Are you suffering ear infection and throbbing pain, which makes you unable to concentrate on anything? Do you know the causes and symptoms of an ear infection? Did you know that antibiotics and pain relievers will won’t effective in treating an ear infection?
Worrying about what relieves your problem! Don’t worry, there are some natural remedies which treat the ear infection and relieve you from the pain caused by it.
Before starting into the article, we will know all about the ear infection and its causes.
Ear infection can be either bacterial or viral (mostly viral infections) is mainly caused due to two reasons – first swimmer’s ear (water gets trapped in the ear canal due to the buildup of wax) and the second one is the middle ear infection (related to upper respiratory infection or allergy, which caused due to the buildup in the ear).
Other reasons include food allergies or gluten sensitivity, genetics, poor diet, fetal alcohol syndrome, internal injuries, environmental irritants, etc. Mild to severe pain, difficulty sleeping, tugging at the ear, poor response to sounds, vomiting, high fever, diarrhea, headache, fluid drainage from the ear, etc. are some symptoms.
An ear infection can occur in any of the three parts – inner ear, middle ear and outer ear but the inner ear infection is most serious and has to be treated quickly. However, untreated ear infections can result in chronic recurrence and even leads to deafness.
Children are more prone to this ear infection rather than adults. Consult the doctor immediately to treat the ear infections with proper diagnose.
Here are some best natural remedies that help you to treat ear infection at home. Let’s get started.
Home Remedies for Ear Infection:
The below mentioned are the best and widely used natural home remedies for treating the ear infection.
Remedy – 1: (Salt)
Salt has an antibacterial property that relieves the bacterial infection and it also helps to draw out the fluid from the ear to reduce pain, swelling, and infection.
- Heat 1 cup of salt over heat for few minutes (or heat in microwave for a minute or two).
- Pour this hot salt on a cotton cloth / clean sock and tie it up.
- Check whether you can bear the hot or not and then place it on the affected ear by lying down.
- Leave it for 5 – 10 minutes and repeat it regularly as needed to draw out the fluid and reduce pain and swelling.
- Or use 1 cup of rice instead of salt in the same manner.
- Also, you can use a hot water bottle or any warm compress ( a cloth soaked in hot water) on the affected ear to get rid of the problem.
- Remember that not to apply heat to the ear for a longer time.
Remedy – 2: (Apple Cider Vinegar)
Gargling with apple cider vinegar (ACV) helps to open up the Eustachian tube and thereby clears the fluid or wax build up causing the infection. It also has antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that clear the bacteria or virus causing infections and also soothes the irritated area by relieving pain.
- Mix 1 part each of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water in a bowl.
- Soak a cotton ball in this mix and place it on the affected ear like a plug.
- Wait for 5minutes and lay down on the opposite side by removing the cotton ball to drain out the liquid from the ear.
- After that, dry the ear using a hair dryer to get rid of the infection.
- Also, use this diluted ACV mix for gargling few seconds to get rid of the infection, which is caused by blocking the Eustachian tubes.
- Use white vinegar instead of ACV (if unable) to treat this ear infection.
Remedy – 3: (Garlic)
Garlic contains allicin and other powerful compounds that work as antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties will help you in dealing with the ear infection.
Read more on How to Get Rid of Ear Infection using Garlic.
Remedy – 4: (Basil)
Basil has a high content of antibacterial and antioxidant properties that heal the ear infection along with an earache.
- Crush 4 – 6 fresh basil leaves and extract its juice.
- Pour this basil juice in and around the infected ear and leave it like that for few minutes.
- Tilt the head to get rid of the excess juice along with the infection.
- Avoid the juice getting into the ear canal.
- Or simply mix equal quantities of (few drops) of basil oil and any carrier oil. Soak a cotton ball in this mix and wipe it inside the ear, behind and around the outer edge of the ear. Do it twice daily to get relief from the problem.
Remedy – 5: (Onions)
Onions have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat bacterial ear infections along with relieving your pain and swelling.
- Chop an onion and microwave it for 1 – 3 minutes.
- Let it cool down and strain it to extract its juice.
- Tilt your head and pour 2 – 3 drops of this warm onion juice into the infected ear by using a medical dropper.
- Let it soak for 5 – 7 minutes and tilt to another side to clear the drainage.
- Dry your ear with a clean cloth or use a hair dryer and repeat the same process for several times daily.
Note: Or simply bake an onion for 30 minutes and cut it into halves. Put 1/2 of this onion in a thick cloth and place it on the infected ear for 5 minutes. Wait for 10 minutes and repeat it.
Remedy – 6: (Olive Oil)
Olive oil is very effective in treating the ear infection with is caused due to the buildup of ear wax. It prevents bacterial growth and reduces the pain, discomfort, and irritation in the affected ear.
Check out more on How to Deal with Ear Infection using Olive Oil.
Remedy – 7: (Mullein Flower Oil)
The oil extracted from the mullein flowers contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce the pain, irritation, and swelling. This extract is generally mixed with garlic oil for treating an ear infection.
- Pour few drops of mullein oil in a bowl and dip a cotton ball in it.
- Place the cotton ball in the infected ear and leave it for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Repeat it regularly as often as needed to get rid of pain and thereby infection.
Note: Or mix few drops of mullein oil with garlic oil and pour this oil drops in the affected ear as often as needed to get relief from the infection.
Remedy – 8: (Tea Tree Oil)
Tea tree oil has natural antibacterial, antiviral and antiseptic properties that kill the bacteria or virus causing the ear infection. It has an anti-inflammatory property that reduces the pain, swelling, and inflammation in the ear.
Click here to know more about How to use Tea Tree Oil for Ear Infection.
Tips and Precautions:
- You can also use other natural remedies like warm mango leaf juice, breast milk, elderberry syrup, turmeric, ginger, lemon balm, steam (to open up the Eustachian tube), etc. to treat an ear infection.
- Drink plenty of water and other healthy liquids like herbal teas, broth, soups, etc. to stay hydrated and to clear out the mucus.
- Intake of omega – 3 fats, lean proteins, zinc, and vitamins (C & D3) rich foods in your diet will help to treat the infection.
- Avoid the intake of sugars, processed or fatty foods, potential food allergens or conventional dairy to get rid of the infection.
- Consult a chiropractor to treat the ear infection in your children properly.
- Make sure to dry your ears properly after shower by using a towel or blowing a dryer in low setting.
- Wear a scarf or anything to cover the ear while going out in the windy weather.
- Chewing gum or yawning will help to open the clogged ear while in elevation or on an airplane.
- Quit smoking and drinking alcohol, as they worsen the problem and make it hard to cure it.
- Coat your ears thoroughly with mineral oils before going for swimming to prevent swimmer’s ear and thereby infection.
- Consult your doctor to know the root causes by proper diagnose and thereby take preventive steps to prevent the recurrence of this ear infection.
Try these natural remedies for an ear infection and share your experience with us in the below comments box.