating this hair problem at home without losing your hair.
However there are many natural remedies for treating the dry and damaged hair but here in this article, we will discuss an amazing natural ingredient called EGG.
Most of us know that egg is good for treating many hair problems like hair growth, dry & frizzy hair, dandruff, oily hair, damaged hair, etc. So, try these egg methods for treating your dry and damaged hair.
Let’s get started…
How Does Egg work for Dry and Damaged Hair?
We know that an egg is enriched with proteins and there is a protein called keratin, which is essential for proper hair growth. But its benefits for hair are more than that and both egg white and egg yolk are beneficial for healthy hair growth.
- Egg yolk has healthy fatty acids that help to moisture your dry hair and rehydrate it. It effectively closes the open cuticles and then smoothens the rough, dry and frizzy hair.
- Vitamin A content in egg yolk helps to promote the production of sebum in the scalp which in turn moisturizes the dry scalp and hair.
- It is enriched with protein that effectively used to strengthen the hair follicles and thereby prevents the breakage and dandruff that caused due to dry hair.
- It has essential vitamins (E & B-complex) will improve the circulation and boost the oxygen supply to the hair, which in turn helps to rejuvenate the dry and dull hair.
- The egg white contains bacteria-eating enzymes that help to cleanse the scalp and hair thoroughly to prevent dandruff and other further damage to the hair.
How to Treat Dry Hair using Eggs?
Here are some best ways of using eggs for treating dry, damaged and frizzy hair. Have a look at them and follow it regularly till you get complete relief from the problem.
Method – 1: (Eggs)
This is an initial method that uses only egg to moisture your hair and thereby to clear the problem.
- Break 2 – 3 eggs in a bowl and thoroughly beat it till it forms frothy.
- Then wet your hair and apply this eggs mix all over the hair and scalp by massaging it.
- Secure it with a shower cap and let it sit for about 45 – 60 minutes.
- After that, rinse the hair thoroughly with cool water and mild shampoo.
- Continue doing the same process regularly for 2 – 3 times a week.
Note: If you’re getting any unpleasant smell of an egg then add few drops of lemon juice to the egg mix before applying, as lemon strengthen the hair strands and rejuvenate dry and frizzy hair along with reducing the smell of an egg.
Method – 2: (Egg with Yogurt)
Yogurt has lactic acid that exfoliates the scalp and moisturizes the hair with its protein and fat content. This combination will nourish your hair and prevents from breaking by strengthening the weak or dry hair strands.
- Whip up an egg and mix it with 2 – 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt.
- Apply it on all over the hair and scalp and secure it with a shower cap.
- Leave it on for an hour and rinse the hair thoroughly with cool water and mild shampoo.
- Regular follow – up of this hair pack for twice a week will definitely help you to get rid of the problem.
Note: Also, you can use raw full-fat milk or mayonnaise instead of yogurt on your wet scalp and hair. Repeat it 3 – 4 times a week.
Method – 3: (Egg Hair Pack with Olive Oil)
Olive oil has rich content of vitamins (A & E) and antioxidants that help a lot in protecting the keratin in the hair strands and thereby moisturizes and nourishes the hair.
- Whisk an egg in a bowl by using a fork and add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in it.
- Stir well and apply this mix on all over the damp hair by massaging it gently for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and rinse off with cold water and mild shampoo after an hour.
- Repeat it regularly till you get complete relief from the problem.
- Or replace olive oil with organic coconut oil, which is enriched with fatty acids that moisturize your hair and prevent the breakage by binding with the hair proteins.
- Or simply mix properly whipped 3 egg yolks and 1/2 cup of olive oil in 1 cup of mayonnaise and stir well. Spread it all over the dry hair and secure it with a plastic shower cap and rinse your hair after 10 – 20 minutes with water.
Method – 4: (Egg Mask with Avocado)
The avocados have monounsaturated fatty acids that penetrate into the hair cuticles and thereby moisturize the hair to prevent dry and damaged hair.
- Mash 1/2 a ripe avocado piece and break an egg.
- Whip the egg and stir it in avocado mash using a fork.
- Apply this mix all over the damp hair and scalp and secure your hair with a shower cap.
- Leave it for an hour and rinse the hair with cold water followed by mild shampoo.
- Regular application of this hair mask for 3 – 4 times a week will help you a lot in dealing with this dry and damaged hair.
Note: Or simply use a mashed ripe banana instead of avocado and rinse your hair after 40 minutes to keep your hair hydrated, smooth and shiny.
Mask – 5: (Egg Hair Pack with Honey)
Honey exhibits humectant property that attracts the moisture from surrounding and traps it in the hair shafts to prevent dry or frizzy hair. This combination helps to hydrate the hair follicles and prevents it from further damage.
- Break 2 eggs and whisk it thoroughly in a bowl.
- Then add 1/2 cup of raw honey to it and stir well.
- Spread this mix all over the damp hair and scalp by massaging it gently for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and wait for an hour to rinse your hair with cold water and mild shampoo.
Note: Or simply mix 2 tablespoons of castor oil in egg – honey mix and apply it on all over the hair. Rinse off after 30 – 45 minutes to prevent dryness, frizzy and itchy scalp.
Tips and Suggestions:
- Avoid using hot water for rinsing your hair after placing an egg on your hair, as hot water curdles the eggs and thus makes it sticky to the hair. So, use cold water to rinse your hair first and follow a mild shampoo rinse to get rid of an egg smell and to prevent dry hair.
- Always use fresh eggs every time, you apply these egg methods on your hair for best results. Also, dampen your hair and scalp for proper application and spreading of these egg mix.
- Make sure to use a mild organic shampoo (or natural shampoo) to rinse your hair for more effective results.
- Use few drops of any of your favorite essential oils to these egg hair masks to stimulate the hair growth and to get rid of the egg smell.
- Use a hydrating shampoo that moisturizes your hair while rinsing it. To prevent the recurrence of this dry and damaged hair, you have to limit the usage of blow dries and other heated styling tools.
- Go for warm oil massages on your hair for 2 – 3 times a week regularly to moisturize the scalp and prevent dryness.
- Drink plenty of water and healthy diet to maintain a proper balance of nutrients in the body and hair.
Try these natural Egg Methods for Dry and Damaged Hair. Do you know any other successful application of egg for treating dry hair? Then share your experience with us in the below comments box.
Leave a Reply